Betweentimes at Bentalone

They allow you use of their library for a season for a pawn of vis, and have a +3 bonus to research rolls. The ease factor is hidden information, as is the ease of finding Val Negra or Astellas garden... season choice is at your discretion.

Then we are back to the Leaf's question. Can we get vis from covenant coffers for our projects?

In if that is in return for work, what work needs doing?

It's our covenant, we don't have oversight from elders, so I think reasonable withdrawals are fine. (Speaking as one who doesn't need any.)

So need-based rather than equality-based? Fine with me.

What is reasonable? Would 5p for the infernal^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hnon-hermetic ritual be reasonable?

Alienor would be fine with that. She would love to see your garden blossom, and nothing could possibly go wrong.

Yeah, sure.

Yeah, sounds fine by me as well

The ritual looks too good to be true, and Jerome cannot quite bring himself to trust it, nor to reject it. He decides to go to Toulouse and pay 1p of Vis to read the best book they have on Magic Lore, and specifically research the following questions in the Spring of 1199.

• Are there any reports on the Daimion in the ritual? Its origin and its power? Roll 12.
  • Where can he find Astella's Garden? Roll 7.
  • What tradition does the mysterious ritual come from? Roll 13.

I reckon there would be time for a couple of follow-up questions if the above give half answers, within a season of reading.

Source Quality?

If he finds something promising he is ready for an adventure in Summer or Autumn.

there are no reports that you can find with this daimon named or listed.
Val Negra
it does not appear to belong to any known magical tradition that you can locate.

• Where can he find Val Negra? Magic Lore 9. If he is allowed an area lore on that one, he rolls 0+6. Stress roll?

standard double botch die stress for research.

no botch

Somewhere in the Pyrenees.

Final ones

• can I find references to other sources which can tell more about Val Negra? Roll 8
  • can I find references to authorities on this kind of daimons? Roll 15.

At 1-2 days per roll we are still well within the afforded one-month distraction from reading.

Source quality for Magic Lore?

the book SQ is 14
you can find a bounty of references on Val Negra- not all of them are present here
what "type" of daimon are you doing research on- you have not found anything to help you classify the daimon further than when you arrived...

The question is, if none of the books on Magic Lore in that Library can give information about the named Daimion. Where ought one look? Who has that kind of knowledge? If he draws a blank, ok, np.

Does any of the books on Val Negra stand out as particularly authoritative?

They range from speculative to crackpot in the search for Val Negra. It is said that writing a book on the location of Val Negra is the resource of those who have given up the search, since nobody who is searching would give away what they know. Also a lot of collections of letters between those searching...
The big question would be where the daimon came from- is it a magus who went to the hall of heros, or something more ancient? You do have one source that apparently knows something- the person from Paris who sent you the ritual.

Does Jerome say anything about Val Negra? From Alienor's response above, it looks likely.
Because Gerrard is a Flambeau, who surely knows a bit about it (whether he is willing to share, or might want to hinder the search is another matter, up to that player)

I think the Flambeau have forgotten where it is, right? I've always assumed there must have been some PeMe ritual done by the Diedne after they attacked it.

Doubt they have forgotten it! Most may not know where it is located, exactly. But it's pretty legendary. Maybe they think it was destroyed, rather. although some Flambeau in canon know where it's located.