Ars Magica: What if we joined them? (3-6 Players)

I'm still not sure that's an entirely good idea. I'm not saying we should be ancient magi, but having a magus with a little time under his belt seems better if we're going to be playing high politics, which seems like a big draw to this saga. Having magi who are still wet behind the ears can tend to lead to the question of why we're the ones in the position we're in and not one of the many more competent magi in the Tribunal. I just don't want to either (a) get sidelined bu NPCs or (b) sacrifice all verisimilitude to not be sidelined.

if we want to play a strong covenant we actual need some summer magus but please accept that not all of us are up to the task to build such old mages.
I did also go for this angle blood virtue that I can do at last an 50-100 year old companion as I'm not sure if I manage to create more then a spring magus.

I agree with Trogdor. For this saga, the players should be more advanced, and we can have the exercise of creating senior magi. Go ahead and build a powerful lab!

This is a game that is going to have layers, and a lot of topics that people normally try to avoid in saga (such as religious issues, with the Roman and Greek Orthodox churches being in an oblique conflict with one another, plus a requirement for magical patrons which may be pagan deities, and a Muslim crusade going on next door...) and possibly at may levels- while older magi are certainly more powerful the fact is that they also are harder to create and do not advance nearly as quickly (per game year) as those who are made young and adventured through. I would suggest that everyone be able to make a magus at a level they are comfortable with, and companions and grogs can accompany when an adventure is dialed in to a differing level.

I like the Thessalonica angle... which would place us in the forefront of conflict regarding integration and overtly supporting the insurgent Greeks regardless of our individual power levels due to covenant history...

As we are now should make character past 35 could someone post the link to a good dicebot we can use?

Edit: Is there a way to learn new Supernatural ability similar to "Learning Supernatural Abilities" ArM5 166 during character generation?

Die roller:http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/

If you can fit it into your initial Virtues and Flaws, yes. Others can be gained via mystery initiation. The only one I know of that's fully integrated into Hermetic Theory is Automata (HoH:MC p. 128), which simply requires that someone teach it to you. Automata is covered through the Craft: Automata skill, you need to find a teacher who can give you a source quality of 5, after penalties for non-Hermetic supernatural abilities. Let me add that Automata is a terrible Major Virtue. In general, the answer is no.

Which one are you trying to get?

I was thinking about learning the basics of "Sense Holiness and Unholiness" and Second Sight via Exp. (would be 5 / 6 exp. in one season to do so) instead of Virtue so I can take good teacher and unaffected by the gift instead for my Companion.
(The companion is first at moment because I still lack a plan for what I want to play as my magus ^^)

Adauli, familiars can have magic powers, and their magic power can be a Virtue. See RoP: Magic, p. 38-39

I know one can be initiated to have the Heartbeast without the Gift but so far I didn't hear that someone without Gift could have a familiar.
So please tell me the trick for a divine aligned Companion, who have no magic, to have a familiar especial during character generation!
Isn't it even for a magus already a stretch to get one during the character creation with the default rules as the finding of the familiar should be a story?

Edit:
Beside how do we want to go about familiar and apprentice during character generation?
Also how do we want to go with Longevity Ritual made by the paren or some other magus for the player char?
Isn't how to gain Vis also a issue for the more lasting things like Talisman or the Longevity Ritual that we have to sort out before starting with our chars?

How would everyone else feel about me playing a mythic companion redcap?

Although I would have preferred if you would play older magus because I suspect you are one of the few in our group who actual could create such a magus, I don't mind if you play a mythic Redcap instead.
Just keep in mind that a Redcap is usually 2 seasons away from his/her home covenant.

I'm thinking of putting in some time on my characters this weekend. Is it alright if I post here, or is there a better way to share them with everyone for review?

Sure, post them here. Once we get a character concept from everybody, we can go to the board admins, and create a new Play-By-Post catagory.

My Companion so far (he missing ~10 years for now):
I'm unsure if Languages is a suitable specialization for Teaching.
Because our start time isn't fixed now the time of the skills is more or less a mess so don't pay to much attention to it.
Teaching score of 20 for the expensive 1 to 1 teaching :slight_smile:

[code]Virtue:

1 Minor Social Baccalaureus 3 years a 30 exp (Academic Abilities) University of Bologna
3 Major Supernatural Blood of the Nephilim (RoP:D 35) +1 Size, can learn Dominion Lore
3 Major General Wealthy
1 Minor Supernatural Sense Holiness and Unholiness (Divine)
1 Minor Supernatural Second Sight (Divine)
1 Minor General Warrior 50 exp (Martial Abilities)

Flaw:

2 Major Personality Flaw Greedy
1 Minor Personality Higher Purpose eradicate the real evil (unholiness)
3 Major Story Favors different Trader and Craftsmen
1 Minor Supernatural Offensive to Infernal
1 Minor Supernatural Visions
1 Minor General Poor Disputer -3 to disputation rolls
1 Minor General Missing Ear -3 to hearing rolls

-0 INT 0
-1 PER -1
-1 STR -1 +2
+1 STA 1
+1 PRE 1
+3 COM 2
+1 DEX 1
+3 QIK 2 -1

Size +1 each wound level damage range is increased by 1

Ability:

------ till 5 = 45 -----
00 Sense Holiness and Unholiness (evil) 1
00 Second Sight (illusory disguises) 1
00 Italian (Venetian) 5
15 Awareness (searching) 2
15 Brawl (dodging) 2
05 Charm (first impressions) 1
05 Folk Ken (townsfolk) 1
05 Guile (disguise) 1
------ 6-15 = 10*20 = 200 ------
10 Sense Holiness and Unholiness 2
10 Second Sight 2
15 Dominion Lore (Divine Creatures) 2
50 Bargain (Food) 4
50 Profession Trader (sea traderoutes) 4
45 Folk Ken (townsfolk) 4
10 Charm (First impressions) 2
10 Guile (disguise) 2
------- 16-18 = 3x30 = 90 Baccalaureus ------
75 Latin (academic usage) 5
15 Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 2
------- 19-30 = 12x20 + 50 = 290 Combat training ------
75 Single Weapon (Mace/War Hammer) 5
60 Brawl (Dodging) 5
30 Civil and Canon Law 3
30 Etiquette (The Church) 3
05 Philosophiae (natural philosophy) 1
15 Sense Holiness and Unholiness (evil) 3
15 Second Sight (illusory disguises) 3
30 Teaching (Languages) 3
15 Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 3
15 Charm (First impressions) 3
------- 31-40 = 10x20 = 200 ------
75 Classical Greek (Homeric) 5
45 Teaching (Languages) 5
20 Sense Holiness and Unholiness (evil) 4
20 Second Sight (illusory disguises) 4
20 Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 4
20 Etiquette (The Church) 4
------- 41-50 = 10x20 = 200 ------
25 Sense Holiness and Unholiness (evil) 5
25 Second Sight (illusory disguises) 5
25 Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 5
25 Etiquette (The Church) 5
05 Profession Scribe 1
15 Ride (speed) 2
30 Leadership (in combat) 3
25 Bargain (Food) 5
25 Profession Trader (sea traderoutes) 5
------- 51-60 = 10x20 = 200 ------
75 Arabic (Academic usage) 5
25 Profession Scribe 3
30 Teaching (Languages) 6
30 Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 6
20 Civil and Canon Law 4
05 Theology catholic (New Testament) 1
15 Awareness (searching) 3
------- 61-70 = 10x20 = 200 ------
75 Romaic Greek (contracts) 5
35 Teaching (Languages) 7
50 Bows (light crossbow) 4
25 Theology catholic (New Testament) 3
15 Ride (speed) 3
------- 81-90 = 10x20 = 200 ------
85 Teaching (Languages) 9
45 Philosophiae (natural philosophy) 4
45 Leadership (in Combat) 5
25 Bows (light crossbow) 5
[/code]

Story: He grow up in Venice as son of a sea trader. His mother died when giving the birth to his only full blood related sister 2-3 years after his birth and so he never know her. As the 2nd son of his father, who had 5 wives in his live, he wouldn't inherit the business. Already early in his live he joined his father on his travel. When he was 16 years old he was send to the University of Bologna but because of his problems with the disputes there he only managed the Baccalaureus. Afterwards he stayed for some years as lay neophyte in a monastery. Once he returned to Venice he had to learn how to fight as his father want to send him in his stead on some trade missions. When his older brother took over the lead he was paid out and now mostly earned his money from teaching or writing books. His main interest during this time was the written teaching of the classic Greek and later the newer Arabic literature. To keep his live style and to get access to some books he also did some sea trips for his older brother. After his wife deceased there was nothing left that made him stay in Venice and so when recruiter for the 3. crusade knocked at his door he joined them. This decision ended up to be the worst he did so far in his live as not only the group had big problems to get enough provisions for everyone many of the group not even had a weapon in their hand not to talk about fighting experience. So he ended up as one of the leader and instructor of this team but despite that the group was nearly wiped out during one of the fights. He could consider him self lucky to only have lost his left ear but otherwise got out unharmed out of this. More shocking to him was that within the enemy warriors was clearly a holy person fighting for them. After he recovered he decided to settle down in Thessalonica. To establish his new live and to borrow the power of other to eliminate a devil in the form of a catholic priest he had to take many favor that he have to pay back at some point. His drive now changed to eliminate the real evil in this world thanks to the experience of the past years.

Adauli,

I think you have a bit more work to do. Nephilim have a number of required virtues and statistics, from page 66 of RoP:Divine. Given that this is a long standing covenant, there's no reason why you couldn't be 100 years old, and have a size of +2.

Edit: There's no problem with adding them - if you are playing a Nephilim as your primary character, it's ok to be a Mythic Companion in my book.

Huh what virtue or flaw did I forget to take that is required for a Blood of Nephilim? At last in the PDF I own it only say that I have to take the minor Greedy flaw and forbid that I take a big number of virtue and flaw.

As mentioned I still will add 10 more years to get the Size +2 but end there to have a few decade left before aging become a issue.

Nephilim are Mythic Companions, and they get two virtues for each flaw. On Page 66, it's noted that all Nephilim have:
Greater Immunity: Disease
Great Stamina
Great Strength
Improved Characteristics
Strong Angelic Heritage.
(You already had Sense Holiness and Unholiness)
By buying Great Strength and Stamina, you need to have a +4 in each, thus you need Improved Characteristics to get enough points for your physical capabilities. There are skills required as well, on page 66. I'd age your character to get to Size +2, so you won't be affected by most PeCo spells. My character will be close to a century in experience.

Have you read the Virtue it self?

clearly says this virtue also comes without taking the Mythic Companion package!
So unless we make a house rule that someone taking the Blood of the Nephilim have to take all the virtues and flaws of the Mythic Companion, despite that the virtue it self have its own clear rules what you have to take and not to take, its better for you to stop looking at the Mythic Companion package for what I need to take.

Also why would there a rule how to handle everything without Divine Might and in Strong Angelic Heritage it say you "may" take it if you are required to take Strong Angelic Heritage?

But if you say a virtue that is clearly ruled in the book that it can be taken on its own can only be taken with the Mythic Companion I'm out because then we are no longer go with our earlier voted that all books except RoP: I are fine for the character generation. (Also didn't we had a vote already that it would be fine to take Spiritual Pact on its own despite that this virtue usually require you to be a Spirit Votaries Mythic Companion)

My apologies. So you can have a basic Nephilim if you want, or a Mythic Companion, with 10 points of virtues picked out for you. You've chosen not to have a Mythic Companion. Your choice.

There some reason I don't want to play a Mythic Companion

1. silveroak already asked if he can play one and so when I also play one 2 of our 5 people would have no magus. If in this case anyone else ask for play a Mythic Companion we would have to refuse.
  2. Might is a game changer so I would first have to read what effect Divine Might have on the character creation and most likely have to start over.
  3. I want to play a magus even if I'm still not sure what kind of magus I want to play (maybe a Criamon "returner" on the path of walking backward whos paren - paren have left Criamon to become a Ex Misc.)