Ars Magica: An As Yet Unnamed Campaign for 2-5 players.

As to be announced in the next IMPROVISED RADIO THEATRE WITH DICE I’m planning to start a Play By Post ARS MAGICA campaign.

I’ve run ARS MAGICA online before, a brief campaign set in Stonehenge at a revived covenant undergoing a ‘second spring’. Hardest thing I found was mastering the game system in the face of some players who were much more experienced than me. Hopefully the play-by-post format will help make that easier.

It should also allow me to run differing threads for the ‘current’ adventure, for lab work, for political discussions, for negotiations.

I am agnostic as to the focus (or focuses) of the game: I want to give the setting and the system a good workout so I’ll try to tailor things to the players’ various hopes and expectations.

The covenant will be an established Summer/Autumn which is need of recruiting new members: this is the pattern used for TRIAMORE and indeed that’s one of the locations I’m looking at running in, though some things in the Rhine Tribunal as currently published (the gilds for instance) are a bit much for me.

Stonehenge, using the outline in HEIRS OF MERLIN is another firm possibility.

I think that a maximum of five newly recruited PC mages is about as much as any covenant can reasonably stand. If I get more recruits than that I’ll consider running a second parallel game.

I’d like to be able to post daily to keep the momentum going: I know not everyone can do that even in the days of lockdown.

To give you the answers to the questions Michelle recommends I give you the following incomplete description.

Campaign Title: I Don't Know This Yet..
System: ARS MAGIC
Number of Players: I have 2. Five would be the maximum..
Deadline: I plan to start setting things up as soon as I have maxed out the number of players or August 20th at the latest. .
Starting Level: Newly gauntleted magi..
Advancement Rules: By the rules of ARS MAGICA.
Combat Rules: By the rules of ARS MAGICA.
Dice-Rolling Rules: I'm planning on using a dice rolling app that will leave a record of results..
Special Rules: COVENANTS will be used to describe and run the magi's covenant: I may use a house rule on the library however.
Posting Rate: Often enough to keep things flowing.
Absences:I'll let the story flow past those who cannot take an active part.
Writing Expectations:I can't expect anything. I can only hope.
Text Formatting: The color, size, bolding, italics, and underlining you'll use to distinguish different types of info in posts.TO BE ARRANGED.
Plot- or Character-Driven: The characters (and their players) will tell me what the stories are to be about.
Focus: See above.
Character Types: Any characters that fit with the others.
Campaign Description: Not yet available.

Please respond by completing the attached questionnaire and we will see where it goes. You can contact me via: michael.cule@gmail.com. Please put ARS MAGICA PbP in the subject line.

Name:

Previous Ars Magica experience:

How interested (points out of ten) are you in the following potential aspects of the game:

Becoming a more powerful magus:

Building powerful magical devices:

Hermetic Politics:

Mundane Politics and relations:

Games involving the Church (and therefore potentially the Infernal):

Investigative Games (Hermetic and Mundane Crime):

Games involving the Fae:

Games involving other worlds:

Games exploring remote parts of Mythic Europe:

Romance and True Love:

Comedy:

Tragedy:

1 Like

I now have five players and even one in reserve so I'm going to say this recruitment thread is closed for now. Thank you those who showed such prompt interest and my apologies to those who didn't quite make it.

1 Like