"Appendix N" for Ars Magica

Does anyone have any ideas for "further reading" for Ars Magica? That is, fiction novels which either take place in medieval Europe, or capture the feel of Ars Magica? The only ones I can think of are the Cadfael Chronicles, but there has to be more.

Any thoughts?

"The name of the rose" by Umberto Eco, of course :slight_smile:

Ooh! Good one! I forgot about that, thanks!

The Bone-pedlar by Sylvian Hamilton. Can be hard to find but good for the period.

It's not a novel, but I really recommend The Magnificent Century. I found out about it from Fergeson's blog, where he admitted that Ars authors had plundered shamelessly from it for setting and story ideas. It's very lively, written (and again I am paraphrasing Tim here) as if by a member of the English court who loves to gossip.

amazon.com/The-Magnificent-C ... B007RF1OJC

This is a series of books that are sorta medieval times I guess -the xanth series by peirs Anthony.

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster-Bujold. It has a whole different magical cosmology, but it's great fantasy and it focuses strongly on character, not magic.

And I agree with the recommender of my recommendation for The Magnificent Century. Acutally that whole series, about the Plantagenants, is excellent. At some point we should go through it line by line to boxcut it to pieces.

Paul C. Doherty (AKA Paul Harding) has written a tonne of murder mysteries set in medieval England. I read most of his Hugh Corbett novels back in the day - they were set in the late 13th century.

Bernard Knight's Crowner John novels are set in Exeter in the 1190s - they're sort of like medieval police procedurals. He includes more historical detail than what I remember of Doherty's works, but his prose is so stodgy that I only managed to get through one of his books. YMMV though.

There are some threads around regarding this. No time to check for them now, but you can check the forums :slight_smile:

One that is interesting is The mason of New Orleans by CHarles Ryan. It is set in Triamore, the sample covenant of Ars Magica 4th edition (Ryan is the author of both books). While magic plays a minor role there it captures the feel. It uses the classic "21st century guy sent to medieval Europe" approach but the result is quite good, really. Title is an easy read, a page turner but it plays well. And it plays well as a mini saga for both Ars Magica and Pendragon.

Cheers,
Xavi

I liked a lot Le marchand de livres maudits (not sure what would be the translation... (french link and italian link). It is a quest about a book to invoque angels or learn their secret. The time period is +- 1205-1220 so it's really relevant to our game.

Thanks for all your suggestions, it's just what I was looking for. I started The Magnificent Century, and it's great!

Thanks again!

Count Scar and the Yurt series by C Dale Brittain. There is a whole lot more interference with mundanes than there is in Ars Magcia, but how magi and the church interact seems like a perfect fit.

Peter S. Beagle: The Last Unicorn
Ken Follett: The Pillars of the Earth