Chapter 1: Helping Horst OOC

@jebrick: ok, thanks for the warning

Honorus fully expects to catch hell from Hildegard for the child comment to the monks. He will try and sneak some beer for her :smiley:

:laughing:

Rabanus has no preparation spells to cast and most probably, until further notice, never wont have.

Calculation time. There is the lead wolf, who only watches so far, one wolf for each magus and two wolves for each grog.
That is a total of 11 wolves!!!

Lead Wolf:
Init +8
Other wolves Init +7
Wolf Stats RoP:M p. 144, lead wolf ???
Feel free to use any grogs, no matter who they are supposed to protect, throw any dice you want. If you attack a wolf, say which one it is (either by describing it (e.g. the slender she-wolf) or by saying who is attacked by it).

Character Init (Quickness + Enc + die), other factis might play a role
Honorus +2
Rabanus + 6
Hildegard +1
Arturous +8
Gunther + 4
Albirich+12
Diderik+11

Aura: fairie: 2
All our physical fighting rolls get a -2 for terrain.

Arturous will cast circle of beast warding, and then continue with wizard's sidestep. he will stay inside the circle,waiting for the grogs to pick up the wolves using bows/ranged weapons.

Circle spells take a while to cast, which material do you use to draw an unbroken circle? ArMp. 112

If there will be a circle of beast warding, Rabanus will stay inside of it.

If not, or even if, the grogs should form a cirlce around the mages (at least those that need/want protection, like Rabanus) and Rabanus will stay inside of it, defended by his shield grog Albirich.

Rabanus will cast Wizards Sidestep on Albirich with range touch and duration diameter, so still level 10.
Invisible castle is down at the moment so i cant roll, but everything but a botch will make it work and Rabanus will lose 1 fatigue level.
Apart from that Rabanus cant contribute anything to the fight.

I'm not sure what you want. Do you want us to declare actions for grogs/Magi? Are we making rolls? This the above the combat order? Or do rolls have to be made for init?

@jebrick: Actually, I am not too sure myself...
That is why we are doing this introductory game. I did roll dice (or rather the randomizer function of my calculator that I've been using instaed of D10 for ages) to determine initiative numbers.
I do trust you enough to roll your own dice and assign some minor modifications yourself unless you want to attack the alpha (because that one has special stats). I thought you could roll for your characters and the grogs, and I'd roll for the wolves and Hildegard. But if you want me to handle more or less of the combat, that is fine as well. If I discover flagrant rule abuse, I can still prostest agaisnt anything you do - otherwise just ask if you are not certain how to handle some of the mechanics in that situation.
There may be factors that change the initiative order, but by and large this is what happens. Some player characters do their stuff, the wolves attack (charge), the slower characters do their stuff.

This is our first big fight. I hope we will be able 1. to have fun 2. to handle the mechanisms 3. to make it sound like a real fight on the in character thread.

@gozer: snow has been crisscrossed by wolf tracks and running animals so it cannot be used to create an unbroken circle in this situation. The ground underneath is frozen so drawing a ring will take long. Since I assume your character knew this (even though you, the player, didn't because of my less than perfect description of the situation), Arturous would probably opt for another course of action.

edit: @gozer: saw your post on the other thread, I reconsider: It is possible but takes to rounds to complete if everyone fits inside.

I'm rather new at this, so your help is much appreciated. I was thinking that Arturous can use his staff to draw a small circle, about 5 feet (the staff's length) in radius, on the ground. if it takes more than a couple of rounds, Arturous will instead cast a personal protection spell on himself.

Okay. It gets sticky in these combat situations on a play-by-post format. The way I've done it in Novus Main was the sets up the init table. Basically makes all the rolls for who goes when. That might slow down because of all the moving parts here. what you might want to consider is to have everyone declare and action. Wolves attack, Gunther bashes nearest wolf. Hildegard cast spell to turn wolf inside-out, ext... then you just go down the init table that you have rolled. If you want us to write the story for our actions it gets tricky because combat order.

We need the init table in any case if someone wants to fast cast to move up the init table. Ars is not a very good combat game. :smiley:

The wolves could do combat as a group but then we would have to put ourselves in groups. Logically it is grog and Magi...which is bad for those magi without wards vs animals(which you may fast cast on yourself in response to an attack. Base is 2 + duration. a ReAn4 is personal sun duration).

Albirich Wound after attack: one medium one heavy, incapacitated= -8, sleeps

Diederik: two light wounds, one heavy= -7

Gunther: 2 medium, one light= -7

Honorus spell:
2 wolves /w medium wounds; initiative (except lead wolf) goes to party next round.

Ups! That was rather bloodier than I intended!
I've noted your comment jebrick. I was already in the middle of posting this round when it came, but I will try to use it for further rounds.

Now, everyone gets one action before the wolves attack again. If Arturous finishes his circle, there will be two wolves and Diederik inside, the other grogs and wolves will be outside.

Ok, so casting Wizards Sidestep on Albirich doesnt make sense anymore....

I guess Rabanus will cast a personal beast warding on the grogs on himself instead then. It wouldnt penetrate the other mages parma so i wont try it on everyone.
Base 2, range voice (+2), duration diameter (+1), target group (+2) = level 15

beast warding on the grogs and himself (1d10=4) + Re 10 + An 1 + Sta 1 + Aura 1 + exagerated gestures 1 + loud voice 1 + 3 levels of fatigue from life-linked magic = 34

Rabanus loses 4 fatigue levels and is dazed but the grogs and himself are protected from wolf-atacks for 20 rounds. That time should hopefully suffice to kill them all or drive them off....

I´m afraid this spell (and the other mages casting protection spells on themself) and the subsequent killing of the wolves, which i wouldnt want to roll out in all detail, only partly handle point 2 and totally miss points 1 and 3.
But fighting against 11 wolves and needing multiple wounds for every one of them to kill them will lead to awfully repetitive in character fighting description and tons of die rolls. Personally i wouldnt want to go down that road.

I want to emphasize to the Magi to fast cast ReAn Even if you have zero in the arts you can try to cast it because zero is a score you only need a roll of 4+. You can spend a confidence point for +_3 to the roll and you can do that after the roll. All these wolves will kill us in 1 round unless there is some defense.

Don't worry, you are doing well so far (everyone is protected against the normal wolves and alive). About your worries of endless wolf slaughtering: The wolves won't fight till the last one drops dead - they are too clever for that (but hey, now is the time to get yourself a nice little souvenir - a genuine pelt!).

Oh and there is the lead wolf...

Don't be too quick to put those grogs out of their misery - maybe someone else has got an idea how to heal them or move them the remaining 5 hours to Dankmar.