Ask Me About Northern Crown

I thought about it last night.

I'd go with appropriate classes, druid, cleric, raider and sorcerer.
The Heal bonus used by the Mohawk and the wind guard? bonus in forest or marsh terrain and somekind of magic totem bonus maybe +1? And a Survival bonus of +1. And weapons, club and longbow.

Mike

Classes, well actually I see it like this:

Bard: They had large groups of dancers used in both religious ceremonies as well as historians and general storytellers
Druid: Medicine Man type feel based around the healers of the Creek
Cleric: Their religion was centered around deities of nature, not nature worship itself, mainly their sun god though there are many references to gods of thunder, lightning, as well as farming I believe.
Raider: A large bulk of their forces were definately capable ambush warriors.
Scouts: They also had a large many hunters and general woodsman guides who prowled around either gathering intelligence on battle, as well as the surrounding areea itself and the movement of animals and such.
Sorcerer I haven't looked into their mythology enough yet.

Culture Bonus:
Traditional Weapons: Club and Longbow
I'd say would a wildshield based around most likely Forests and Marshes would be a definite.
But the rest like I said I haven't looked into Creek mythology very much so I'm not exactly sure if there are any totem spirits and the like.

It's an opportune time to announce that the second issue of Franklyn's Almanack from Adamant Entertainment will be available very soon via PDF. In case you're joining us late, FA is the official Northern Crown PDF zine, with rules expansions, background info, and adventure modules.

In FA #2: The Onondaga Mission, a full-length adventure for 4th-6th level characters; and an article by Brian "Iron Kingdoms" Gute about the sinister cult of Le Dragon Rouge.

I'll post to this thread when I have a street date. The text and maps are done, just need to do a few illustrations and wait for the layout to happen.

Any word on Franklyn's Almanack #2?

-Sorry to ask here and not at Adamant, but their forums are currently down :frowning:

Doug mentioned yesterday on ENworld that it should be out in a few days.

Jongluer, did you come up with a good Creek culture writeup?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I missed the forum at Enworld. :slight_smile:

I was wondering how and where George Washington fits into Northern Crown for you, Doug? Or if not, has anyone had an interesting ideas on the place of "His Excellency" in this wonderful setting?

And, sorry to ask again, but any word on Franklyn's Almanack #2?

Franklyn's #2 will be out "in June", according to Gareth.

I think I omitted Washington from the Northern Crown universe because I felt having a super-Jefferson and super-Franklin was enough. If he exists, he's probably an ambitious officer in the Carolingian cavalry, fighting on the southern frontier against the Espaniards. Maybe some key event, such as being turned down for promotion, spurs him to offer his services to the Sophians instead...

Thanks for an answer about FA#2. I hope that it does come out "in June" :wink:

As for Old George, I could see him as the leader of the Sophians that took over Logstown (which could spark hostilities between the Francais and start an NC version of the Seven Years/French & Indian War) or he could return as a general to be seen later if the Sophian War of Independence should require a second, more hotly contested round against the Carolingians in the future.

Doug, I have another question:

What method do you use when creating NPCs for Northern Crown materials, like Franklyn's Almanack?

I'm currently putting a few campaign modules together for NC and I'm wondering if there is a method to creating them, any standard guidelines someone should follow so that they fit with what has already been published.

There's a new review of Northern Crown up on the website D20 Magazine Rack:

d20zines.com/html/modules.php?op ... =0&thold=0

It has an ... interesting ... point of view on the game.

"Interesting" in this context being a synonym for "negative." :slight_smile:

Reading through it it seems he nitpicked it to death. Now I know I am biased as a fan of the setting and books, BUT it seemed to me that the "Problems" he had with the book were less about it being Bad and more about him either Not getting it or Deciding his Way of thinking had to be right. (I refer to his comments on the soldier )

While he places this as a HUGE engative...I find it to be a better variation of a fighter anyways...

PLus his opinions of the Rake as a lazy good for nothing duelst Obviously tells me he didn't read through it properly...:slight_smile:

Loath as i am to say that there's no such thing as bad press, in this case i'm inclined to agree with the sentiment. While there are bound to be people who just skim the article and see that NC got a bad review, and leave it at that, i read and reread the author's criticism. As it happened, i decided that i could deal quite easily with the problems that he described; and that, in fact, most of what he dislike seemed to be a matter of his personal tastes. Consequently, both the main book and the gazetteer are on their way to my house. I expect to enjoy them greatly.

PS: I remember that before the EN World boards went down temporarily, there was at least one Northern Crown thread. Does anyone know where i might find a cached/archive version of it?

The reviewer hits two of the complaints about my work I've heard from various sources since it was published last summer:

1. Guns aren't powerful enough. Why would I ever use a gun over a bow and arrow?

2. [fill in the blank] base class or prestige class is "broken" or unbalanced.

My policy as a writer is never to mount a point-by-point refutation of a negative review. But enough critics of the game have mentioned these two points to goad me into making a brief statement that I hope will clarify my intent as a designer:

Guns: I wanted guns to be ambush/duel/holdout weapons, with the emphasis on melee combat. If you take into account the higher crit ranges and the fact that you can keep a loaded gun at the ready in your belt or in your saddle holster with no effect on your melee combat options, they are actually a great choice for most PCs. Hit a mook armed with a longbow the first round with a double-shotted matchlock musket for 2d12, and his superior rate of fire isn't going to matter because he'll be dead. If anything, PCs should be very afraid of a group of 1st-level NPCs armed with muskets, because chances are one of them will crit you in the initial volley. In playtesting, I observed that guns were usually fired at the beginning of a combat and at the end of a combat, when that loaded pistol in your belt is just the thing for picking off the last foe. In between, lots of savage hand-to-hand fighting. I'm pretty happy with that. Players who want to build more adept shooters can go with the rake or scout class, and take the Rapid Reload, Both Barrels, or Take Aim feats.

1. "Broken" classes: My design priority for Northern Crown was out-of-the-box playability for anyone who had played D&D. I envisioned a choice of core classes that would offer something for casual players who wanted to play a straight d20 System class or slight variant, like the bard, cleric or soldier, or for more adventurous players who wanted to try a very different class, like the natural philosopher or witch. The prestige classes were where I really let my imagination run wild, and I'll admit that some of them are pretty far out, like the falstaff or the firebrand. A class that gets a negative Will progression or allows you to attract a mob of temporary followers is a really terrible idea, unless you're the kind of player (or reviewer) who thinks it's a great idea, right? :wink:

For the original hardcovers, I used DM Genie software, after creating new templates for the NC classes. Now I use Jamis Buck's online NPC Generator to produce a basic set of stats, which I then tweak by hand. Statting high-level NPCs is the single most onerous task in d20 System design! :angry:

BTW, I'm currently using the new stat block format from DMG II. Much better than the old one, which was too dense and hard to naviagate.

Just got my copies of the books (after several weeks of waiting- i'm never going with the free shipping option again!), and i'm pleased as punch. That said, i have a few short questions for Doug:
-Lithuania is briefly mentioned in relation to Teutonia, but isn't detailed anywhere else i've been able to find. Is it an independent nation, or part of one of the larger powers? Also, you have the admiration of this particular litvak for keeping it pagan.
-The flavor text for witches implicitly states that they usually belong to covens. Do solitary witches suffer any penalty outside of social interaction?
-Is there any possibility of seeing the map of Uropa posted online, or at least included in a future supplement?
-Have you seen Sean K. Reynolds's Anger Of Angels? If so, would the angels detailed therein be appropriate substitutes for the angelic orders you outline in Chapter Six of the Gazetteer?
-What, no jackalope?
EDIT: Also, why is Princess Cristina described as blonde-haired and blue eyed? I've found a number of portraits online of the real-world person which depict her with dark hair and eyes.
EDIT #2: The Overview section of the description of Naumkeag (Gazetteer, page 36) says to "see the Artifacts section of the Magic Items chapter for details" on Rebecca Blackwood's broomstick. There is no mention of this item in that chapter.

Welcome aboard. Northern Crown continues to find new converts!

Lithuania is independent -- like the First Ones, its people fight on against the Uropan powers against increasing odds. They have lots of witches on their side! This came up in the original Uropa 1666 campaign, which began as an extension of my Northern Crown campaign.

No penalty that you could codify as a rule, just more vulnerable to persecution and shunning by their neighbors. The Cherokee skili witches are along these lines.

Pssst! I have a detailed map of Uropa, and would love to get it in publishable form some day.

I haven't heard of this, so I'm not sure. The angelic orders I described are pretty standard in Judeo-Christian tradition.

You mean... they're not real? :astonished:

Because I had no idea there were portraits of her. Darn, that's just the kind of detail I hate to get wrong.

[/quote]

You are the first person to mention this. I'll post the stats of the broomstick to this forum if I have time.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm tinkering with an article for wikipedia about the setting while i have the time*, partly as an exercise in studying the setting. As i do this, i've noticed a few other errors, or at least what seem to be errors... should i post here about them here?

EDIT:

So cool. Glad to hear it... even though my ancestors were Jewish, i still take pride in Lithuania having held out so long against the spread of Christianity.

Any chance of seeing a smaller, low-res version, or something along those lines?

It stats out angels according to more archaic ideas of what they looked like... cherubim are sphinxlike, seraphim are firey serpents, et cetera.

I'll let you know when i catch one. Meanwhile, maybe when i have time i'll write up stats and post them here, if you don't mind.

No problem. I happened to have been reading about her prior to noticing her presence in NC... a few of my college classes gave me an interest in the persecution and acceptance of transvestitism in historic Europe, and she comes up now and then as an example. Wikipedia mentions she called herself "Count Dohna" on occasion, but i haven't been able to find anything backing this up just yet.

Thanks!

*I'm hoping this will work as free advertising :wink:. Very few settings not published by WotC have articles, and even those aren't terribly detailed.[/i]
[/quote]

If any error interferes with your enjoyment of the game, I'm happy to address it.

A Northern Crown wiki article would be great!

Thanks! You might notice i edited my reply a bit at the same time you were replying. I'm a bit quick to hit "submit" :blush: