Chapter 1: Helping Horst OOC

Chapter 1 will be a rather straight forward mission, in which we can test our magi in interaction with PCs and NPCs, and have a simple fight or two.
Perfoming well on this mission will make some things easier in the future.

Please do not use the in character thread for any ooc debates - if you write something ooc in the in character thread, limit it to a few lines about game mechanics at the end of your post, prefaced with "ooc".

Please note that I'm writing in the past tense. This is a trick: It makes the text sound more like a story, which - hopefully - facilitates writing.

champaign corks

zlorfik made the first post! We've started. Again, we are really quick - I've seen sagas bickering over rules for months!

gozer+jebrick - place yourselves somewhere at Durenmar so that I can call you for a meeting.

One more organisational question.

In cases of prolonged absences, I suggest, we gently move the absent player's character along (keeping him away from critical situations as much as possible), try not to maim or kill him/her and put him in a library at the end of a game-time season.

The question is:

After how many days of silence can we start taking your character along?

Please answer the question - individually and for your own character - in a way that allows your co-players (co-players is definitely a better word than play mates, it took me a second to find an approproate term) to keep playing if you are absent, but that also permits you to play your character as much as possible.

3-4 days works for me.

Gozer

Unless its the weekend (fri-sun), i will normally post within 3 days.

Apart, i dont think we will have to have posts from every player everytime before you post something new Jean. Sometimes i dont post because i dont have anything to say :wink:

I will post Theron's stats ASAP. I need to consult RoP:M

Theron is a familiar?

Magical animal companion

:blush:
Stupid me. Old and forgetful idiot that I am...

What have we packed?
The three grogs carry heavy bundles including survival gear, blankets, tents, torches, ropes and so on. You can assume that they know what to pack for a few days in the Black Forest in winter. If you want unusual equipment to be packed, add it in this thread or the in character thread.

Spont InHe Spells for locating the wand
+4 Arcane connection, momentary allows a short glimpse

base I: get the exact direction or distance of the other wand (Point your arm and say: "this way")
base 2: see in your head the immediate surroundings of the wand (Im req to make it visible for others), locate the wand with a map, gives distance and direction
base 3: tells you who broke the wand
base 15: Speak with the wand

Here is a first, incomplete pass at Theron. i've never made a magical animal before and based this on the Owl of virtue in RoP:M and the chapter before on Magical Characters. Please feel free to make suggestions or changes.

Theron - Magic Might 13(Auram)
Size -3

Characteristics:
Int +2
Per +4
Pre +0
Com 0
Str -6
Sta 0
Dex +1,
Qik +2

Virtues (One or two more. Not sure if the "special" counts as a minor or a free. )
Magical Animal (special)

Flaws
busybody
nocturnal

Powers(Not sure about how to purchase this. Might Points? A virtue?)
Ability to Speak.

Fine so far
You can add skills as in HoH: MC, p. 39f.
Language: German lvl5? Latin lvl5? Or both but only lvl 3?

Associations: wise, perceptive, bad omen, used to lure birds in hawking

As for powers, I find RoP:M complicated and mathmatical.

My Suggestions:
Virtues:
1.keen hearing
2. One supernatural perception virtue (but I don't want the owl to be able to eclipse Rabanus second sight)
3. see powers

Flaws:

1. Social handicap (superstitious people she owls during the day as a bad omen); -3 to social rolls (except intimidation or similar) for owl. May also apply to people who treat her like a pet (feeding her, talking to her)
  2. nocturnal
  3. busybody

Powers:

• night vision, free, always on
  • Call birds (Cost 3): As long as it croaks (=concentrates), birds flock to where the owl is and "hate" it (make threatening sounds, movements)
  • discern truth (Cost: 2+penetration bonus): owl finds out if the speaker is trying to lie

How well do the magi know each other?

There are maybe 120 magi (my guess, the number is somewhere, but the exact number is not important) magi in the Rhine tribunal - so there are maybe 10-20 young journeypeople (political corectness sucks :smiley: ) among them.

Artourus is from Stonehenge - he's like the infamous boy from the other form at your school (sorry, my teacher's perspective is shining through :smiley: ), or the new kid in town trying to find new friends?
Rabanus and Hildegard from Durenmar - they must know each other well, since their apprenticeships were parallel. Did they hate, like, bully each other? Play pranks on the covenfolk together? Go to Latin class together?
Honorus is from Fengheld, and a Tremere to boot - you know him (and whose filius he is), but you may not be sure if he's not playing for the other team

these are just some thoughts - not even suggestions - the player characters probably won't need to introduce themselves to the others, but they may not yet be best buddies, but our field trip might help, which is one of the reasons why I sent them on this straightforward little adventure together. What I want to avoid is that we focus on establishing a pecking order early on artificially- it might slow the story down before it begins and relationsship pattern will emerge anyway.

How well do the magi know each other?

There are maybe 120 magi (my guess, the number is somewhere, but the exact number is not important) magi in the Rhine tribunal - so there are maybe 10-20 young journeypeople (political corectness sucks :smiley: ) among them.

Artourus is from Stonehenge - he's like the infamous boy from the other form at your school (sorry, my teacher's perspective is shining through :smiley: ), or the new kid in town trying to find new friends?
Rabanus and Hildegard from Durenmar - they must know each other well, since their apprenticeships were parallel. Did they hate, like, bully each other? Play pranks on the covenfolk together? Go to Latin class together?
Honorus is from Fengheld, and a Tremere to boot - you know him (and whose filius he is), but you may not be sure if he's not playing for the other team

these are just some thoughts - not even suggestions - the player characters probably won't need to introduce themselves to the others, but they may not yet be best buddies, but our field trip might help, which is one of the reasons why I sent them on this straightforward little adventure together. What I want to avoid is that we focus on establishing a pecking order early on artificially- it might slow the story down before it begins and relationsship pattern will emerge anyway.

Honorus has been studying at Durenmar for the past two seasons. so Rabanus and Hildegard may know him from that. He is not one to be very social.

After arriving from Stonehenge, Arturous traveled extensively throughout the Rhine. He did apply for membership at some of the convents, but hasn't been accepted at any of them.

we're only doing this once and assume it's always the same. Some players enjoy working out a detailed camp - some don't. Which measures are always taken - some only in winter.
If you are into anything more complicated than one grog watches and a fire, this is your chance to say it. I just don't know if you like tactical details or not. If you do - here is your chance to shine as a tactical genius (Up to you whether you do this in or out of character, or not at all).

JeanMichelle, you might wanna rethink the fatigue cost of travel.
According to the rules book, regaining one level of long-term fatigue requires one night of sleep. That would mean we could only travel for 1 hour a day, which is maybe 3 miles? It would take a whole month to reach Dankmar!

I would say that everyone has one long-term fatigue for the whole trip since we wanna move as fast as possible. Near the end of a day of travel a second level is lost and then regained during the night. So if anything happens while setting up the camp or during the first watch, we´re at -2 levels, else at -1. That would sound realistic and fair to me.
Obviously breaks have to be made inbetween, just tell us how many miles we can make every day or how long the trip is gonna take.

Regarding the camp we definitely need a fire to keep everyone warm. The 3 grogs take alternate watch duty, the magi sleep through. Something like eyes of the cat sounds nice, but since we would have to spont it and no mage can get it done easily without further fatigue, i think we cant afford it.
So to summarize: Im in the "one grog watches and a fire" camp :wink:

Ups, you are right about long-term fatigue, so it is normal fatigue plus one level on longterm acquired for every day (8 hours) of travel.

The trip is about 80 km, with a walking speed of 5 kph that's 16 hours walking time.
Not all of it will be as difficult as the first kilometers away from Durenmar (I assume that there is no major road into to the covenant because it's hidden).
Traveling along the Neckar will be easier, the bit to Alpirsbach tougher, the forest road easier again.
If I'd walk that distance myself (and I've been walking in the black forest), I'd plan three days. I - as a real person - certainly wouldn't survive this trip in winter, but for magi it should be difficult but doable (although someone might lose a few toes without proper spells). And after an hour of walking through a winter forest, you do feel the cold and the distance.

Just a warning...I will be traveling on Wednesday for our Thanksgiving Holiday. I will be at my mothers and there is no guarantee that she will have an Internet connection ( long story 50/50 chance). I will be coming back Sunday.

I will trust the alpha to make any decisions for Honorus to keep the story going if i can not post in that time ( Wed->Sun)