ArsMagica(5th) Through the Pillary Looking for 1-2 players

Campaign title: Through the Pillary
System: Ars Magica 5th Edition

of players 5-6 (I already have 4. Looking for 1 more to round out the troupe, as we lost a player to schedule.)

This is a Saga where at first, there's not even a Covenant. everything has to be brought in and setup by the players. A lot of exploration, and hunting for vis sources.. etc.
Deadline: We are currently playing most sundays. We Are almost done with the first winter! We have played about 20 sessions so far.
Starting Level: Fresh from the Gauntlet.
Location/time: Game will be on Sundays running from 4PM EST to roughly 9PM EST using Virtual Tabletop and voice. Skype and Roll20.

Game info:
Game Year: It's currently January 1230
Hooks/Boons have been predetermined based on the mysteries involved.

Update:
So the Magi did some crazy thing. They ended up changing the time stream in a way that they are now cut off from the order. They were able to open the portal up to Iceland. But that's given them some issues, because the location is crazy remote. They have reached out via letters to the Order hoping to hear back.

This is a Magic and Vis rich game, where covenfolk are a commodity. We're using a play on the "nations" concept where every Magi is mostly independent, and their covenfolk are 'theirs' . There are very few shared resources. Although, since they are in survival mode currently, they have been playing nice together. The politics of the Covenant are tense.. but there is an underlying "Don't be a jerk" to the other players to keep it from going crazy. I have several ways of hooking someone into being added to the campaign very easily, including with their own 'group' of grogs.

Current magi:
A Perdo Ignem Flambeau in charge of security.
A Magical Research Magus (with crazy lab totals)
An Aquam Merinita
A Jewish Holy Magus
And as a now mostly NPC: A Mammal specialized painter Verditius.

The Original setup:

A coterie of Magi has in their possession a set of Pillars covered in Viktir runes called the Circle of Sleipnir.The Ancient Elder Magi of the Covenant of the Lavender Fields, Magus Arnaut Fili Rollo, was involved in the Odin wars in his early years. He captured a Viktir and the set of pillars and has spent centuries learning all he could from him and bringing the Viktir runes into his magic theory. He is rarely seen, and is only around rumor has it, because of two extended disappearances in Twilight. The Pillars can be used to open up a portal between them, and another set of Pillars somewhere else. They have been able to establish such a portal, but noone so far as been able to figure out where it leads. What they have been able to tell is that where ever it leads, is a highly magical land.

The coterie of Magi from The Covenant of the Lavender Fields is part of the political faction consisting of House Mercere and Jerbiton members working to get the Order as a whole to fund this expedition. The goals of the expedition are three fold. Establish a Covenant and Order strong point, allowing house Mercere to create a Portal of Hermes Discover the location and viability of this new location. Facilitate in the expansion of Order influence into the area, and determine long term viability of expansion and the creation of additional covenants. They have been not wholly successful, as the expedition is being funded by several factions working together. The Grand Tribunal gave tacit approval for the expedition, giving it till the next Grand Tribunal before review, with a Quaesitor review to be held in 1245 to determine if funding will continue until said Grand Tribunal. Rumor has it that House Mercere will add the Covenant to it’s circuit of Portals of Hermes in 1261, after the Grand Tribunal. A yearly stipend has been setup for the establishment of the new Covenant. There is on going debate on whether the new Covenant should fall under the Novgorod tribunal (Where is it suspected the area is) and the Provencal Tribunal, where the originating portal is established. Some have argued that a brand new tribunal should be established, but these have received very little political acknowledgement so far. It has been decided that the political location of the covenant is as yet un important, and will be decided at the next Great Tribunal.

The current active leader of the Covenant of the Lavender Fields is Magus Aleix Fili Arnaut. He has been a driving force behind the establishment of this expedition. As proof os his support, he has volunteered his apprentice to act as a Door Keeper, and to teach the basic activation spell .

Rumor has it that many of the Magi at lavender Fields are able to use Viktir runes within their Hermetic.

Portal Mechanics: The Portal created by the Circle can be opened twice a month. One the 3 days of the Full Moon, it can be opened from The Home Covenant to the Circle that is in the Mountain. On the 3 days of the new moon, the circle can be opened in the other direction. Opening the circle requires 5 pawns of vis, and the gate stays open for the entirety of the 3 days. It can be crossed in either direction, but only the correct site can initiate the opening.

Location of the Site:

The circle opens up into a fairly large Cave complex near the top of a mountain. The air is thin, and people get tired easily the first few days they are there. Excessive activity can cause a kind of illness. A young man fell asleep on guard duty the first night there, and almost died. He talked about feeling like he was drowning.

The Magi who went through the first time reports a high base Aura. Minor exploration has found that said Aura stays the same, and occasionally spikes upwards all the way into the Valley bellow. In game terms, the Aura of the area is a 5, and occasionally spikes up to a 6 or 7.

Scouts have done basic exploration. It takes a while to climb down from the mountain, but there is a fairly passable way to traverse down to the valley bellow. The Valley has pine trees, and rich mountain grass. The scouts have seen several types of game. Mountain goats, deer. As well as bear, wolf, and large cat tracks. Bringing game back to the Cave is dangerous, but doable. It would be ideal if a magi could come through and create a safer passage.

There is currently just a basic base camp located within the cave system. It will be up to the Magi of the new Covenant to establish how they wish to expand and build.

Whether this is a PbP, tabletop or a virtual tabletop game is unclear. I'm assuming it is a virtual table top, because there's a set time and no location information provided.
Also is that every Sunday, or alternating Sundays?
Not necessarily applying, but I'm asking for anyone who might be interested in applying.

I just noticed that and updated the information.

It's Virtual table top, and it's going to be every sunday (hopefully) with obviously some Sundays off as need be.

I'd be interested in knowing more - I've been without a game for the past couple of months; what's your general group dynamic? (I ask because, with doing stuff on-line, it's kind of hard to do a pre-game interview to see if new folks like myself will fit into the playstyle.)

Also, what sort of playstyle do you find that you're looking for? For example - when I RP in-person, I usually default to light comedy, with occasional drops into angst. Which for most groups is fine, but the last group I was with had two people drop out precicely because they though the game was going to be a procedural cop drama, while the rest of us assumed it was more of a dramedy.

EDIT - also, what house rules or clarifications does your table use? (ie, "does aegis need to penetrate", "are requisites required for ReCo teleportation", "does character creation use simplified or expanded rules" "How obvious does the table treat the social penalty of the Gift", "can you have both lab activity and adventure in the same season?" "are there any Integrated techniques prior to the start of the game", "how expensive are books?" etc.)

We're still looking for another player. The campaign has really taken off, and there's lots going on. They've established a 1500 person settlement (of sorts) but it's still very cramped. We could really use another Magi to help round out the Council and the skill sets.

Sabs cajoled me into posting my own version of an advertisement. So here it goes 8).

I would have described the game as one of mystery, exploration and survival, utilizing sanitized (for sanity), C&G, Grogs & Covenants rules for running "Nations" for individual mages, along with a custom charter allowing for a degree of politics and shenanigans between the various magi of the covenant. In the current point of time, we are just starting to come to terms with the local region we find ourselves relatively trapped in, having determined that the boundaries between the physical realm and the magic realm is particularly thin and prone to being rent during spellcasting. The mechanical modeling seems to look like extra casting dice being rolled looking for 1s or 0s, both of which tend to cause aura spiking and unexpected phenomenon. The number of extra dice depends on the technique of the spell in question (leading to Pherenike's mantra of "Creo, Perdo, Muto, Rego.. Intelligo"). We have already successfully researched an experimentally stable spell which does not cause spiking, so there is hope! 8D. We're playing with the integration and research rules :wink:. We have also come to something of a full cycle on the Viktir runes and magics present in the region, which were originally assumed to be some sort of Viktir homeland, instead has turned out to be a Viktir colony, largely pursued by one particularly powerful and practiced Viktir. Who died at the hands of some local guardian created by an as yet unknown society with whom he appeared to have been feuding (we're just piecing this stuff together from a 300 year range :wink:. These new people we know next to nothing about, but we have evidence of some ritual of theirs tentatively estimated to have been over level 120, using sacrificial life magic to boost it (involving dozens of people). Good times.

Right now, the Jew and Verditius' staff are dealing with some sort of infernal problem in the farmlands, while I sit cozy and warm in my absconded Viktir Tower 8D. Storms rage, quietly in the background unbeknownst to my fellow magi, a great spirit war wages between our "patron" genus loci Red Hawk of the Black Hills and some other as yet unknown spiritual armies. Elsa, the representative of Covenant Archy (she's the flambeau) is camped with her german retinue of bloody minded bastards with the "Romans" in their fort--a relatively small company of occitan French Mercenaries trained in the old manner of the Roman Legions (sort of), ostensibly under the "command" of the Jew (insert jokes here). And Acacia, the water fae merinita continues her policy of isolation in her watery caves at the top of the mountain--now with less pillars. The winter storms have settled in with a vengeance cutting off the different nations from each other most of the time--even from those of us with flying chariots or stone slabs. Robert, the archy's autocrat and representative here, has suffered a rather severe trial of faith since being cut off from the Order, and has been found wanting 8)--He's basically kept quiet and let us run wild. Mercere-backed, I continue to wonder how it is he has allowed the pillars to come to "live" in the Viktir Tower which is now the residence of the covenant's preeminent researcher (me)... The Mercere did not want the secrets of those pillars researched and integrated into Hermetic Theory. Mmm... tasty... And the winter deepens.

Logistically, we are using a fair bit of tech. Mostly custom google sheets for characters and covenant/nation tracking. Roll20 for dice and the occasional grog commentary :slight_smile:. Skype for voice, which is the primary RP mode. And google hangouts for between game chatter, organization and discussion.

We could use a replacement player, though--the Verditius' player can't seem to make Sundays work for her :frowning:. And we are sad 8). Each player has a magus and its nation, as well as a companion in the nation of another magus. As mentioned we have a social contract between the players to not be jerks to each other (so competition is ok, but machiavellian cut throat-i-ness not so much :slight_smile:. RP, Mystery, Exploration, Survival and possibly a certain amount of Achiever 8). It's good times! Come join us.

I would like to express interest, but can only play every other Sunday. If the group has been successful playing three or more Sundays out of the week I cannot commit unless you don't mind someone who can only contribute half of the time.

Are you still looking for players for this?

Perhaps looking ona WotC forum for D&D might yield better results than looking on a forum devoted to Atlas Games products?