Back to the library

"That explains the variant in the Charter," says Argentius as he listens to Lares's son. "The one that pledges protection to families in residence not simply the magi themselves."

Argentius considers what he has heard for a moment.

"Do you recall if Al Kufra included a leader of each of these groups on its Council? Or was there a council of covenfolk?"

Lares’ expression is distressed.

“We conquered the Berbers? That’s… distressing. We must have inflicted no small amount of suffering and built grounds for resentment. I certainly preferred the role of savior. As for my other feelings,”

he thinks for a moment,

“I don’t think my life up to this point is as different from this situation as you think. I grew up in a large covenant, part of a language minority, with religions galore, and a strict hierarchy, even slaves. See the analogy? This does not mean that I know the Berber people, of course, but I think I’m well equipped to try and relearn those lessons that you speak of. I hope you, your brother, and, with time, Barshako can help me with that.”

He clears his throat.

“The issue with Gift familiarity is likely to be pressing. Everything else has reverted, so why would that be any different? I think we should explain the effects of the Gift to everybody, so they can learn to recognize them in themselves.”

He pauses.

“I don’t think we can progress any further with the ledger. We should, however, urgently address this information Izri has provided about the social tensions in the covenant. You are right in emphasizing the leaders, Argentius. Izri, could you take us to persons who used to be the most prominent opinion leaders on each side? We should gauge their mood. It is important to tread carefully, however, to make sure we do not worsen the situation. Does this seem reasonable to you, Argentius?”

(If they agree to go, Lares will stop by his lab first to spont Aura of Ennobled Presence at range:personal, so level 5.

His total is 3 sta + 5 mu + 3 Im + 8 aura + 2 gest&loud = 23, so 1 fatigue. He rests for a few minutes before proceeding.)

[Edit to the above plan, if allowed: I'd like to cast this ceremonially instead, then divide by five, which means no fatigue and no botch die. It takes fifteen minutes for magnitude 1.]

Argentius nods to Lares with a thoughtful expression.

"If you'll give me a moment to stop into my lab. It won't take but a minute or two, and I'll join you."

Argentius walks with Lares, breaking off to stop by his lab. He heads toward his forge, taking up one of his casting tools. Taking his time, he casts Aura of Ennobled Presence (Level 10 6 Mu + 2 Im + 1 Sta + 8 Aura + Simple Die). He returns the casting tool to its place. Before leaving his lab, he looks to see if the date he left our for Fingers has been taken.

Argentius then returns to wait for Lares outside the magus's lab.

"Al Kufra had a leader for each group, who would discuss with Lares the management of the covenant. The leaders tended to be elders however, so even if we find who is the most recent leaders, they will not remember being leaders, and may or may not still carry the respect they had before. I do not know how the other groups organized themselves, but for the Berber it could take months or years for these social positions to work themselves out."

The date left out for finger is still there, and you both have the aura of enobled presence.

Lares stepts out of his lab and finds Izri and Argentius.

“If Izri is correct and leadership positions have not worked themselves out, we should perhaps see if we can intervene in the process. It is in our interests, after all, that the covenant become governable again as soon as possible. Where do the mundane inhabitants have their quarters? Do the language groups live in separate dwellings?”

Argentius greets Lares as they join back together. He considers Lares's words for a moment.

"I'm fairly sure they do live in their own enclave, at least based on my walk about earlier. And I agree, Lares, about our need to intervene but I think we need to keep our touch light at this point. We need to listen and learn right now. It sounds like a balance, a kind of equilibrium had been achieved of some sort. Not a perfect one, but one that worked. Each group clearly had their own approach to leading and governing itself within Al Kufra. And it sounds like you, Lares, were the Council member these leaders conferred with on Covenant business. We'll have to discuss together in council how we move forward. Language barriers might be a real challenge as we start out again. Will you remain the council liaison? Leadership will need to be nurtured. Perhaps we can even improve on the decisions of the past. So much to do!"

Argentius looks at Lares and Izri for a moment, a resigned smile taking over his expression.

“We should discuss this with the others, yes, but I’d like to see first what the situation is like on the ground. Before we can decide whether I should continue liaising with the mundanes, for instance, we must find out how they like me. If they all hate my guts, it might be wiser to consider another alternative.”

His gaze rests on Izri.

“Another problem, of course, is that I will have to occupy myself with the Aegis for the coming few seasons. I cannot learn languages or managerial skills until the more urgent business of the Aegis is dealt with. It might be best if I operate through agents, for the time being, and only take a more hands-on approach once I am able to dedicate more of my time towards managing the covenant.”

He twirls his fingers in his beard.

“Izri, can you think of any individuals within the language groups who are likely to be loyal to me still? That means, ideally, people who were born in the covenant and therefore have memories of me, and with whom I had a good working relationship.”

Izri considers "I think just about everyone left was born in the covenant. In theory any of the three of us (indicating your adopted sons) could be eligible, in my memory of course we weren't ever old enough to be considered elders, and we should probably find out who the current leaders would be from some of the younger children and sit down with them for a conversation, find out how comfortable they are as their younger selves, since they will find out eventually anyways. As to the others." he shrugs "the Cathars always had some kind of priest as leader, I don't know anything about the arabs."

“An excellent idea, Izri. Let us begin with a child, then consult the most recent leader of the Berbers as soon as we have identified them. We will decide on the question of leadership on the basis of the information we uncover in this way, and proceed with the other groups later.”

He starts looking around for a suitable child in the yard. Surveying the surroundings, he asks:

“You mentioned three sons. I have only met two thus far – who is the third?”

Iri nods "Winitran, he's the oldest, and I either haven't seen him or don't recognize him. Let me talk to one of the children, those young enough to remember may be affected by your Gift even if the acclimation still works, and if it doesn't." he shrugs.

”Winitran, Izri, and Merin. Very good. Yes, please, do ask the children which leaders or prominent persons they recall. We will stand to the side so as not to scare them.”

Argentius remains politely quiet as Lares speaks to his son, though it's clear that the Verditius is listening attentively.

"I think I'll go see what I can discover among the Cathars. The woman in the kitchen in my sanctum is a Cathar. Nicole is her name. I think she may be one of the Iuventae. Their situation is likely going to be the same as these Berbers: the leaders have become Iuventae and likely unlearned that which made them take the reins of authority."

Argentius turns and takes a step before turning back.

"Or would you rather we go together?"

OOC: what do you mean by luventae? I cannot find a reference to it anywhere except for a movie set in the 20th century.

OOC: Argentius is coining a term, as it were, for those affected by whatever happened which seems to have youthened us and the covenfolk. I'm not a latin scholar by any means, but iuventus is a noun that is the root of words like juvenile or immaturity. I liked it better than adolescentia. :slight_smile: Iuventae is a plural form, I think. So just trying to come up with some kind of label for distinguishing between those impacted and those not impacted.

1 Like

“That is a brilliant idea, Argentius, do go ahead. We can share what information we have gathered later.”

Lares stands to the side and watches as Izri interviews the children.

Argentius nods to Lares before turning to walk away, heading back to his quarters. He heads to the kitchen area to find Nicole.

"Nicole, who is leading the Cathars here at de Liberte? Could you take me to them?"

Izri interviews the children then stands up "We need to find Ziti, he was in his 60s and had been given a longevity potion, so he has probably lost a lot of time." He heads off towards the houses.

Nicole takes a deep breath "Last I remember it was Bishop Francois, but he was pretty old, and apparently much has happened that I do not remember."

Lares hurries along.

“Great. If you tell me what to look for, maybe I can spot him.”

Izri sighs "Let me handle this." He turns and knocks on a door.

“Of course. My Gift will only make things worse.”

Lares waits dutifully by the side.