Argentius ex Verditius

unseen porter is a ReTe effect, not Mu. Aside from that the math works pretty well- you would get a +2 bonus for knowing the same (or a similar) spell of second magnitude (level 10) and you would get the level of your lower art a second time due to your focus on jewelry.

1 Like

To add to what the boss said, when I played a Verdirius, I found it helpful to note the effects and actual magnitudes/bases of enchanted items instead of just referencing existing spells, in case I had to look something up. It's a bit of extra bookkeeping now, but can save time in the long future.
Less important with basic effects out of the core book, but helpful as soon as anything is off-default.

Thank you both for the advice and thoughts. @raccoonmask I'm all about the bookkeeping. I have less than a thimbful of Silver's understanding of ArM and far less than most of you, I'm quite sure.

It's really helpful for me to break the enchanting rules into component parts. The core of the rules of enchanting aren't complex but the variations and possibilities get more and more complex.

I'll work on an invested item example or two as part of my learning/practice.

I'm trying to play out a few scenarios so I can better think about putting together a seasonal plan. I'm expecting that once the game gets rolling, Silver will be seeking to know our plans across multiple seasons.

Again, many thanks for the thoughts and advice!

Additionally, don't neglect to think about how to get your shape and material bonuses as a verditius. I mean, sure, you want to take advantage of your foci, but you could decide to vary the materials (not to mention your runes) to get a higher lab total.

1 Like

Shape and Material bonuses become important especially with the Mysteries of the house. The virtue that adds Shape bonuses to normal uses is great.

1 Like

Thoughts on a possible effect (or spell).

Create a gemstone.
Base 25 +1 Touch (per the CrTe guideline)
R: Touch. D: Mom. T: Ind

The rules for enchanting per ArM 5e p. 98 prohibit (generally) the use of ritual effects in an enchanted item.

My guess it that like Touch of Midas, a spell that would create a gemstone would likely also be a ritual. But I'm not really sure what forces the categorization of ritual. Is it the fact that the created thing becomes permanent? Seal the Earth and Wall of Protecting Stone both have Sun as duration and are not Rituals. Touch of Midas and Conjuring the Mystic Tower are rituals and both have momentary duration because once cast, the created thing exists and remains behind after the spell is past.

I'm going forward with the idea that such an effect would not be allowed because it's mimicking a ritual spell. Am I right?

Correct!

Let's go with this if we need a picture:

Argentius v1

I'm sorry this is so late, but just catching up on reading other people's character threads; there is Faerie Background, free supernatural virtue in RoP:F (112) that gives 1 each positive and negative sympathy traits.

But it's worth noting sympathy traits don't help in the laboratory unless you experiment.

That's a great call-out.

@silveroak Are you comfortable with that addition?

If we did, it seems like Nobility (positive) and Theft (negative) might be appropriate.

I am aware- though as written it would produce both of those traits at zero since you have no warping. I also don't see a connection to nobility in your faerie background (in your pre-faerie human background, but this is something different). If we were to make this modification to your character after approval (which i generally don't like) a sympathy with jewelry would seem a better positive association.

I'm 100 on board with that. We can make it something of a story development if things head in that direction.

@silveroak Can you confirm or correct my understanding of Argentius's lab?

Laboratory Characteristics Score Details
Size 8
Refinement 4
Occupied Size 4
General Quality 1
Upkeep 3 60 pts
Safety 0
Warping 1 Personality Trait: Bright
Health 0
Aesthetics 3 15 pts to rep?
Activity Specialization 1 2 Enchanting
Activity Speciaization 2 2 Teaching
Activity Specialization 3 1 Texts
Art Specialization 1 4 Intellego
Art Specialization 2 1 Imaginem
Art Specialization 3 1 Perdo
Virtues, Flaws, Outfittings, and Features
Greater Feature Map
Lesser Feature Forge
Lesser Feature Tablet
Superior Lighting
Palatial
Vile Surroundings Desert

these are correct
Personality trait is "bright"

1 Like

Roll of Seasons

Spring 1289: Read/Study Vi20q11. 11*.66=7.26. 7 xp to Vim.

Vim Score: 3 (from 0)

What year is it?

1 Like

Summer 1289:
Read/Study Vi16Q15
XP: 15 XP to Vim

Vim Score Change: 3 to 6 (7 xp + 15 xp = 22 xp)

what exposure xp did you take for your fall lab?

Magic Theory.

2xp right?

yes, that is correct. However we also have the complication that 2 magi have laid claim to the same lab text.