Arm5 Newbie with an electronic formats question

Hi All,

I'm completely new to Ars Magica, having just bought it from the current Bundle of Holding. I've just been skimming the core book so far, and very much liking what I've seen.

I also happen to be totally blind, and PDF support in my screen reader of choice is kind of subpar at best. I was wondering if there might be resources like character and record sheets, for instance, available in another format? Almost anything would be easier for me to use. While I'm dreaming, an alternate format of the core book would be lovely, but I imagine that's not very likely without some kind of divine intervention :slight_smile:

Any help y'all could give in this area would be appreciated. I don't know when I might be able to play this game, but hope the answer is sometime soon.

Thanks much!

First, if you've got a good OpenDocument reader, this link: chaomancer.net/blog/?p=304 has its version 1.40, which I find works quite well if you really need a clear and easy-to-understand character sheet. I personally don't use standard character sheets, myself, because I find it much easier to simply copy down the templates used in the books by hand. Or, rather, by keyboard, but the distinction is irrelevant.

Second, you are sadly correct. As far as I have seen, neither God nor Atlas Games have called down a miracle to show us the entire Core rulebook in a format other than PDF and physical book.

Third, welcome to the forum, and to Ars Magica! It may be a little difficult at first, but I hope and expect that you'll have a great time once you get into it! I can't wait to have further discussion with you on these boards once you've got yourself sorted out, and I (as well as many others on this site) would be glad to help with any rules clarifications as you go about learning the system. Best of luck!

Unfortunately, I'm don't think there are any other official CSs available.

It's a moot point, however, as neither do I have any clue which formats work well with PDF readers...

I, too, actually prefer to work in a word processor. Although my preferred format is slightly different than the official template. I attach it below, and an example of it can be seen at
redcap.org/page/Trianoma_Pol ... _(Template

I once played in a saga that used an HTML character sheet. Here it is:
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OUh5 ... sp=sharing

My preferred format for a word-processor character sheet (with some pieces entered, but mostly blank):

Name
Season 001 (Winter 1220)

Characteristics: Int +3, Per +2, Pre +2, Com +3, Str -3, Sta +1, Dex -2, Qik -2
Free Virtues:
Major Virtues:
Minor Virtues:
Free Flaws:
Major Flaws:
Minor Flaws:

Decrepitude: 0 (0 Decrepitude Points)
Warping Score: 0 (0 Warping Points)
Warping Scars: None.
Personality Traits: Protective (OoH) +3, Manipulative +2, Meddler +1
Confidence: 1 (3 Confidence Points)

Encumbrance: 0
Equipment: Wizardly robes.

Abilities: Latin 5 (eloquence), ...
Wizard's Sigil:
Arts: Cr 0, In 5, Mu 5, Pe 5, Re 5, An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 5, He 0, Ig 0, Im 5, Me 5, Te 0, Vi 5
Spells Known:
Aura of Ennobled Presence (MuIm 10) +11

Size: 0
Soak: +1
Magic Resistance: An 5, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 10, He 5, Ig 5, Im 5, Me 15, Te 5, Vi 5
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +3, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +4, Defense +3, Damage +0
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +5, Defense +3, Damage +3
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :slight_smile:

I appreciate the links to resources and sample character sheets. If ever I'm hopelessly confused I will definitely ask questions.

I will probably try generating a character or two over the next while to see how the process works.

Looking forward to much enjoyment :slight_smile: