Chapter 0: Konrad Arrives at Fengheld

"Lubeck... isn't there a covenant near there?" Tabanus asks, before commiserating about Konrad's attitude towards him, "It is sad that mundanes perceive our Gift as something disturbing, or 'wrong' as you say. This can lead them to such extreme reactions when exposed too much to us. Despite that, we see many mundanes trying to exploit the magic members of our Order wield. Just to turn upon us when it is used against them by their rivals."

"So how was Nigrasaxa as a place to be apprenticed? You finished your apprenticeship, what... last year?"

"There is a covenant in Lubek," Konrad acknowledges, "but it only accepts magi with the Gentle Gift." He shrugs. "It would have been nice to be back in the city. But alas ..."

"Nigrasaxa was a fine place to be an apprentice. Maximianus was an excellent pater, and I was fortunate to learn under him. He was very kind with regard to the resources he was willing to expend on me. I had a great many learning opportunities during my apprenticeship. I gauntleted a year and a half ago," he adds. "But I've been wandering for a bit since then, trying to decide what would be best for me. Thankfully the Order accepts a certain amount of wandering from a young magus before he settles down."

"But I'm monopolizing the conversation," Konrad says with a chuckle. "I don't want to be a boor and go on and on about my apprenticeship. No one likes those stories, however clever they may sound in your head. Tell me more about your own travels. Are you training to be a quaesitor?"

Tabanus smiles, "I already am, sodalis, and that is one of the reasons I was assigned to this tribunal. It is quite short-handed, with only three other Quaesitores for a tribunal that is quite populous. I came to confer with Archamaga Eule, who lives here, before deciding on where I will be the most useful."

"And do not worry, the things you tell me are of much interest to me," he adds. "It will help me better understand the tribunal dynamics and who lives here. You were telling me that you wandered a bit before coming here. What covenants did you visit in that year-and-a-half? Where did you live and study after you completed your apprenticeship?"

"I stayed at Nigrasaxa for a bit after my apprentice, but that was about it," Konrad says with a smile. "I didn't stay at any other covenants during my wanderings. I had enough money to see some of the world, and a few books to study while I was there. It was frustrating not to do any lab work for that long, I'll admit. But I intend to live for a long time and spend a lot of that in the lab. It was nice to have a vacation after my apprenticeship where I could travel free of any commitments, and to settle down to a cottage by the sea to study medicine without undue interruptions or covenant politics to worry about. It may be decades, if ever, before I feel I can do that again. It also allowed me a chance to have a long visit with my parents. Again, that's something that will be hard to do once I have research projects taking up all my time. And as I said, this is a time in my career when I can get away with that. No one looks askance if a young magus takes a little time to get his feet under him. But try the same thing when you're in the middle of your career and people will say you don't have the proper commitment to the craft." He smiles again. "The Gift made it harder to manage a get-away, but not impossible. All-in-all, despite some problems along the way, I'm glad I did it."

Tabanus nods, although he looks a bit surprised at Konrad's tale, but still aparently oblivious to the unthruthfulness contained in the tale.

"It is quite unusual for a just-Gauntleted magus to take this path, particularly one without a gentle Gift. Mundanes to not take kindly to a stranger settling for a time amongst them, even without the effects of the Gift, so you were unusually lucky in that regard. Was that because of your family connections?"

"For myself, I was eager to serve after finishing my apprenticeship, so the idea of spending over a year doing... well studying mundane knowledge... seems quite strange. To each his own, I suppose."

"What are your plans now?"

"Lucky, perhaps," Konrad replies. "Really it was more the result of capable servants and an isolated location than family connections. Though I suppose the latter part of my holiday at my parents home would have to be considered 'family connections.' It certainly helped having them deal with the neighbors."

"For now?" he adds with a smile. "Now, I put my nose to the grindstone and try and make a name for myself as a magus. That probably means a lot of time in the lab. I'm most interested in self-transformation magics and healing magics - that's one reason I was interested in mundane medicine. But I suppose I'll have to see where my research takes me. A young magus is not always the master of his own fate."

"Where does your own research take you?"

[hr][/hr]
FWIW, I tried to make sure that everything Konrad said is justifiable based on what actually happened. Technically they never were a covenant (at least by the rules of the Order). It was a handful of magi in a few cottages by the sea for a year-and-a-half. Not 100% true, perhaps. But not nearly 100% false.

"Nothing much research-wise. I get some study done here and there, as I visit various covenants, and learn the spells I need to perform my duties." He smiles, "you Bonisagi get it easy, as you are pretty much expected to study and invent new magics. My house is more focused on our duties to the Order. It is a heavy burden but also an honor which we perform willingly, but it comes at a price."

"Well, I wish you good luck in your endeavours. I hope we can speak again."

"Good day to you," Konrad adds. "I wish you luck in your travels and hope you find a place to settle down properly."

Konrad will then wait for an opportunity to talk to Dorana or Rudolf as they seem the two most sympathetic to his situation.

(OOC: Does he actively seek either of them out? Or does he wait for Dorana to come back to him regarding confirmation of his peregrinator status?)

He'll wait for Dorana to get back to him. (He doesn't want to be a pest.) But he'll look for opportunities to chat with Rudolf. I wouldn't say he';s going to actively seek Rudolf out. But he'll keep his eyes open for him.

Three days later, Dorana seeks him out with good news, "I have secured sufficient support to be able to confirm your status as a peregrinator of the chapter house for the next three years," she tells you with a smile. "With the praetor from Nimbosa Myrice expected to arrive soon for the Spring Council Meeting, I will introduce you so that you can travel back to the chapter house. In fact," she adds, "I will be travelling back with you in order to check myself the progress of the chapter house and discuss various topics with the magi living there. So it seems that we will be travelling back together. Isn't that great news?"

"Excellent news," Konrad agrees. "Thank you so very much for your help in this matter. I truly appreciate all you've done."

"I was wondering, however, about whether I'll be paying for my peregrinator status in vis or in service. It makes very little difference to me in a practical sense. Either way I'll be spending a season to maintain my status. It's just a matter of whether that season is spent extracting vis or supporting the chapterhouse. It just occurs to me that if I'm to be stationed at the chapterhouse, I might be more useful giving them assistance than just taking up space. It would also give me a chance to impress the magi of Fengheld with my ability to strengthen the covenant, which is something I'm obviously concerned about."

"That having been said," he adds. "I understand that the decision lies entirely with the magi of Fengheld, and I'll happily oblige with whatever form of payment you prefer. If you do decide that a vis payment is more appropriate, then I'll just do my best to impress the magi with my lab work instead."

"Also, if I may ask, what are your thoughts on Tabanus of Guernicus? He's been asking a lot of questions about ... well, about everything. I know that's part of what a quaesitor does, but he seems more eager than most. I've no particular reason not to answer his questions, but I don't want to appear indiscreet either. He mentioned that several members of the covenant appeared to be avoiding him. Is there any reason that I should as well? I don't want to appear unfriendly. But I also don't want to start off in Fengheld on the wrong foot."

"The covenant usually prefers that peregrinatores provides raw vis, as it is much easier to tally and prevents endless discussions as what a specific season of service may be worth," answers Dorana. "On the other hand, if you are interested in performing services then I am sure we could find someting for you to do and reward those services with vis, which you could then use to pay for your visiting rights."

She shrugs, "That may seem somewhat roundabout, but that actually ends up being simpler for everyone. I understand that the chapter house will indeed have some services that it need done, although I do not know if these will be in your areas of expertise. But we always need more Vim vis, so if nothing else works you could extract vis in the lab to help us maintain the Aegis for the chapter house."

On the subject of Tabanus, the older maga's tone is cautious, "You should, of course, always cooperate with a Quaesitor in any official investigation that he is performing. Tabanus is a new arrival in our Tribunal, freshly arrived from Duresca, and as such could... misunderstand some of our customs here in the Rhine. So of course some of our people are cautious about speaking with him, for his reasons for coming to the Rhine are unclear to many." Dorana smiles with some reserve, "I do not believe that simply speaking with him occasionally will engender any ill-will or suspicion, but you may not want to associate too much with him, either."

She rises, "Now, if you will excuse me, I have some preparations to make before the Council Meeting the day after tomorrow. I would think that we will be travelling to Nimbosa Myrice soon after that."

"Thank you for your words of advice," Konrad replies. "They are much appreciated. And as I said, I'm perfectly content extracting vis if that's what the covenant would prefer. I'm also content to help out at the chapterhouse in any way you would find useful."

"As for leaving just after the council meeting," he adds. "That suits me fine. The sooner I'm settled at the chapterhouse the better."

He stands and bows to Dorana. "Until the council meeting, then."

The day of the Spring Council Meeting of Fengheld arrives. It is apparently a pretty formal and large event for the covenant, with each of the formally attired magi accompanied by an honor guard, with banners, to the decorated meeting hall. Konrad doesn't get to see most of it, as he has to wait until he is called to attend for the presentation of his formal request for visitations rights as a peregrinator. This comes near the end of the meeting, so he spends several hours cooling his heels while the magi attend to their business.

Finally, he is called in and presents the request in the way that Dorana has informed him would be the best. He realizes that there are almost a score of magi in attendance, plus several redcaps. Once he is finished with his presentation, the Leader of Fengheld, Archmagus Stentorius, calls for a vote. The large man is quite stately with his massive grey beard and elaborate robes, his familiar Oswald, a large grey cat dozing on a comfortable cushion, rousing himself shortly to gaze at the young magus. One after the other, the ostensibly dressed members of the covenant express their approval at the request, some speaking welcoming words to Konrad. Seated on a second tier of seats arranged outside of the inner ring of the members, other peregrinatores try to display some interest at the proceedings, but for the most part seem rather bored.

After the approval has been formally recorded, Konrad is invited to join the second tier of seating. The rest of the meeting is fairly boring, although not without interest to him, as the members dole out excess resources amongst themselves. This goes by seniority of the members, with some magi standing in for those absent or living at a chapter house. Of particular interest to him is the leader of the new chapter house of Nimbosa Myrice, Renatus of Jerbiton, who represents all of the members living there. The magus wear of hood and his face is not visible to Konrad from his current place, but is voice is strong enough as he communicates the preferences of his fellow magi regarding raw vis. The amount granted to those many is fairly small, but that seems in line with what is given out to some of the other younger magi.

A few more topics are brought forward after that, but thankfully the meeting ends not too long after. Once all of the more senior magi have formally processed out, the more junior ones scatter. Konrad notices Tabanus speaking with another young maga, but then Dorana joins you with Renatus of Jerbiton.

"Sodalis Konrad," says the older maga, "I thought you'd like to meet your soon-to-be host at the chapter house. This is Renatus of Jerbiton." As the Jerbiton moves forward, Konrad notices heavy scars on his face, partially hidden by the hood he wears. Dorana turns to address him, "Sodalis, this is the young magus I was speaking of previously."

Konrad waits outside the council meeting with the patience of a magus who's used to waiting for reagents to reach a desired temperature, or harden, or dry, or do any of a half-dozen other things that take time. He has no book with him to while away the hours, so instead he meditates, mentally reviewing the details of a transformation spell he's had in the back of his mind for some time.

When the door opens and he's asked to come in, Konrad does so reverently, presenting his appeal, then answering what questions are asked and making what pledges are required. As he's voted on, he graciously accepts any words of welcome with a muttered word thanks and a bow of his head to the voting magus.

He certainly finds the the remainder of the meeting interesting. This was the largest covenant he'd ever seen, and it was fascinating to see how they ran their meetings, not to mention their covenant in general. He pays careful attention to all speakers, particularly Renatus, until the meeting finally ends.

At that point he walks over to Dorana and Renatus, offering his hand to the younger of the two. "Thank you for the introduction, Dorana," he says to the maga, adding, "it's a pleasure to meet you, Renatus" to the disfigured magus. He shows no discomfort at all upon seeing the man's scars. He'd long since gotten used to such things with his own shield grog, Gerhard. Konrad had nursed Gerhard back from the brink of death when the poor man had been attacked by bandits back in England. And the injuries to the grog's face had been quite severe. The experience had all but inured Konrad to the sight of facial scars. "I look forward to getting to know you better."

The Jerbiton magus shakes Konrad's hand, his grasp firm but unchallenging. "Yes, I have been informed that you would be joining us at Nimbosa Myrice," he replies with a nod to Dorana, his tone neutral but tired. "We had let it be known that we would soon have space for an additional magus at the chapter house, but I must admit we were not expecting it to be a peregrinator just yet. So I'm afraid that our facilities for visiting magi are still fairly limited, particularly regarding our library. Still, if you are looking for a quiet place to study, I suppose our chapter house will be a good place for you."

There is a hint of a smile on Dorana's face as she comments, "I am sure that you will do justice to Fengheld by extending full courtesies to our sodalis, Renatus. It is, after all, your duty to our covenant as praetor of the chapter house. Oh, I forgot! How silly of me. I will be travelling back with you tomorrow back to the chapter house, to inpect your progress there." The smile on her face blossoms, but it has a hard edge as it does. Renatus' jaw clenches as he hears this, but he nods and says, "As you wish, magistra Dorana. You are of course welcome to visit us at any time."

Turning to Konrad, he nods again, "Sodalis, if you will excuse me." His tone now sounds quite tired as he turns away and slowly walks away and out of the covenant's hall-turned-to-meeting chamber with a slight limp.

"Of course," Konrad replies when Renatus begs off. "Quite understandable." It was clear that the magus was not happy to be getting a new peregrinator right now, but couldn't do anything about it. Konrad would clearly have to be careful not to offend the other magi at the chapterhouse. Politics reared its ugly head. But then he knew that was a price of being in an established covenant. And it was better than the alternative.

"I stand ready to leave tomorrow at your convenience," he says to Dorana. "Do you know what time we'll be departing?"

Dorana shrugs, her mind apparently elsewhere as she looks at Renatus receding back. "Probably sometimes during the morning. I don't believe that we will have any large amount of supplies travelling with us, nor a huge number of grogs."

Turning to the younger Bonisagus, she adds, "Make sure to pack clothes suitable to wet ground. I hear that the chapter house is set in a bog somewhere in Saxony."

"I'll be ready after an early breakfast and await on your readiness to leave," he replies. He had nothing else to do in Fengheld, at least nothing he could get done in a few hours. So, after making his goodbye to Dorana, he instead tries to meet some of the other magi and peregrinators while they're all gathered in one place and predisposed to talk.

As for packing, he only has the one chest of clothes. It's a good thing they were made of good waterproof wool, suitable for the cold and wet of England and the cold and wet of Helgioland.