Ask Me About Northern Crown

Really, most excellent 'cause I'm getting ready to run a supernatural campaign with my group.

What's going to be the 'prefered' spot for NC discussion? Here, over at Adamant, or someplace else I'm missing entirely?

I check the Atlas, Adamant, and ENWorld messageboards on a daily basis. Post to any one of those three and you'll get a response from me promptly, and from the Northern Crown fan community as well.

Can I get a link to the En World one...I have this and adamant Bookmarked but not the En World yet...:slight_smile:

The ENWorld d20 System forum can be reached at:

enworld.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Though there are short entries on Lycanthropes and Vampires. I since I just inflicted one of my characters with Lycanthropy today was beginning to wonder if you as the author and creator of the world had any suggestions on how to deal with possible Vampiric/Lycanthropic society, whether there's a connection, or any good internet sources where I could pull ideas from?

The Gazetteer mentions L'Ordre du Sang, a worldwide society of vampires dedicated to infecting the world's royal families with vampirism. They are active in Nouveau Orleans but may be spreading to Carolingia.

For lycanthropes, do a search for "loup garou" to find legends of the French-Canadian werewolf. I could imagine a group of wererat gang members underneath the streets of Nieu Amsterdam!

I have Skull and Crossbones by Green Ronin too. I saw the author is the same for both. Anyone know how much of the ship rules are reprinted?

What about Stormwrack? There's some ships there too. But it seems that some of the cannons would rip though some of the ships in Stormwrack.

thanks

Mike

I've been a long-time fan of your work Doug, since your 2E version of Septentrionalis -- I still have the website archived on my computer. I guess that gives me a leg up on all the other poor saps waiting for Spectral Boston :smiling_imp: . I've been putting off getting Northern Crown due to lack of players and thinking that since I already had the 3E pdf's from the old days why bother because I was sure you couldn't make it any better. Man was I wrong! I've finally got a group of players and upon buying Northern Crown have immediately scrapped my planned Greyhawk Campaign to convert it to NC. Maybe it's just the 17th century history geek in me speaking, but NC is quite probably the best gaming product I've ever seen. Thanks!

Thanks for your support! "Best gaming product I've ever seen" is a mighty fine compliment.

I was going through the Gazeteer the other day and found a few things of interest in the Gazeteer chapter.

There is no entry for St-Ignace though it is marked on the West Algonkia map. And there are entries for La Foret des Loups and the Duchy of Brunswick, but they are not marked on any map.

Is there any chance of a St-Ignace entry being placed in the NC:Errata? Though the location of the Duchy of Brunswick is easy to ascertain (on the coast at the mouth of the Chiraw River), I was wondering where Le Foret des Loups is located? I imagine that it is in the north, somewhere in Canada, but where?

Just wondering. Thanks.

As Northern Crown came together, I decided to combine several locales on the earlier versions of the map, and remove several others.The design reason was to streamline the map and the gazetteer and remove some of the less interesting areas. I thought I had brought the map and the gazetteer into alignment, but apparently not!

La Foret des Loups is is in East Algonkia, between Attikamer and Mt. Tremblant. You can see the intersection of two trails there where the name should go.

St-Ignace is a Français fort across the strait from Michilimackinac -- it is mentioned (but not named) in that entry as "another small settlement" across the strait. I intended to delete St-Ignace from the map and mention it in the Michilimackinac entry, but I guess I dropped the ball!

My memories of that process are a little hazy -- I did much of the final edit of the map cradling a one-month-old baby in my arm -- the phrase "Night of the Living Dad" describes my zombified state pretty well.

Hey, I was recently doing some prep-work for upcoming adventures and campaigns, once more coming across a stumbling block when it comes to Cultures, this time First Ones.
I am setting my campaign at the time in Creek Territory, and I find that there aren't any cultures that quite fit that description. So I'm asking either if you could suggest a current culture that works, or some quick sites in which I could gather up some key things about their culture to make them distinct both mechanic and flavor wise.

Well Im having trouble with the Swedes. My players want to know how Swedes can be so enlightened and control most of Germany while the Norse are still Vikings. A lack of a swedish cultural info is a big problem with them.
We're gonna play in Ken-Tuk-ee but I think one of the players wants to be an Emmisary of Princess Christina on our Expedition.

But the Norse aren't vikings. Only the Vinlanders are akin to vikings -- they've been separated from Norse culture since coming to Northern Crown 600 years ago, were never Christianized, and have adopted many First Ones ways in order to survive. The Swedes of Gustavo and Cristina have very little to do with them.

I didn't include much info on the Swedes because their colonial presence is tiny compared to the other powers. They didn't work as character archetypes for me in the way that, say, the Commonwealthers or the Espaniards do.

If I ever publish a Uropan expansion book, you'll hear more about them.

Sounds good to me,... I'll make them sweat... I'm not a fan of Delaware anyway ( first state my...grumble, grumble) . And that Maryland... think they own the whole Potomac... grumble...

Oh, Under Dragoon it lists mounted shot. Is that just a variation of the mounted archery feat and if so does the dragoon also get mounted combat? Or is it just Mounted combat?
Or am I completely wrong and its a seperate feat totally unrelated to those two and just accidentally missing from the book.

Also kudos to you for making this game. Im a Virginian, and a huge colonial period fan. In fact I used to live a scant stones throw away from Braddock road, the departure point for General Braddock and George Washington to the wilds of Pennsylvania and the Monongahela Valley. I highly recommend a trip to Williamsburg or Jamestown for players of this game, if you can manage it that is. For everyone else Colonial Williamsburg has a living history podcast which has the living history players describe what their colonial life would be like. Its awesome.

Likewise a trip to Boston is good for the colonial soul.

Oh and for those really adventurous souls Virginias Frontier living museum is awesome.

I thought I'd add a couple of interesting books to the Bibliography of the game too. Albians Seed is a cool study into the folkways, and history of the disperate groups that settled Colonial America. It focuses on the English connection, but points to wave after wave of settlement in the different regions of America by people from different parts of Britain.

Another great book is the Robert Howard Book Soloman Kane now reprinted.

Citizens by Simon Schama might give you ideas for an alternate France, or just insights into the French Monarchy (plus its a great read)

Finally if those dont give you a few ideas or if you want to go in a different direction (say cathay or looking for the Northwest passage) Nathanials Nutmeg is a fun book on the British spice trade and the eventual exchange of New York for an insignifigant island chain in the pacific.

Not to blather (too late) but I love your new classes for the game. The Rake is totally in keeping with the period, Witches are cool and a little creepy with that Imp Familiar of theirs. Soldiers are a great period replacement for the fighter, Raiders are better barbarians, Natural Philosophers just beg me to play them. In fact Im glad Im running a game, because I couldnt choose just one.

Id probably play a Soldier/Rake who becomes a Falstaff in the long run if I did, but who knows.

And are you the artist as well, because your art rocks if you are.

Google is your friend :slight_smile: You might try your public or university library too. There was a book I saw that looked good, Deerskins & Duffels: The Creek Indian Trade With Anglo-America, 1685-1815 by Kathyrn Braund.

ryal.k12.ok.us/creek.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creek_(people

college.hmco.com/history/readers ... _creek.htm

georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/ ... p?id=h-576

kislakfoundation.org/prize/199802.html

This last site is on a mound in Northern Georgia.

ngeorgia.com/parks/etowah.html

The Natural Power area of the Northern Crown book got me thinking. I have a few Rifts books too and they use something similiar with ley lines and nexus sites.

Adventure idea...A powerful druid controls this area and uses the mounds to enhance his power for good? or evil? The Espanish area expanding their areas northwest from San Agustin. Will they run into the druid at the Etowah mounds? Or is there something worse? Maybe he's undead? See the Corpse creature template from the BoVD.
Or...maybe the mounds are abandoned and something or someone else is living there now. There's a few ideas in the Northern Crown book and the free adventure the Caves of Chisca that might be good to set around here like a short "dungeon" crawl like adventure or even an adventure with a lot of powerful First One druids.

Based on what I read above, I'd give them cultures simliar to the other First ones with druid as one of the "favored" classes, maybe a corn bundle magic/alchemical focus...maybe skill focus: Heal as a bonus feat? and bow, club as weapon bonuses.

Mike

Thanks!

I am the interior artist. The amazing cover art is by Aaron Campbell, who did a fantastic job, I must say.

I have a soft spot for playing agents and rakes, often multiclassed as sorcerers. My first Northern Crown PCs, however, back when it was Septentrionalis, were a very Falstaff-ish soldier and a lawful neutral witch, actually a father and daughter team.

Thanks Qstor, I found a few of 'em and alone they're a bit sparse but together I might be able to pull something together. Still though I am always wary on trusting wikipedia, sometimes they have stuff that's pretty good other times you just wonder about who wrote it.
But yea statting them has left me with some interesting problems, since determining their classes and some of their abilities is easy. It's more of the overall culture bonuses that I'm getting trouble with. When I figure something out I think I'll post it here for everyone to enjoy.