Cecilio ex Bonisagus, the Younger

If it is just fluff to explain how an item affects lab characteristics, i am fine with that. as long as the level meets the need and it is seni plausible. i would do the same.
i started to get paranoid that you are trying some blod and sacrifice magic from the infernal :slight_smile:

Strictly speaking I'm not sure you need the Vim in there, but if it the theme you're after then excellent.

I'm wondering what Camillus Aurelius' (Mr. Spooky) reaction would be...

Alright I think I have enough approval? Anyway, I did the rolls.

First the risk modifier was +2, and original research let's you choose how much you apply to some degree.

First Lab Season: Stress roll, was 8 obviously the full +2 is applied for a total of 10. Discovery! The simple die was a one. This means the second season in the lab is stabilizing the unknown. Third season is the chalice, and the fourth season is Ritual for a Healthy Babe

Second Lab Season: The second stress roll was 8, the +2 still applies for a total of 10. Discovery stabilized!

Third Lab Season: Stress roll was 4, again apply the +2 for a total of 6. Side effect! Got a 4 on that for a minor side effect. The simple die was a one. Again. Chalice enchanted!

Fourth Lab Season: stress roll was a 5. Only applying +1 for a total of six. Side effect! Rolled a five on that for a minor side effect. Simple Die was eight. This makes the final lab total Creo(11)+Corpus(6)+Inventive Genius(6)+MT-Cecilio(8)+Int-Cecilio(2)+M.T.-Purity(6)+int-Purity(2)+Lab Experiment Specialization(11)-Lab General Quality(-4)+Lab Corpus Specialization(5)+Risk(1)+Simple Die(8)+Aura(?)=60+ Ritual for a Healthy Babe invented!

From an IC standpoint I did great! Breakthrough on the demon blasting spells. But since Cecilio has no real intention of finishing that its really a season down. But its still more than a lot of magi contribute in the never ending war against the infernal.

Cecilio
1238:
Write Mastery Tractatus on The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch - Adventure XP?
Practice Mastery of Gentle Touch of the Purified Body and The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch - 10xp Mastery Gentle Touch of the Purified Body and 4 xp The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch
Write Mastery Tractatus on Gentle Touch of the Purified Body - 2 scribe xp
Study Corpus Hermeticum 12xp Magic Theory
1239:
Practice Mastery of The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch - 14xp Mastery
Study Secrets of the Earth 17 terram xp
1240:
Study On Transmutation 13xp Muto
Invent Clean Room - PeVi - 10 and Demon's Eternal Oblivion - PeVi - 5
Stabilizing the Unknown
1241:
Enchant Chalice of Blood CrCo(Vi) - 25
Study The Art of Destruction 15xp Perdo
Study Breath of the Sky 19xp Au
Ritual for a Healthy Babe - CrCo - 30

Purity
1238:
Set Up New Lab
Set Up New Lab
Refine Lab
1239:
Refine Lab
Add Spacious, Greater Feature*2 (+6 Experimentation) Elementary (Experimentation) Greater Focus (+4 Experimentation)
1240:
Add Extensive Stores.
Write Tractatus on Brawl Q12 - Wolf Style
Assist in Lab
Assist in Lab
1241:
Assist in Lab
Set Up New Lab
Set Up New Lab
Assist in Labwork

In 1242 she'll be writing out a bunch of lab texts. Any suggestions for side effects?

So what did I mess up? I also wonder what Mr. Spooky would do. Probably get mad after the duration wears off if it does anything at all.

Can you do all that in one season?

I think so? It would be a house rule so Marko would be the one to ask. One minor virtue, two major virtues, two major flaws. I should describe the lab in better detail.

Yeah, it is the Flaws balance Time HR. If you missed that with Lucas, go ahead and retcon.

You may want to check of this: IIRC, targeting a baby inside the womb needs T: Part, I believe (but it's been a long time)

The item is fine IMO, and quite nice. However, you don't need a Vim requisite (what does it adds to the effect?), so that would be level 20.

As for lab bonuses, I direct you to Covenants: When you create an item to give lab bonuses, it works as the applicable Lab Virtue if there is one (Like, you create an enchanted forge, it works as a Lab Focus). It's only if there's none that resembles the item's effect that, as a rule of thumb, you gain a +1 per 20 points (btw, as such, I can't remember if it's per 20 full points or not)

Doesn't it require the Minor Hermetic Virtue Fertility Ritual Magic to access the target Unborn Child? (See, box on p. 55 of Ancient Magic.)

yes and no. To target the unborn with a target equivalent to individual requires the fertility magic virtue. For some purposes (for example, PeCo to cause a miscarriage) the fetus can be targeted as 'part'.
This specific effect would, I believe, require the virtue.

The vim requisite allows for the mystical component of blood, such as vitality from blood or using it for Mr. Spooky. Theoretically, at storyguide's discretion. I could remove it if you really want, but

As for the lab bonuses I think its ten levels for a specialization or twenty levels for a characteristic. Page 121 of covenants. The Bookstand of Hespera is a level 20 item that gives +2 to texts. I'm open to other suggestions for what it would provide.

Reading the box on page 55 of Ancient Magic I think that Fixer is basically right. Second Trimester onward the unborn baby can be targeted as part. Which would make the spell this:

Ritual for a Healthy Babe - CrCo - 35
Range: Self Duration: Mom Target: Part, Ritual
This ritual has no effect unless cast by a pregnant Maga in her second or third trimester. Her yet unborn child has its stamina increased by one, to a maximum of zero. At least that's the hope. Even if the spell works it would be difficult to tell if it was effective.
Base 30 + 1 Part
Original Research: Fertility Magic

Alternatively, making it simply range touch and casting it shortly after birth would have a similar effect. As an added benefit it would have way more potential recipients. Would either of those work?

Additional stuff:

I did roll the die for reducing the warping from stabilization. I got a 10, so no warping. Woo.

I also finally wrote up the laboratory. I don't feel strongly about Purity providing excessive heat, but I feel its appropriate. If anyone disagrees I'll remove it.

Cecilio's Laboratory

Cecilio's lab is constructed around a central arcane diagram carved into the floor. Several parts of the diagram are unfinished to allow for chalking in what is needed and some parts can be removed or swapped to allow for modification on the fly. Much of the equipment is designed to be modular or multipurpose, and their is a large variety of relatively cheap ingredients in lieu of the standard more expensive laboratory supplies. This makes standard lab work impossible to perform, but greatly cuts down on cost and space used while still allowing for experimental procedures. Another unique piece of equipment is a set of dozen small cauldrons, allowing her to run simultaneous experiments while slightly varying each one to see the differing effects. A great boon to experimentation.

Purity renders the lab hot to an unhealthy temperature due to her Ignem Monstrosity providing the Excessive Heat "virtue" for free.

Major Virtues: Greater Feature (spell circle +3 Experimentation), Greater Feature (Cauldron Set +3 Experimentation)
Minor Virtues: Spacious, Extensive Stores
Free Virtues: Magical Excessive Heating, Chalice of Blood, Corpse Wand, Organ Extraction Knife
Major Flaws: Elementary, Greater Focus, (Spell Circle +4 Experimentation)
Characteristics: Size+0, Refinement+2, General Quality-4, Upkeep-3, Safety+6, Warping+0, Health-1, Aesthetics+6
Specializations, Ig+2, Experimentation+11, Corpus+5
Note: Familiar Stats not included in lab characteristics.

Alright, there are still a few questions about spells/items, but they seem mostly hammered down.
For the Chalice of Blood we have the side effect, and the vim requisite. I suggest it leaves the users hands bloody as the side effect. For the vim requisite, I think it fits with the "taint with magic" guideline. The added bits are bolded.

Chalice of Blood
CrCo(Vi) 25 One Use/Day, 0 Penetration
Range: Touch Duration: Sun Target: Ind
This is a Chalice carved from Bloodstone, this fills with human blood upon command. The blood is tainted with magic in an attempt to mimic the bodily energy or vitality, but the effectiveness is up to storyguide. Furthermore, when the duration ends anything that used the blood may suffer, much like using any temporary product of Creo magic, such as eating temporary food, or using temporary bricks to build a wall. As a side effect, the users hands become bloodied.

For hermetic magi the main benefit is corpus research adding 1 to both a lab's corpus specialty and experiment specialty.

Cecilio's sigil makes the blood taste of copper.
Base 5 +1 touch, +2 sun, +1 vim Req
Original Research: Fertility Magic - mainly because its blood and fertility magic can affect traits passed down by blood

We never really got any comments on the corpus ritual. The only real benefit would be the self-targeted nature of the spell. Regardless this spell is NOT done.

This ritual has no effect unless cast by a pregnant Maga in her second or third trimester. Her yet unborn child has its stamina increased by one, to a maximum of zero. At least that's the hope. Even if the spell works it would be difficult to tell if it was effective. As a side effect a few tears of blood come to the maga's eyes.
Base 30 + 1 Part

Otherwise, it seems all is good? More to the point, the xp totals won't change, so I'm gonna start doing the math on the character sheet.

A point- with the target as part the math allows for casting on someone else's child without raising the magnitude, why not take advantage of that?

Aesthetics. I strongly encourage people to not push each and every advantage to the max. There are plenty of bonuses and advantages this saga offers beyond the scope of core rules. A drawback or suboptimization once in a while balances that out.
But I am glad you pointed that out because things like that earn my favor.
:smiley:

First off, it makes way more sense when it comes to the original research. Basically what Marco said.

Second, its a personal range which eliminates warping. Theoretically at least, I could see a story guide ruling otherwise, especially if you wanted to indicate a "flaw" in hermetic theory. Regardless from Cecilio's perspective the chance at reducing warping is the better than range. I should put that in. Anyway, I think optimizing from the characters perspective is important.

This ritual has no effect unless cast by a pregnant Maga in her second or third trimester. Her yet unborn child has its stamina increased by one, to a maximum of zero. At least that's the hope. Even if the spell works it would be difficult to tell if it was effective. According to Hermetic Theory the child should not be born warped, but the result is up to the discretion of the story guide. As a side effect a few tears of blood come to the maga's eyes.
Base 30 + 1 Part

Nice!

Serf's parma, but it looks fine.

There's the issue of warping, though :frowning:. The core has it at being affected by a 6th magnitude or higher effect. I believe Marko raised that to 7th, but even that doesn't get you out. But it's fine! Powerful spells, experimentation, all this should make you a little bit strange!
The real question, though, is who gets warped? Cecilio, or the baby? On the one hand, it targets the baby (it gets its Stamina raised, not Cecilio), so it should get it, but this is debatable (If I change your arm to stone, do you lose the warping if it gets cut?). You may want to raise the issue on the forums, this could interest people.

Errr... No? Unless I misunderstand you, affecting someone else's child would require range Touch at least, making the spell Base 30, +1 touch, +1 part = 40.

Good question! If I understand page 168, you don't get warping for your own spells. If the baby is just part of Cecilio there would be a good argument for Cecilio being the one to (not) get warping. A touch range version of this spell cast by someone else would cause warping to the mother by similar logic.

But wait! This is part of fertility magic research. And fertility magic has the baby as its own independent entity. So from that perspective the baby should gain warping! Anyway, I added one more line to in the post right before yours. Summary: Make the story guide figure it out!

If it is cast early in the pregnancy, and the child counts as Part, and the spells is designed for yourself, then I would say that it should work fine since the child counts as part of the mother still. Latter in term, if the child could survive a c-section, then maybe not.

Cecilio
1238:
Write Mastery Tractatus on The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch - 2 Scribe XP
Practice Mastery of Gentle Touch of the Purified Body and The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch - 10xp Mastery Gentle Touch of the Purified Body and 4 xp The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch
Write Mastery Tractatus on Gentle Touch of the Purified Body - 2 scribe xp
1239:
Practice Mastery of The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch - 14xp Mastery
Study Secrets of the Earth 17 terram xp
1240:
Invent Clean Room - PeVi - 10 and Demon's Eternal Oblivion - PeVi - 5 2 M.T. XP
Stabilizing the Unknown - 2 M.T. XP
1241:
Enchant Chalice of Blood CrCo(Vi) - 25 +2 M.T. XP
Study The Art of Destruction 15xp Perdo
Study Breath of the Sky 19xp Au
Ritual for a Healthy Babe - CrCo - 35 +2 M.T. XP

Alright then XP Changes Total
+4 Scribe XP
+18 The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch Mastery XP
+10 Mastery Gentle Touch of the Purified Body XP
+26 Muto XP
+17 Terram
+15 Perdo
+19 Au XP
+44 M.T. XP

Then we can look at the CoB character sheet.

And then we combine the two for the new sheet.

Cecilio ex Bonisagus

Name: Cecilio ex Bonisagus, the Younger
Warping: 1 (7)
Confidence 2 (5)
Int+2 Per:+0 Str: -2 Sta+1 Prs:+2 Com+3 Dex-3 Qik+0
Personality Traits: Generous+6, Compassionate+3, Sarcastic+2
Wizard’s Sigil: Metal

Virtues: Inventive Genius, Flawless Magic, Good Teacher, Self-Confident, Imbued with Spirit of Corpus, Unaging (Faerie), Cautious Sorcerer, Independent Study, Magical Blood (Wolf, Keen Sense of Smell, From Adventure)
Notes/Details: The wolf blood expresses itself in a handful of features. She has wolf ears on the top of her head, and a wolf's tail. Strangely her nose is the part with heightened senses, being that of a wolfs. Her appearance is frozen at age 21 although most people would guess just a touch older.

Flaws: Weak Scholar, Unbearable to Demons, Infernal Stigmata (numerous small cuts), Compassionate (minor), Plagued by Supernatural Entity, Generous (Major)
Notes/Details: The Plagued by Supernatural Entity is supposed to represent the contact with the Queen of Ice, Blood and Sand. The Queen isn't actively malicious but she is more than willing to sweep up Cecilio to where ever, or invite her to a ball/dance/party/ceremony. As she is a Faerie these end up in one sort of adventure or another. Cecilio sees the Queen as sort of a decent friend if a bit odd. More to the point she does tend to go to events when invited or help when needed.

Abilities:
High German (Swiss) - 5 (75)
Area Lore: Rhine Tribunal (Forests) - 2 (15)
Charm (women) – 2 (15)
Brawl (Dodge) – 2 (15)
Athletics – 2 (15)
Order of Hermes Lore (covenfolk) 1 (5)
Concentration (meditation) – 1 (5)
Guile (getting out of trouble) – 1 (5)
Folk Ken (covenfolk) – 1 (5)
Magic Theory (Experimentation) – 5+2 (96)
Latin (Lab Texts) – 5 (76)
Code of Hermes (Faerie) – 1 (5)
Artes Liberales (Ritual Magic) – 1 (6)
Faerie Lore (Queens) – 1 (5)
Finesse (beauty) – 1 (5)
Philosophiae (Ritual Magic) – 1 (6)
Profession: Scribe (Lab Texts) – 1 (11)
Parma Magic (Vim) – 2 (15)
Teaching (Familiars) – 1 (5)
Magic Lore (Wolves) – 1 (10)
Hunting (Smell) - 2 (15)
Survival (Forest) - 2 (15)
Area Lore: Magic Realm (City of Brass) - 0 (1)

Artes
Creo: 11 (74) Intellego: 6 (27) Muto: 6 (26) Perdo; 5 (15) Rego: 7 (32)
An: 0 (0) Aq 0 (0) Au: 5 (19) Co: 6 (21) He: 3 (6) Ig: 10 (56) Im: 2 (3) Me: 2 (3) Te: 5 (17) Vi: 3 (6)

Known Spells
The Chicurgeon’s Healing Touch – CrCo-20 (+20) Mastery 3 (33xp), Life-Linked Ritual, Silent Spell, Still Spell: Pg 129 Core
Gentle Touch of the Purified Body - CrCo-20 (+20) Mastery 2, Life-Linked Ritual, Silent Spell: Pg 129 Core
Purification of the Festering Wound – CrCo-20 (+20) Mastery 1, Penetration: Pg 129 Core
Lift the Dangling Puppet – ReCo-15 (+16) Mastery 1, Multiple Casting: Pg 134 Core
The Gift of Vigor – ReCo-20 (+16) Mastery 1, Ceremonial Casting: Pg 134 Core
Intuition of the Forest – InHe-10 (+11) Mastery 1, Introspective Casting
Shriek of the Impending Shafts – InHe 15 (+11) Mastery 1, Ceremonial Casting
Heat of the Searing Forge – CrIg 10 (+23) Mastery 1, Multiple Casting
Leap of Fire – ReIg 10 (+19) Mastery 1, Precise Casting
Wizard’s Sidestep ReIm 10 (+11) Mastery 1, Fast Casting
Gaze Of Pain CrIg 15 (+21) Mastery 1, Multiple Casting: Custom Spell
Hear Their Pain-InCo 15 (+15) Mastery 1, Introspective Casting: Custom Spell
Walk on Air-ReCo-15 (+16) Mastery 1, Precise Casting: Custom Spell
Vis Hunt InVi -15 (+11) Mastery 1, Ceremonial Casting: Custom Spell
Banana Slices CrHe – 20 (+17) Mastery 1, Secure Casting: Custom Spell
Clean Room - PeVi - 10 Mastery 1, Fast Casting: Custom Spell
Demon's Eternal Oblivion - PeVi - 5 Mastery 1, Fast Casting: Core Spell

So anything I mucked up before I add it to the wiki and my sheet thread?