Ars Magica GRIMOIRE

My artistically inclined Verditius is planning following spells as he has noted that mundane art produced by magic is not really as impressive as normal art. He has talked about his dreams to other magi , but they aren't as excited and haven't perhaps even noticed the difference. He hopes that making real magical art might change their perception.

MuIg(Te) 15 (Base 4, Touch +1, Circle, Ring +2) Sculptable flames of Lucatorus
Transforms flames inside circle so that they can be manipulated as easily as soft stone having several qualities associated with stone. Fire inside is still hot and bright as it was previously, but it is inert and hard.

MuIg(Aq) 34 (Base 4, Touch +1, Group +2, Sun +2, Two uses +1 level, Enviromental trigger +3 level) Book afire with flames like ink
Turns flames touching the book into something akin ink. Flames are still bright and hot, but they do not burn. Flames still have their original color so given flames transformed for example with alchemical knowledge one could produce exquisite book with colorful pictures. This would be rather expensive operation.

MuHe 15 (Base 4, Touch +1, Ring +2, Circle) Awakening the slumbering tree
Tree in the circle has awakened with traditional personality traits associated with aforementioned tree in question - it can slowly shift itself.

Given sufficiently vain tree it could be perhaps persuaded with eloquent speeches to change into more beautiful form given season or two of effort. This is yet to be tested

CrHe 4 (Base 1, Touch +1, Ring +2, Circle) Preserving health of tree
In case previous spell actually works then it is really good idea that tree doesn't fall sick.

CrHe (Base 1, Touch +1, Ring +2, Circle) Growth of tree
Trees do not naturally grow very fast so ensuring healthy growth of tree is very good idea. Besides it probably makes tree happier and more malleable.

1 Like

I'm pretty sure +6 to childbirth rolls has a base of 5. (A&A p.60)

Chris

Curse of Febo MuIg Level 20
R: Voice T: Group D: Momentary
This spell transforms part of Daily light in a fatal blast, becoming a group of sun's light beams so hots that cause +10 damages.
Base: 2 transform a natural propiety of fire (light in this case) completely, +2 magnitudes for +10 to the damages, + 2 Group, + 2 Voice.
Others more fatals versions exits, including this.
Faeton's Fall Mu(Re)Ig Level 75 Ritual
R:Sight T:Boundary D:Sun
This Spells summon a great dissaster; emulating the mythic fall of the chariot of Helios in a Country. By the duration a great and strange brightly sphere or figure (depending of the Sigil of the caster or casters), damaging all the boundary limit designated, go along the sun's way in the sky. The effects are dramatics.
Base: 2 transform completely a natural propiety of the fire (light in this case), +4 magitudes by +20 of damage, +4 for Boundary, and +3 for Sight, +2 by Rego requisite for protect the caster or casters.

Dragon's Breath CrIg 50
R: Voice D:Conc. T: Group
Flames errupt from the caster's outstreached palms in a 120 degree arch, causing +30 fire damage to all within, for each turn the caster concentrates.
(Base 25, +2 Voice, +1 Conc., +2 Group)

Dispach the Unwanted Niusance ReCo 25
R: Touch D: Mom. T: Ind.
Anyone the caster touches is instantly transported up to 500 paces away. (One of my players threw someone upwards... unpleasent)
(Base 20, +5 Touch)

Being a Lvl 50 effect Dragon's Breath must be a ritual spell....

Taking the Heart Re(In)Co 30
R: Voice D: Mom T: Part
This spell instantly transports the target's heart 5 paces beyond its body. Most creatures cannot survive without a heart and quickly die.

Marbaid of Flambeau's wizard's sigil is connected to his obsession with blood. In his version of the spell, he ends up holding the victim's bloody heart is his outstretched hand.
(B10, +2 Voice, +1 Part, +1 In requisite)

I'm curious - the above effect seems to do something usually associated with Perdo Corpus but at at least 2 to 3 magnitudes less. Is this a concern? The Clenching Grasp of the Clutched Heart is an instant-kill Corpus spell, but it's level 40. I'm concerned that this devalues Perdo, or rather, adds another level of value to Rego that should not be there.

1 Like

Spell:

"Light don't, Like me."
Cr(Re)Ig 40
Base 5 (highest of the 2 usable bases: 5 for Creo (light day) and 4 for Rego (unnatural change of light))
+1 Touch
+2 Sun
+2 Group
+1 Rego Requisite
+1 Mobility

Description: This spell create a lightsource in the area (if it don't exist) and everybody can see everything within this area, except the caster of this spell: he is not affected by light, so the other ones can't, if the spell penetrates, see him. When he moves, the spell moves with him.

"Year of the Black Sun"
PeIg 70
Base 3 (destroy light)
+1 touch
+4 year
+4 boundary
+6 size
As Wizard's eclipse but with an area - 10km radius and for an entire year and no light at all (wizard's eclipse is on base 2, here base 3).

What do you think?

1 Like

The second one is a nice variety of the CrIm spells that uses huge red letters in the sky saying: "March me, if you dare!"

Yup. Really useful in those area where the Order doesn't exist : Africa, Asia or Scandinavia... :smiley:

1 Like

Preservation of the Loyal Clan 40
Creo Corpus
R: Touch D: Until T: Bloodline, Ritual Faerie Magic
Base: 3 +4 Until, +4 Bloodline, +1 touch
This spell, designed to be cast on a family of Grogs loyal to a covenant, prevents any wounds the targets suffer from worsening. The caster may determine at the time of casting what actions or conditions end the spell, via the “Until” duration. Also this spell may be designed with a specific bloodline in mind so it will not warp it’s targets.

Vigor of the Loyal Clan 40
Creo Corpus
Base: 3 +4 Until, +4 Bloodline, +1 touch
This spell, designed to be cast on a family of Grogs loyal to a covenant, gives the targets +6 bonus to recovery rolls. The caster may determine at the time of casting what actions or conditions end the spell, via the “Until” duration. Also this spell may be designed with a specific bloodline in mind so it will not warp it’s targets.

Resilience of the Loyal Clan 60
Muto Corpus
Base: 15 +4 Until, +4 Bloodline, +1 touch
This spell, designed to be cast on a family of Grogs loyal to a covenant, gives the targets +3 bonus to soak. The caster may determine at the time of casting what actions or conditions end the spell, via the “Until” duration. Also this spell may be designed with a specific bloodline in mind so it will not warp it’s targets

Stature of the Loyal Clan 40
Muto Corpus
Base: 3 +4 Until, +4 Bloodline , +1 touch
This spell, designed to be cast on a family of Grogs loyal to a covenant, increases the targets by one size level to a maximum of +1. The caster may determine at the time of casting what actions or conditions end the spell, via the “Until” duration. Also this spell may be designed with a specific bloodline in mind so it will not warp it’s targets.

Just started playing around with the idea of Faerie Magic and what it might be good for. Until is a nice way to get almost permanent effects and a Bloodline covers a lot of targets. I figure if a covenant works on getting a large group of related grogs they can buff them fairly easily with spells like these.

1 Like

Even more Faerie Magic.

Fae Infusion 10
Creo Vim
R: Touch D: Momentary T: Individual Faerie Magic
Base: 5 +1 touch,
This could be the spell that many Merinita are initiated with. Because it a Faerie Magic effect the warping is aligned to the fae realm instead of Magic.

Sanguine Infusion 30
Creo Vim
R: Touch D: Momentary T: Bloodline Faerie Magic
Base: 5 +1 touch, +4 bloodline
Like fae infusion but fun for the whole family.

Rubble Lines the Path 45
Perdo Terram
R: Road D: Momentary T: Group Faerie Magic
Base: 5 +2 road, +2 group +4 size
This spell can destroy up to 100 average sized stone structures (or fewer larger ones) along a single road. The mage need not be able to see them but must know they are there.

Travel for the Lazy Wizard 40
Intellego Imaginem
R: Road D: Concentration T: Structure Faerie Magic
Base: 5 +2 road, +1 concentration,+4 structure
A magi casting this spell can make a trip without moving a muscle. The magi can use any of his five senses at any know point along the road he may even leave the road and enter a building that opens onto the road. Barred doors and locks do not prevent his senses from entering the structure. Since any point he can see with his displaced senses is by definition known to the caster, the caster can “travel” down the road quite quickly.

Filching the mile marker 5
Rego Terram
R: Road D: Mom T: Inv Faerie Magic
Base: 3 +2 road,
A magi casting this spell can teleport any small object that he knows to be on a road into his hand. The object must be small enough to fit into his closed fist. Many magi use this spell to transport small rocks from the road to act as arcane connections for other spells such as Leap of Homecoming.

Only real problem with boosting your grogs like this I guess, is warping.

1 Like

That's one of the beauties of bloodline spells the can be designed with for a specific bloodline so the don’t cause warping.

Oops, self correction yes they do accumulate the one warping for ongoing magical effect. I’d forgotten that wasn’t effected by the “specifically designed for target” exemption that can stop a singular powerfull effect from warping. It’d be pretty vis intensive but you could do a spell like this instead.

Potence of the Loyal Clan 80
Creo Corpus
R: Touch D: Inst T: Bloodline, Ritual Faerie Magic
Base: 55, +1 touch, +4 Structure
This spell, designed to be cast on a family of Grogs loyal to a covenant, raises all the effected targets strength by one point to a maximum of +5. Also this spell may be designed with a specific bloodline in mind so it will not warp it’s targets.

A mage satisfied with a lower level effect could start with a lower base effect. Also if the mage made the spell for his own family he could leave the effect at range personal. Although I honestly think Merinita might just prefer the warping caused by the spells with ongoing effects.

And group target means it can't target everyone at voice range before the caster. Group is way more limited than that. You may increase size, of course.

Another option could be to create a big fire (with a lot of size modifiers) at touch range, with a Rego requisite ensuring it goes of before you.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember this kind of thing is stated to require a Perdo requisite (And not Intellego although I get the idea)

1 Like

Also, can you target the heart if you cannot perceive it specifically? (I'm guessing that this is the source of the Intelligo requisite, but I seem to recall that you can't use magical senses for this?),

I know that it can be included in an effect as part of the target if you where targeting the whole person, but to target it alone you would need to be able to see/hear/touch/etc it wouldn't you? (So I guess you could use this ability if you where using a stethescope or the medievil equivalent...)

Rego spells "allow the mage to change the state of a thing to some other state that the individual thing can naturally have." I would argue that having ones heart outside the body is not a state that an individual naturally has.

Ars Magica magical effects flow from connections to the platonic forms, and most rego effects don't involve drastic changes from one platonic form to another. Moving from person from one location to another location doesn't change what form they are connected to. There are Rego spells that do, those that turn rock into statues or thread into cloth. They all have punitive Finesse rolls associated with them, and I would say that if allowed, this spell should have a similar Finesse roll involved.

1 Like

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you (or misunderstanding the rules), but is that relevant? The Target is Part, not Individual.

Could the problem be obviated if the Range was Touch - taking the person who is touched to be a sympathetic connection to their heart?

I can't remember the wording for sympathetic connections, but don't they have to be something that you posses and could take away from the target (otherwise all touch spells would have excellent penetration due to the sympathetic connection (most folks clothes could be treated as a sympathetic connection, worth at least a +1 bonus to the penetration multiplier), eep!)

On the other hand, if you had a sample of the targets blood, then I could see that being a suitable arcane connection - the range would have to be arcane connection (so +2 extra magnitudes),