Berenguer filia Rollant, scholae Jerbitonis

Some changes, necessitated by the flaw "Harmless Magic," and comments by JeanMichelle. All have coloured fonts.

Ivan

Berenguer filius Rollant, scholae Jerbitonis Phoenixensis
Covenant: Phoenix
Saga: Phoenix Rise from the Ashes

Characteristics:
Int +2 (Penetrating),
Per -2 (Dreamy),
Pre +1 (Pleasing),
Com +1 (Gentle),
Str +2 (Lithe),
Sta +2 (Robust),
Dex +1 (Graceful),
Qik +1 (Timely)

Size: 0
Height: 170 cm,
Weight: 75 kg,

Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (2)
Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues:
The Gift,
Hermetic Magus,
Affinity with Single Weapon,
Puissant Single Weapon,
Gentle Gift,
Educated (50/50),
Warrior (50/50),
Skilled Parens,
Improved Characteristics,
Mastered Spells (×2),

Flaws:
Transvestite,
Brutal Artist (Interactions: 3 with Jerbiton magi),
Dark Secret: Is a woman (Minor),
Restriction (Must be dressed as a man),
Harmless Magic,
Optimistic (Major)

Personality Traits:
Pleasant +2,
Optimistic +3,
Brave +3

Sigil:
Targets affected by Berenguer's spells have a pleasant demeanor for the duration of the spell

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1, Attack , Defense +1, Damage
Fist: Init: +1, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage +2
Kick: Init: +0, Attack +1, Defense +0, Damage +5
Sword, Long & Shield, Heater: Init: +2, Attack +14, Defense +14, Damage +8 (+1 Hardness of Adamant, +2 Edge of Razor = +11)
Sword, Long & Shield, Heater (mounted): Init: +2, Attack +17, Defense +17, Damage +8 (+1 Hardness of Adamant, +2 Edge of Razor = +11)

Soak: +8
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20)

Abilities:
Occitan 5 (storytelling),
Latin 4 (hermetic usage),
Artes Liberales 1 (music),
Magic Theory 4 (Terram),
Parma Magica 1 (Mentem),
Penetration 1 (Terram),
Area Lore: County of Toulouse 2 (legends),
Awareness 2 (in combat),
Charm 3 (first impressions),
Etiquette 2 (nobility),
Folk Ken 2 (townsfolk),
Guile 3 (maintain role as a man),
Single Weapon (Affinity) 6 (Puissant) +2 (Sword, Long),
Ride 2 (battle)

Arts:
Cr 0, In 0, Mu 10, Pe 10, Re 10,

An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 0, He 0,

Ig 0, Im 0, Me 0, Te 10, Vi 0

Equipment:
Wizardly Robes;
Fine clothing;
Signet Ring;
Pack;
Partial Chain Mail (Soak: +8) (Soak: +8; Protection: +6); (+2 Hardness of Adamant = +10)
Shield, Heater (Init: 0; Atk: 0; Dfn: +3; Str: 0; Cost: Standard)

Encumbrance: 0 (2)

Spells Known:

Flaws of the Weaponsmith (PeTe 30) +24, GotF p60
Mastery 2 (quick casting, multiple casting)
Increased by 1 mag for Duration: Mom to Diam to account for Harmless Magic
Taught by parens, who is a magus with a similar bent to Brenguer, and having the flaw “Harmless Magic.”

The Crystal Dart (Mu(Re)Te 10) +25,
Mastery 3 (penetration, multiple casting, quick casting)

Edge of the Razor (MuTe 20) +25,
Mastery 3 (penetration, multiple casting, quick casting)
Cast this spell each morning and evening on sword (+2 dam) (non-stress)

Hardness of Adamantine (MuTe 25) +25, HoH:S p37
Mastery 3 (penetration, multiple casting, still casting)
Cast this spell each morning and evening on armor (+2 prot) and sword (+1 dam) (non-stress)

Hauberk of Sublime Lightness (PeTe 30) +22, HoH:S p38
Cast this spell each morning and evening on armor, thus reducing load from 7 to 5 and burden from 1 to 0 (non-stress)

Rusted Decay of Ten Score Years (PeTe 15) +23,
Mastery 1 (penetration)
Increased by 1 mag for Duration: Mom to Diam to account for Harmless Magic
Taught by parens, who is a magus with a similar bent to Brenguer, and having the flaw “Harmless Magic.”

Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +12

Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +12

In Christ's Footsteps (ReCo 5) +12
Changed Duration: Conc to Diam to avoid Concentration checks in battle

okay

Why is she Female? Is the name female? Female knights are uncommon. Mundane people who find out will react strangely. Does your character disguise her sex? Is she a transvestite/Lesbian (dark secret flaw/personality flaw)? If she disguises her sex using magic for long periods of time - she will warp quickly.

No spontaneous magic at all - certainly not easy to play. It also explains her obsession with magic theory: Obviously, she likes rules to be followed strictly - a military mind-set, maybe? Not one for improvising?
Still, she is self-confident? Why? And why does such a self-confident person always pull her ear (that sounds more like no self-confidence). There are other - useful - martial virtues like tough, large, another affinity/puissant for a weapon skill, warrior, lightning reflexes, berserk, reserves of strength etc.
By the way, ear-pulling sounds like oh-I-needed-another-flaw-which one-can-I-get-cheaply. I will allow it, but then we need rules for attacking the head (I think they are in the LoM free download). Your character is advised not to wear helmets (which means no helmet can disguise her gender).
Spell Mastery might fit better than the two MT virtues.
In general, your virtues/flaws are an odd mixture.

I need brave for fear rolls.

Soak: +8
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20)

skills: 280xp(-10xp affinity MT)
arts: 115xp
mastery: 90xp
total: 485xp
45xp (early child) + 300 xp (skilled apprenticeship) + 50xp travels = 395xp
6 years pre-apprenticeship needed: 6*15=90xp
0-5 early child
6-11 pre apprenticeship
12-26 apprenticeship
numbers okay (did you think of the reduced MT cost?)

Limiting your Latin means you can't communicate with other characters without misunderstandings (lvl 4 recommended)

You can have partial chain mail (it has Prot 6; load 4), normally; plus a longsword, plus a heater shield (as a magus)

Encumbrance: 1 (3)

[/quote]
Some of your spells are not from the core book. Give the source (if it's LoM, also give a description - I don't have the book). If you made them up yourself, include a description (follow the example of the core rulebook spells). If there is a similar spell - name it!

Hi JeanMichelle,

It will take me some time to make the changes. I'm using MetaCreator to build, without access to my books, as I'm on holiday. I have an unreliable internet access, making things much more difficult than expected. I've made a start, and will try to finish it tonight. If I'm unable to do so, I may not be able to finish until early December. In that case, you'll have to begin without me, and let me know, if and when I can join the saga.

I've already taken your advice on Spell Mastery v MT virtues, and I've tweaked the spells and arts. I still have to mess about with the Flaws, as I'd like to keep the female character, but may decide to dump it as too hard and difficult, which would mean a change in the back story. I'll put book and page refs for the spells, assuming I can get the information from the web.

Ivan

I say go for the female character if you can make it work in your head, since the three characters already approved are all women too.

~snicker~ Anyone familiar with the Harem plot archetype in anime shows?

Just call me Tenchi. :laughing:

I'm certainly trying to make it work as a female warrior type, but I think I'm going to hit the buffers with time. I have many family obligations while on holiday, and tomorrow is chock full of them (which is no bad thing, just a little inconvenient at the moment).

I'll ask a mate of mine about the anime.

Ivan

A day more or less won't be critical as long as you stick to your basic concept
female Jerbiton knight that masters spells to make up lack of spont magic

Of course it would be unfair, if your finishing touches took advantage of knowing the situation at the covenant better.

Family first.

I wouldn't do that. It would feel (and be) very wrong.

Mastery is not to make up for lack of spont. Her focus (albeit, not an Hermetic focus), is (and was) on combat. I have done some tweaking in that respect. I view her as a Jerbiton, who wishes to express herself with the sword, rather than the brush. To that end, I might take the flaw "Brutal Artist."

Ivan

A gracious, elegant captivating fighter - misunderstood by her house. Good!
I start seeing her, which is a good thing.
Okay, post a list of virtues and flaws (or - even better - a character), so I can see if she's bunch of numbers or a character. Sticking to MT is possible.

Reading this thread, my warped little mind thought of two (irrelevant) things:

1. I think it would be awesome to have a maga who was incapable of casting formulaic spells, but had the Casting Requisite "Must twitch her nose".

2. "A gracious, elegant captivating fighter - misunderstood by her house. Good!" "Hello...my name is Inigo Montoya" :laughing:

Ray

Gentlefolk,

for your delectation, a new version of Berenguer has been posted.

Ivan

Comments:
Since story flaws all count as minor (see house rules), I assume this is major optimistic.

Flaws/Virtues are allright. Better then that: they go together well.

Abilities:
Please mark the weapon skill as an affinity (e.g. in brackets) and write Puissant as +2 (it helps me keep track).
I assume your math is correct (too lazy to calaculate again - if anyone else wants to - feel free).

equipment: war horse missing

Ah: found Flaws of the weaponsmith GotF, plus the ennotated others

nods
Oh what a knight!

Thanks.

This is much nearer my original (poorly executed) intention. Thanks for making me revisit it, and the suggestions. I like this much better than my first attempt.

I have made a couple of changes to the spells, as I woke this morning to the realisation that the perdo spells (part of the core idea) wouldn't work with Duration = Mom, so I have tweaked the levels of "Flaws of the weaponsmith" and "Rusted Decay of Ten Score Years," to give D:Diam to each, and an explanation of their origin. I've also made a note about casting the Hardness and Weightless spells on his (her) armor and sword, as well as notes for the effects in play. I also changed "In Christ's Footsteps" from Conc to Diam (no level change). Concentrating in a fight is a bad idea.

I built the character using MetaCreator. Shall I send you the file?

Ivan

I may be wrong here but I assume that the rust of a duration momentary spell is permanent.

Perdo effects remain after their duration has passed
if you increase the duration what happens is that rust can't be "fixed" until the spell has ended

You are both correct, in general. I believe (but I don't have my books with me, and I've tried copying the text from MetaCreator, but have not been able to do so) that the flaw "Harmless Magic" causes Perdo effects to be temporary, and that things destroyed or damged by a thus flawed Perdo effect return to their original condition at the end of the duration of the effect.

If that is true, then Momentary Perdo effects are not useable for this character, and need to have longer durations.

Ivan

Shame on me! I missed Harmless Magic.

I must join in the shame as well, as I also missed the flaw

I must take some as well, as I forgot it during the build. It's a complex task, and some errors are always possible when new kit is wheeled out for the first time.

Ivan

I think I need to make a change to Berenguer's focus for awareness, from "Battle" to "Social Settings." It seems more fitting, given his social skills.

Do you approve?

Ivan