Calculus

You guys are amazing!

All of these are great ideas and we will be taking some of them.

I like the development of Hermetic Topology (I might take that towards making regio linkages more complex rather than the linear progression we have now)

For newtonian Mechanics, I had been toying with an analogous split between QM and GR that we have now. Two different ways of looking at the world with some agreement, but areas of irreconcilables.

I quite like being impish and suggesting that Newtonian mchanics works by default, but if anyone observes with magic, or interferes with magic it suddenly becomes aristotilean :slight_smile:. Like the folk myth that in QM observation changes the results. Thus implying that Aristotle was an empriricist, but also gifted, and so his observations would not quite agree with a purely mundane empiricist.

But these are all great contributions. THANK YOU!!!

Bob

6 Likes

You began this thread with a proposal to introduce the calculus to Mythic Europe, but in your "thank you" statement, you mention "Newtonian m[e]chanics." I just want to point out there's a big difference there. Newtonian mechanics (as expressed in his Principia) unifies observed motions with a theory called "universal gravitation" which is equally adept at explaining the motion of the apple falling from the tree as it does the moons of Jupiter. So, if you introduce Newtonian mechanics into your game-world, your characters would be able to explain the motions of the planets with a simple theory that applies equally well on the terrestrial sphere. That unification can be expected to have a profound impact on the human perception of "the heavens" and by extension, astrology and religion. Introducing the innovation of Newtonian mechanics into your saga would be inconsistent (and I believe less enjoyable) if you restricted its effects to just magic theory or architecture. If one of your characters were to apply Newtonian mechanics to certain domains, and propagate their results, swift and severe religious and social reactions would be justified in your setting. (We've seen this kind of backlash throughout human history.) An earlier response wisely asked how would the calculus impact the play of your saga, and I would suggest that its cultural impact would be immense, and under-appreciated in previous responses here, if the calculus were to be applied to develop anything akin to Newtonian mechanics.

2 Likes