Call for ArM5 Errata

Copied from Personal Power quality in RoP:M:

The effect must meet at least one of the following criteria:

• The effect must be Range: Personal, OR

• The effect must be constant (see the Mag-ic Powers sidebar, above).

Still makes little sense to have range Touch on a power that is constantly effecting the being with the power, but granted it is just a highly unoptimized effect that cost 33% more than it needs to.

It’s trackless step, it doesn’t affect the being it affects the earth as the person or creature walks.

False. The Target of the spell is who it is cast on. It prevents the target from leaving tracks on the ground, it is not targeted at the ground and prevents tracks from forming there.

If it was the second case then it would need much more size than a base individual. Spells do not freely change their target throughout their duration.

It is a legacy spell that was not updated quite right or works a little odd but folks have been playing with it in the game for years. Look at that spell description in the core book, it only affects the caster.

Nothing in the description states that it does not use standard Hermetic rules and guidelines. Other spells that do not meet those standard rules and guidelines say so in their descriptions. If the actual intention was to be as you say, then that should have been clearly stated (and is thus a needed errata).

As it stands now, the target of the spell does not leave tracks.

EDIT: I am not trying to be another word for a donkey and know it is a legacy spell since I have been playing since 3rd. We are discussing something on an errata thread and I am trying to point out that as it is currently written where it falls within standard spell guidelines as listed in AM5.

It would be errata for the core rules, with possibly knock-on effects here, and I think it would be quite serious errata. I will have a think about it.

1 Like

Good point. I think that the fix here is to say that magi do not need to take Outsider, because they are already magi, and thus Outsiders. What do you think?

If that is the argument: isn't the consequence, that magi must not take Outsider rather than do not need to take it?

1 Like

Agreed. Since "Outsider" isn't stated to be compatible with "Hermetic Magus" (and I see no reason why it should be) then mages cannot take the "Outsider" social status.

1 Like

While not my errata, I agree that it should be Magi can not take "Outsider".

Is there a reason that Jews are required to use the "Outsider" Social Status Flaw rather than their own Story Flaw along the same lines as "Pagan"?

While fixing that, the text of the Minor version of Outsider should be corrected as well since RoP:tD p.136 says

This Flaw is usually only appropriate for grogs; companions and magi should take the Major Flaw instead.

Dropping "and magi" would make it correct:

This Flaw is usually only appropriate for grogs; companions should take the Major Flaw instead.

Realms of Power: The Divine p. 10

There are two guides for an aura of near-chapel cemeteries. By the reading of the first, one would assume the graveyard has an Aura of 3. The provided drawing, however, places the graveyard at Aura 4. In addition, the drawing's legend is missing entries for Church Common, Keep and Water Wheel (less important here)

This is confusingly inconsistent and should be corrected, either by removing one guide in favor of another, or specifically stating which guide has been used for the legend.

2 points:1 Not addressing spells because they are legacy spells means they are not consistant with the current edition, and you are requiring new customers to have the old edition to understand them. Pretty much anything that can be explained as "but it's a legacy spell" means it needs to be fixed, even if it is to indicate an in game reason why it does not follow normal hermetic guidelines.
2) A magus is inherently an outsider to most of Mythic Europe, but what about a magus who is a outsider within the order- for example if you are in the Rhine and the magus is a Moor (both racially and religiously) then they will stand out in ways that is not covered simply by Hermetic Magus or the Gift, and will be alienated within the order as well as without.

3 Likes

Regarding Longevity Rituals:

If you pay someone else to do the work for you, there are two questions that arise:

1. Does the cost of it also include the Lab Text (presumably already without the maker's shorthand)?
  2. Does reusing it require you to have a Lab Total that equals or exceeds the Lab Total used to make it?
1 Like

See here for the rule: TMRE p.42 box Longevity Ritual Vis Limits.

In MoH, p. 69, a MuHe charm adds one magnitude for "Excessive Size Change" but in Hermetic Projects, p. 89, to reduce something by a factor of 1000, requires three magnitudes. The MoH effect reduces 20 lb sacks to the size of a grain, which seems like a millionth of the volume.

Some clarity would help.

Yes. There is definitely at least one error here. It may actually be that both are in error. I say that because the only core example we have (MuCo) suggests shrinking is notably easier than growing. If that's the general case, then the HP one doesn't need so many magnitudes and the MoH surely still needs more, so both should be corrected.

Fixed along those lines. (I've also fixed the Minor Flaw.) Thanks!

Because "Pagan" is not a social status in most of Mythic Europe, while "Jew" is.

1 Like