Aodhan ex Verditius

Personal Build Points for Aodhan.

I'll be adding his personal contributions here. I'm figuring here is where we'll see why his Mater is so mad at him...

Vis source: Weeping Madonna
This carved statue is of the weeping Madonna, carved by monks trying to convert pagans in the lowlands near the Loch. Knowing that the locals would often gather at a 'Heathen Fane' with a prominent rock for their Spring festivals, the monks commissioned a sculptor who came and carved a beautiful and touching statue of the Madonna once the Spring Festival ended. Despite being tormented by fae the entire year, the monks protected the sculptor who managed to finish the statue the day before their festival. When the locals arrived they found the statue and the monks instead of their pagan stone. The monks were able to convert many of them, especially when the statue began weeping water in time with Good Friday at 3 in the afternoon. The Weeping Madonna is in a low level faerie regio throughout most of the year, but on the afternoon of Good friday until Easter Sunday a Divine Aura becomes dominant and the statue begins to weep. The water is Vim vis. The monks do not collect it as they are suspicious of the fact that the area is still faerie dominated most of the year. At the same time, they do not care too much for wizards to collect it for their use. Often a monk or monks can be found here during this time and must be dealt with to collect the water.

5 pawns of Vis 25 build points

The Crooked Path of Himinis (Verditian Cult Lore level 6 Quality 17) 35 Build Points
A book on Verditian Cult Lore, it is written in codes and runes that make it difficult to read if one is not a member of House Veriditius and initiated into some of the Cult's Mysteries (it requires deciphering as if the writer had the Incomprhensible flaw and a level 40 effect, or some other mechanic for deciphering if one is not a Veriditius with at least a 1 in Verditian Cult Lore). Those with the proper skill or patience can learn much of the secrets of the Verditian Cult and also earn the ire of the vengeful Confraternity of Himinis the Mad, as you have justified their paranoia by daring to learn their secrets without trying to join their brotherhood. Currently Aodhan is in possesion of the book but swears that his Pater gave him the copy.

Magister Vermicello Rolenti (Teacher 13 build points)
The Magister is a somewhat young man, but considered to be quite brilliant and charming. He's also run afoul of something that House Verditius is quite familiar with; Vengeful Corsicans. Members of House Veriditius have agreed to protect him in return for tutoring in the finer points of Latin and Philosophaie as well as Instruction techniques. Aodhan is protecting him now since Scotland is very far away (he hopes) from the Corsiacan family he offended.
Comm +3, Teaching +5, Philosophaie +5, Artes Liberales +5, Latin +5

Silver stocks 2 Build Points
Aodhan sold some of his apprentice works for a modest sum of 20 pounds of silver.

intrudes

You could also enchant your anvil with various effects that turn one substance into iron while the device concentrates, allowing you to use your Craft:Smith totals on different material.

Then there's always the Magical Lighting/Heating enchantments, and after that you may want to think about enchanting it with protective spells, cuz it's a pretty impressive item by that point.

flees before anyone complains

Why do you have 2 (Max) for the Shape and Material bonus? Wouldn't it depend on what the effect is? Aodhan's Magic Theory is high enough that the S&M isn't capped by his MT. So, if it's "+4 Metals, +2 Destroy," then it would be +4 for some of these effects. So his lab total would be 35 + S&M, right?

Isn't it +4 for similar spell? (The Phantom Blacksmith is Level 20, which is 4 magnitudes). So, it's LT 35 + 4 for S&M (Metals) + 4 similar spell bonus = 43, which is 18 points.

As above. 3 pawns + 10 for opening the item is 13 pawns, well within the 5xMT limit for annual vis use in character creation.

I would call it Base 2 for "slightly unnatural" at most, since cutting gemstones is natural...as opposed to making them stretch out to fill a windowpane or some such. Which would make the spell effect Level 15, and the total item effect 20.

Lab Total is 35 + S&M Bonus 2 for "Destroy" (and I had to think about that for a second) + 1 for matching TeFo = 38, so 18 points toward Item Creation. If you were feeling adventurous, you could Experiment and finish it in one season.

If not...

Yep.

Cha-chunk.

This effect is basically The Trackless Step with requisites for snow (Aquam) and vegetation (Herbam) and increased duration, right? Which would make the level 20. Which would require a season for opening the item and another for the second season of enchantment. Although the base level they use for The Trackless Stepisn't on the chart. It's not in the errata, either. Hmm. rereads the guidelines Although Base 2 does seem to make sense...which would make The Trackless Step cost wrong. Urf. Okay, let's go with what you got, and never mind my stream-of-consciousness meandering.

Isn't this exactly what Cloak of the Duck's Feathers does? ReAq 5. And his ReAq and MuCo lab totals seem to be the same. It would still only take a season to do, but only cost one pawn of vis instead of two.

The +2 Max represents the remainder after his Philosophiae gets added. 4 Philosophiae is 2 lower than his 6 Magic Theory, so even if the S&M offered +6 he could only get 2 out of it.

Yep, I just messed that up.

Nah, though I do want him to experiment on other stuff. This is meant to be a piece he's really proud of. This does save a pawn of vis though.

I'm surprised I missed the spell right there. But I have to agree, 2 seems to make more sense than 4. At 3 you're controlling dirt in a highly unnatural fashion. I wouldn't think preventing or erasing footprints is highly unnatural. Glad you agree!

Wow, missed that one too. Here I was thinking that it'd be difficult because I'd be Warding against water. My version perhaps provides more protection though as it specifically extends to everything worn and carried and doesn't dispell if immersed in water. If you're ok with that, I'll keep it as is and spend the extra vis for the enhanced effect.

This is a great idea. Think of what he could do with glass or other brittle materials! It would still be Muto Terram with perhaps an Animal and Herbam requisite to cover all kinds of materials. Or maybe even Corpus if I were to follow Jeanmichelle's lead...

"Ah, yes. This must be one of Aodhan's window panes. I'd recognize that Hammered Glass look anywhere."

Just giving this one more shout out if there's anything that must or should be changed. I'll be double checking it as well.

Aodhan as of Come Sail Away

Name: Aodhan Birth Name: Aodhan MacFhearghuis
House: Verditius Age: 30 Size 0 Confidence: 1/4 Warping: -/- Decrepitude: 0/0 Gender: Male Year Born: Race/Nationality: Scottish Place of Origin: Loch Leglan Tribunal Religion: Christian Title/Profession: Magus Height: 5’7” Weight: 165 Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown Handedness: Right

Characteristics:
Int +5 Str +1 Pre 0 Dex +1
Per+1 Sta +2 Comm +1 Quick 0

Virtues:
Hermetic Magus Free
The Gift Free
Verditius Magic Free
Inventive Genius Minor
Puissant Craft Minor Smithing
Puissant Craft Minor Jeweler
Increased Characteristics x2 Minor
Great Characteristic x2 Minor
Method Caster Minor
Skilled Parens Minor
Puissant Magic Theory Minor

Flaws:
Difficult Spontaneous Magic Minor
Chaotic Magic Major
Tormenting Master Major
Infamous Master (Mystery of Himinis the Mad) Minor
Oversensitive (Slights against craftsmanship) Minor
Bound Casting Tools Minor

Skills:
Native Language: Scots Gaelic 5 (Crafting terms)
Folk Ken 2 (Craftsmen)
Awareness 2 (Flaws in craftsmanship)
Brawl 2 (Punch)
Artes Liberales: 1 (Geometry)
Latin: 4 (Hermetic usage)
Magic Theory: 3+2/3 (Enchanting Items)
Parma: 1 (Mentem)
Bargain 3 (Magic Items)
Leadership 2 (Craftsmen)
Craft: Jewelry 3+2 (Gem setting)
Craft: Blacksmithing 3+2 (Weapons)
Philosophiae 3 (Verditius Runes)
Verditian Cult Lore 3/5 (Acting as Mystagogue)
Finesse 3 (Crafting with Magic)

Personality Traits:
Perfectionist +1
Eccentric +2
Brave +1

Magic Sigil: The smell of iron

Voting Sigil: Right triangle, engraved with runes

Arts:
Cr 5/5 An 4 Ig 4
In 5/5 Aq 4 Im 4
Mu 5/5 Au 4 Me 4
Pe 5/5 Co 4 Te 4
Re 5/5 He 4 Vi 5/5

XP Break down per year:
1: 30 xp on Cult Lore
2: 10 xp on Im, 10 xp on Aq, 10 xp on Au
3: 30 xp on Finesse
4: 10 xp on Cr, 10 xp on In, 10 xp on Mu
5: 10 xp on Pe, 10 xp on Re, 10 xp on Vi

((Don't forget to update his Wiki page, too, when you get a chance. I'm more likely to look there if I have to check something than I am here.))

Should be done with the XP...I have to do some more updates, I'll get them later. He now has a Mystery as well as Hubris.