Ars Magica GRIMOIRE

I am new to the game, and would like some help. I want to devise a spell that would allow the caster to understand and be understood by the target, despite language barriers.
I'd assume such a spell would be Intellego Mentem, but I have no clue on how to 'build' it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greyskull, the spell you're describing has two effects (transmit and receive) and so might work better if designed as an item. Some SGs may even require you to develop two spells. Nevertheless, I will endeavor to illustrate how such a spell might de designed and integrated into a single spell.

Send Thoughts
Creo Mentem 10
Range: Eye-Contact. Duration: Diameter. Target: Individual.
Similar to "Words of the Unbroken Silence" except that, as per A&A we are using the guideline to create not words, but instead basic thoughts into the target's Imaginative faculty.
(Base 4, +1 Eye-Contact, +1 Diameter)

Receive Thoughs
Intellego Mentem 15
Range: Eye-Contact. Duration: Diameter. Targe: Individual.
As per "Thoughts within Babble", but at modified to have the same Range, Duration & Target as "Send Thoughts".
(Base 5, +1 Eye-Contact, +1 Diameter)

Two-in-One Spell: As I've already modified the spells to have the same RDT parameters, my next step is to select the spell with the greater magnitude (Receive Thoughs) and modify it so as to incorporate the lower-level effect.

Freeing the Tongue from Babel's Chain
Intellego (Creo) Mentem 20
Range: Eye-Contact. Duration: Diameter. Target: Individual.
This spell allows the caster to speak intelligibly to, and understand the target in spite of any language barrier or magically induced muteness that might be in effect.
(Base 5, +1 Eye-Contact, +1 Diameter, +1 Creo Requisite).

The final (optional) stage involves comparing the new spell to an existing effect. In this case I chose an Meditation/Intervention guideline from RoP: TD that gives a similar benefit and used it to create a comparable effect that was of approximately the same modified level thus suggesting that my spell isn't terribly over or underpowered.

2 Likes

I have another question, if I may. My maga wants to researcha spell that will allow him to read books in different languages, without studying those languages, which is a chore.
Browsing through the books I was thinking that it would be an Intellego spell, but couldn't see anything in the spell guidelines that will come close to approximating it. I then looked at Muto, but nothing there either. So am not sure which Form and Technique to use to build this spell.

The things written are or Imaginem or Aquam/Terram of the Ink and Animal or Herbam for the book. You need ever know read to take advantege of a text. You could use a InMe spell to read the thinking of a person that can read the text, like very much it is what you want.

Questions in seperate threads please, finished spells only here.
thank you.

These probably should've been posted here in the first place so I thought I should at least provide a link for those forum-goers who're interested in non-hermetic magics...
https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/non-hermetic-grimoire/4290/1

[size=120]Teamwork of the Untested Rabble[/size]
MuMe, Level 30
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Group

Allows a group of up to six to act as if a Trained group in combat without the need for time spent training together, providing that all other requirements are met normally (i.e.: the leader must have a high enough leadership to lead the group, otherwise they will still act as if untrained as per the normal rules for group combat).
When casting the spell the caster must briefly touch the intended group leader, and the spell will provide no benefit upon him leaving the group (through death, injury, or whatever), though it will technically still be in effect.
Base 5 (Incline a person to a particular sort of response) + 1 (Touch) + 2 (Sun) + 2 (Group)

Abusive? The guideline seems right, but I'm not certain that there shouldn't be an additional magnitude or two because of the scope of the mental effects (it would need to cover more than a single response to a single stimulus, as there is more to working as a group than just following the leaders instructions),

Incidentally, for group targets do you need to penetrate everyone in the groups magic resistance?

Spell revised to Touch range

1 Like

Personal and groups are impossible.
Group must be at least at touch range.

1 Like

Well,

If that's the only criticism, I can live with that change,

Yup, the spell feels good otherwise :slight_smile:

Some spells I am dabbling with for an Imaginem focused wizard.

The Archer's Good Fortune
Re(Cr)Im 10
R: Personal, D: Concentration, T: Ind
The magus appears to fall to the ground, pierced by an arrow to the heart. The arrow can be heard hissing through the air and striking the target, and the magus appears to gasp and die, bleeding from an arrow to the heart, eye or similar. The magus is invisible and scentless for the duration of this spell, as long as he stays within 5 paces of the "corpse". This illusion of the magus' appears real to sight and smell, but touching it reveals it to be an illusion.
[Base: 3, +1 duration, +1 extra sense, +1 Creo Requisite]

This one I am trying to put together here at work, but I feel like it's off. I need to sit down with the core book and review it.

Phantasm of The Haunted Castle
Mu(Re)Im 40
R:Touch, D: Sun, T: Structure
Casting Requisite: Creo, Herbam, Terram
Causes a structure to appear to be haunted. Air seems colder, and all sights and sounds (including those of people within it) are twisted to seem more sinister or jarring, smells are noxious or foreboding. Those failing a Brave stress roll vs. an Ease of 6 will feel ill at ease and take any excuse to leave the foreboding place; botches indicate fleeing in terror. The spell makes doors and windows randomly appear a few feet from where they really are, or moves the images of items at unfortunate moments to cause confusion and dismay - a key may seem to be on a shelf, and then appear on the floor when reached for. This causes applicable botches within the structure to gain an two die.

With a Creo requisite, the already foreboding structure becomes rife with spectral phantasms, ghostly whispers and sinister laughter, making the Brave stress roll an Ease of 9.

Cast with a Herbam or Terram Requisite causes the structure to become randomly animate in a hostile fashion - doors slam, curtains blow in unseen winds and may attempt to tangle anyone within, ropes lash about, and so on. The Brave stress roll Ease increases by 3 due to this effect, and moving through the building becomes an arduous affair. This adds two dice to botches within the structure (for a total of 3)

This spell can be invented so that it does not harass those bearing a specific token.

[Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +3 Structure, +1 Rego]

Another one:
The House is On Fire!
Mu(Cr)CrIm 25
R: Voice, D: Concentration, T: Structure
The house or other building targeted by this spell appears to start burning, and within moments seems to be ablaze. The image, sound, and heat of fire is created, as well as the sight and smell of smoke. Though the illusionary flames cannot burn, and the illusionary smoke cannot choke, it can cause panic in those not expecting it, and obscures the interior of the structure so that targeting and vision can be hard to accomplish (Awareness rolls receive a penalty, and normally clear sightlines can be obscured, aiding a stealthy entrance or escape. Note that the illusion responds to mundane attempts to put out the fire with water and so on - though it does not respond to Perdo Ignem and other magical means to douse a fire.

Victus of Merinita often used this spell to appear to be a mighty Ignem magus, up until he ran into Laurence Milites of Flambeau.
[Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Conc., +3 Structure]

Please let me know what you think...

Last things first:

Please post spells first in another thread for discusson - this is manly for finshed spells.
Also, could we have a clean-up crew in here, please!

Feels like a way of becomming invisible without mucking about with Perdo?

Very nice! Should drive anyone out right quick!
Maybe with a size modifier though?

Not at all. it's the same way to become invisible as the image of the wizard thorn.
You are perfectly visible. It's your Image who is not linked to you.

But, I would use a Muto requisite and not a creo one, because IMO, the "changing image" thing (falling) is muto imaginem and not rego imaginem. Rego would be only the split up of the image and your true place.
Creo is useless when you use Muto requisite for the falling part.

Sorry by the Spanish:

You should use some online translator.

personnal is possible if you are the leader (like for exemple my flambeau of school ramius who could lead, with that spell the group of 5 grogs at competition)

but touch is better as you can also cast it on another leader.

Lady Merlina, this statements stricly opposes what is said page 111 of the core book, in the personal parameter : "the target is thus never larger than individual".

Walk on Water
ReAq 20

Upon casting the next time within the duration the caster touchers a pool of water the water within a 5 pace circle begins to flow upwards providing enough support to stand, walk and run on. For the duration of the spell as the caster steps the circle of water moves to centre itself on the casters feet. The spell ends if the caster places both feet on solid ground. In Andrius of Tremere's version of the spell the top of the water begins to freeze over slightly consistent with his sigil of cold and ice.

Base 4 Touch (+1), Diam (+1), Part (+1), slightly unnatural movement (+1)

Can you guys see any way I could shave this down to a lower level version (while remaining in ReAq or MuAq and in flavour)?

I'm not sure you need the "part" in there. Look at Push of the Gentle Wave. The target is individual, and the basic idea is pretty similar (calm but forceful motion, oriented on an object for the duration, which in this case is a boat). The only reason that spell seems to need voice range is that you can't always reach the water behind a boat from a boat. If you were willing to stick to rowboats or willing to dangle from a rope or something you could probably make a touch version of the spell.

Push of the Gentle Wave seems to use an "individual" quantity of water that is more like the Auram definition of "individual", ie a volume of water near the casting point, rather than a whole lake or ocean.

"Individual: a stretch of water with the same composition and curent. A small pond, part of a stream, or a spring.". We would use the first definition, not the second.

What Push of the Gentle Wave does is define "the water around the boat" to have that composition and current. The fact that the current is set by the rego spell or the fact that the water could be a pond or an ocean is irrelevant, the spell itself has now set up a defined aquam individual as a result of casting the spell.

Unlike push of the gentle wave, upwellings forceful enough to support something as heavy as a human aren't real common in nature, so the unnatural+1 probably has to stay.

Lets see where that puts us

Base effect5 (forceful but gentle=4, +1 touch, +0 individual)

reaq10 Gift of the Crocodile's Legs (diameter) - you can run at full speed over any mud that is not so deep that it would completely prevent normal (non-swimming) movement without the spell (a crocodile can charge over mud just as fast as it can over dry land, if not faster. The rego just holds the mud together long enough to support you without sinking where your feet are)

reaq10 Gift of the Floating Wood (diameter) - this spell will allow you to float on the surface of the water, preventing sinking, but you are still at the mercy of waves and current, and must swim (rather than stand/run) to move in any way other than bobbing like a cork.

reaq10 Push of the Friendly Wave (concentrate) - touch version of Push of the Gentle Wave, this could allow you to swim faster or could complement gift of the floating wood to let you mitigate current. It wouldn't help a bad swimmer stay afloat, but you're probably fine with a minimal swim check (maybe encumbrance+swim+strength>0) just to keep your head above water and let the wave carry you.

reaq10 Skip the Stone (unnatural+1, momentary) - you can run for one round over water. If you stop moving, you will sink. Fastcasting is required to stay above the water for longer distances. This spell doesn't help if you are already immersed in water.

reaq15 Water Walk ( unnatural+1,diameter) - for the duration of the spell you can stand/walk/sit/lie on water with no ill effects. If cast while immersed in water, you are pushed out of the water.

reaq15 Neptune's Gift (complex effect+1, concentration) - You don't sink no matter how bad you are at swimming, and a friendly wave/current takes you in a direction you want to go. The direction is set at time of spellcasting, a single large wave carries you until it breaks on a shore or you stop concentrating.

Oblivion

ReIm 30
R: Eye, D: Sun, T: Individual
By staring in the eyes of your victim, you can take him into the void. After but a moment, the target of the spell will find himself lost with only light to comfort him, providing that a source of light is available in the reality, or in complete darkness if none are.

Note that all present, save the target of the spell, actually see, hear, smell, etc all that is happening. Target of the spell will still feel pain if he is hit but is oblivious to the source of the pain.

Augustus of Criamon used this spell to contemplate oblivion as part of his research on the enigma.
(Base: 15 (ward vs species), R: Eye+1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual)
Contributor: William

Two Spells that i created today: