Calling all responsible parties!

Hi:

To the Legends of Hermes' author responsible for Conciatta of Bonisagus, I would like to ask:
Why on Earth would you name her consort Currito?!!! :open_mouth: Is this a joke of some kind? :unamused: I hope you know that Currito is not even a proper Spanish name, it's more like a nickname & one that seems preposterous for that mage (due to his background) & the epoch.

Jus' wonderin', since Ars Magica products seem to me to always strive for the best & most accurate feel within the mileu. No joke-names, no ostentatious faux-silly names... :laughing:
T

'twas not me...

However, I wonder what makes you assume that name might be "Spanish"?
The character is a magus, and magi are often named in Latin ... Spanish is a descendent of Latin, so looks a bit the same. Before you slag someone for poor Spanish, consider that they might have written Latin instead.

Currito is a perfectly plausibly Latin name...

Hi:

Thanks for the response. Tell me what does "Currito" stand for in Latin, or a sample of the name in a original text in Latin, please. :wink:

Currito, (as it stands to reason), is a Spanish mage in Spain - if his background & story is correct. It's not often, but some mages don't take up Latin(-eske) epithets.

Thanks!
T

You are correct that not all magi have Latin epithets, but a word which fits the shape of Latin and not the vulgar tongue, when applied to a magus, is by reduction, probably Latin. You say "it is bad Spanish", I suggest "that's because it's not Spanish".

You'd have to ask Mark, but I'd translate it as 2nd pers sing Future Imperative of curro, currere = currito .. something like "Go hastily!" in English... My explanation of the outer limits of Latin tenses is not good.

HI:

Sorry for my confusing you. Currito is Spanish. It's just a word one would never use for a name, unless one was joking. Like Clithorys... :blush:

Confusing yet?

T

Ah, the curse of the monolingual Brit. I've found references to a place in Guatemala, a burrito franchise, a film (and its series of remakes), and a meaning along the lines of "bloke", in addition to the Latin-inspired meaning. But my understanding was that it was a proper male name, fallen out of use now, which means "free", which I thought was an ironic use given Conciatta's emotional hold over the character.

Apologies if this is not the case and for any offence caused.

Mark

No appologies necessary - it's just an hilarious name!

My friends, who know about such things, tell me this:

"Currito" is shorter for Francisco, which comes from Franco or Frank (in Olde German, "free". Liber is usually the Latin word for "free" - thus "liberty" & such). But the correct name oughta be Franco or Frank or Francis.

There you go - no harm done... if none was intended... Just gotta tweak it a bit. :slight_smile:

T

Every level I go on in Free Rider 2 And some other games I always see spam in the comments. How/When did you think this started?