Blood Curse?

I was revisiting my old Chronicles of Amber books (by Roger Zelazny), and I was reminded that the scions of Amber can cast a mighty Curse when their lifeblood is spilled.
Is there anything similar in Ars for someone with Greater Faerie Blood, Magic Blood or Mythic Blood?

I keep thinking the dying character with Mythic Blood should be able to cast a Death Prophecy on their slayer.

Addenda - the forum suggested that this topic is similar to Deathbed curse

1 Like

There is nothing that is specifically tied to any bloodline that would confer such power, but there are abilities or virtues that can accomplish something similar. Usually, though, they are not strictly Hermetic.

Chthonic Magic gives you access to the Infernal "Cursed" duration which ensures the effect will take hold if a certain condition is met.

Merinita's Faerie Magic has a "Bloodline" and "Until" duration. The former will curse the target and all his descendants. The latter will ensure the effect lasts until a certain condition is met but will require a Ritual to cast.

Hex supernatural ability is all about such deathly curses; the more distant the realization of the curse, the easier it is to cast (A plague upon thy seventh son!)

Gruagachan Curses are fairly versatile in what they can do, when they activate, and who they affect; they can also affect entire bloodlines without any rituals needed.

Just off the top of my head.

Of course, if you consult your DM maybe he'll let you devise some sort of Death Curse with your Mythic Blood power. The power should be designed using Hermetic guidelines, but its not technically Hermetic Magic so shenanigans could happen, troupe willing.

2 Likes

Nothing quite like it, but if you are dying anyway you could use Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic to cast a really high-level spell - one that will kill you. Or the ability of the Leper Magi to take vis from their body and take a wound in return - vis that can be used to boost a spell.

1 Like

Or some Life-Boosted killing spell...I mean, if you're going to die anyways, may as well go all out.

There is HoH:S p.37 The Last Flight of the Phoenix, a revered spell of House Flambeau going back to the founder and insuring, that the caster can take close opponents with her when she casts her last spell - especially if she still has some Ignem vis to burn.
No need for Virtues, Curses or such: Flambeau do this with a spell - and other magi can, too.

1 Like

... except that as written, it's R: Personal and as such cannot affect anyone but the caster.
Thus the errata states that:

Still does something though.

On the "Death Curse" side of things, "The Contested Isle" (pg 122) has the following power:

Death Curse, 0 points, Init –20, Vim:
The individual who strikes the death blow of a dobhar-chú is affected by this power automatically. This power is fueled by the creature’s remaining life, and each of its remaining Fatigue levels adds +5 to the Penetration Total of this power (represented by the Life Boost Virtue). Within 24 hours the dobharchú’s killer finds himself in imminent danger of death due to some accident or freak of nature. A bridge collapses beneath him, he is trapped in a burning building, or struck by lightning, or some other apparent accident. Such disasters do not automatically mean the death of the character, but they will need to be lucky or skilled to escape alive. The curse should be considered to be a 50th level spell for the purpose of countering it.
Ritual Power (no Hermetic equivalent).

4 Likes

A defixio curse (from Ancient Magic) is more or less designed to do this. The Event duration ("someone kills me") combined with the Unlimited range ("my killer") could be combined with any Hermitic effect in response to the triggering event. It requires a ritual, but it could be cast well in advance and held abeyance until you were dying.

2 Likes

In principle, Latent Magical Ability does it.

As for game balance, here's the catch. For a central character, like a companion or magus, even an extremely powerful Death Curse is something that's not quite worth a Minor Virtue, per se. Because it will come into play only once, if at all.

On the other hand, if it is known (i.e. it carries an appropriate Reputation) it's suddenly worth 1 or 2 Virtue points in that people who do know about it will only try to kill the character in desperation (note that it's still a bit weaker than Death Curse, which protects the character absolutely, and from a much wider range of threats). In this sense, I think it's a fine replacement for the "free power" of Mythic Blood.

I would not allow such a Virtue to apply to grogs, in that a) it devalues how mythical the Virtue is, and b) grogs are more expendable, and you don't want a dynamic that encourages sending an old grog to fight a dragon knowing he'll die, but the resulting curse will kill the dragon.

1 Like

The free power from Mythic Blood, if you don't speak or gesture to activate it (because you are, y'know, dying), is limited to a level 15 effect. Less if you include any penetration. Which leaves you with a "death curse" that is closer to "all your hair falls out" than actual death, or even significant damage.

I agree that a death curse is extremely cool and would add a lot to your story, but Mythic Blood or the like isn't going to get you there. Even a Gruagachan Give Curse effect, which actually gives you a bonus for Poetic Justice (HMRE p. 64), isn't going to kill your murderer at that level. And I'd hesitate to handwave such a power into existence for a being with Magic or Faerie Might, because a Verditius mage using an inner mystery could capture it and steal the ability, without killing the creature and triggering the curse.

You have misunderstood me. What I am saying is: it's a fair tradeoff to replace the free power from Mythic Blood with a much stronger "Death Curse" ability (say, the equivalent of a RoP:I Hex resulting from a stress die + Intelligence + Hex + aura bonus = 21 or so - choose your own delay modifier), plus an appropriate level 2 Reputation. You trade the "standard" unlimited uses of a weakish power for a very strong, one-use power ... and the reputation you have it.

1 Like