Chapter 1: Master of the House

Once Jacopo leaves, Ilmari turns, observes those remaining, and walks to the table, sitting and helping himself to a bowl of food - one of the actual serving bowls - and begins eating without a word, using a discarded spoon that he wipes on the hem of his shirt. He adds from other bowls on the table, standing and reaching across to help himself, and soon the slurping off his spoon is the dominant sound at the table.

Apple will watch "The Finn" eat for a moment and ask, "I'm Apple. Should I just call you "The Finn"?"

After Jacopo leaves, Korvin will lean back in his chair.

"Now that was interesting. I can see why the Redcaps hate him."

The man from the northern climes looks up, his jaw still working dutifully on a last hefty spoonful of turnips. He swallows, glances down, considering the choices and his options, but returns his attention to his company.

"Ilmari" he says, a name that does not ring familiar, even in the the varied world of Hermetic names. "Retcaps warm me too fors Shakopo. He es likes dog - smells fear,... mmm... makes bark and... for attack."

His Latin is the equivalent of a well-spoken grog, but a bit hesitant at times. He looks to his bowl again, then sets his spoon down and stretches - a large, full stretch unfettered by self-consciousness nor concerns of etiquette.

"I... come thees some years, never meet... see before thees, never talks. Doan like."

He wraps his fist around his spoon again and returns to his meal, but keeps his casual attention divided now between bowl and tablemates.

"You... make visit thees, or come for stay?" he asks - whatever exactly that question was - without waiting to finish that first new mouthful.

"I'm here for a while I think. We have set up a house here and there will be at least one or two Redcaps helping to run it at all times. You are from the north? Norway? Ultima Thule Tribunal?"

(double post)

Ilmari's eyes flashed to Korvin, fixing him for a long moment.

"I make gonnlet at coffnent near Nurmburk, Rhine Tribunol... you retcap? Why you make choose White Lady?... or you no make choose?" his eyes show something between suspicion and doubt, but not quite either, as he shovels another spoonful of food into his mouth.

The cold wind howls down on the little stable, finding every little crack and crevice to seep into. Winds shivers, silently cursing the fact that this covenant is in such a cold climate. Knowing the animals will be OK, even in the chill, she nevertheless walks over to touch the wall. Instantly a warm gush of air seems to blow around the room and then still, making the stables a rather comfy place, if only for the night.

Satisfied, Winds gives her little pony one more pat as she walks over to Nonna by the door. "Oh, pardon me," she says as she emits a large yawn. "It was a long journey here, and I could use some rest. Would you care to walk with me back to the main house? We should find out when this supposed meeting is tonight, and where. Maybe I can get a little nap in before hand." Winds opens the large squeaky door once more. A breeze gushes in through the doorway, but it is a warm breeze the moment it gets inside.

(Warming the Winter's Chill CrIg15 (Cr 13 + Ig 0 + Sta 2 + Aura 4 - Silent 5 - No Gestures 0 + Die Roll 20 = 34))
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1918791/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1918792/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1918793/

"I am Korvin ex Mercere. I am a mage of my house but I do help my brothers and sister when ever I can."

"And to answer you question, another choose the White Lady for me. I find it odd, given Jacopo and the condition of the covenant. I do not think it was at random."

"Certainly, dear," Francisca says, and hobbles behind. Her face lights up with a toothless smile at the warm breeze. "That's a nice trick! Though it is a little rude to the wind, isn't it? You should probably ask permission, hm?" She chuckles. "Don't mind us, little breeze! We'll be out of you soon, and then you can blow how you want."

Apple listens quietly, raising his eyebrows at Korvin's information about the establishment of the Redcap post.

He responds to Ilmari's questions about whether he was visiting or staying. "I had originally planned on being here for a long visit. Now, I think I'll stay."

Apple looks back to Ilmari and motions around the hall. "Do you stay here in the mannor or do you keep one of those buildings that are put up all over the place?"

Winds blinks at the old woman, and her talk of 'asking the wind's permission.' Rallying, she replies, "But the wind always blows cold here. Don't you think it would want a bit of change now and again?"

"It probably sees you as blowing warm all the time, and wants to give you a little change. It's a nice sort of breeze - it kept me company, you know, when I was walking." She chuckles. "But of course, I don't mind what temperature it blows, dear. I've got my coats."

Ilmari's ice-blue eyes flash to the speaker, and he gestures up high over his shoulder with his spoon hand.

"I haff sanktoom on hillzide. Haff sanktoom markure."

There are more than a couple stone buildings - or the ruins of them - varying in size from small to smaller, working their way up the southern side of the valley wall, under the shoulder of a wall of ice that seems that it must live there year round, beneath the north face of the peaks. Which one might be his - or might even be suitable (not to mention acceptable) for a sanctum - is unclear.

"Why you make to go here to White Laydy?"

His gaze now shifts back and forth between Apple and Korvin, waiting for either to answer the questions posed.

(Edited to clarify compass directions - it's a north slope of the mountain, the south wall of the valley.)

Apple picks up the nearest wine bottle, and after he hefts it to make sure it's full, refills his glass, Korvin's glass, and pours a glass for Ilmari.

"I actually wrote Jacopo and asked if I could come. I had heard about the White Lady from my Parens and it seemed like a good challenge. I like a good challenge."

Winds smiles as the old woman talks about the wind. "A wind kept me company on my journey here as well. I always feel there is a bit of it with me." With that she enters into the manor house, making her way up to the rooms given to her for the time being. "My wind and I like to race though. Over the hills and across the plains we run, with no real destination, just running. That is why I..."

Winds' voice trails off as she opens the door to her quarters to find the contents of her bags strewn about the floor. "My papers!" She rushes into the room and down onto her knees, carefully gathering up the loose sheets of vellum and small booklets. As she works, her expression turns from distraught to angry, and she begins to curse vehemently in German, periodicaly throwing in a foul word or phrase in Latin as well. When she finally picks up the last bit of text on the floor, she takes them over to the bed to lay them down delicately as another sheet of paper, folded and left on the bed, catches her eye. Curious, she reaches over and opens the note, reading it with a growing frown on her face.

The first full meeting of the council will be in the hotspring, at the stroke of midnight. Ensure you are not late. Dress warmly, and be prepared.
-J.

Disgusted, Winds hands the note over for Nonna to read. "Well, at least we know when the meeting is. Now we just have to find the hot springs." Winds starts sorting through the pile of books and papers she has, checking to make sure everything is present and undamaged. "What an arrogant hog! I wish there was something I could do about him."

"When we arrived, we were told to pick out a building that was uninhabited so we explored quite a few." (turning to Ilmari) "One of those buildings you spoke of hides the entrance to a cave. We only explored a little into it because it was unsuitable for us. "

"I had been at Harco for seven years after my gauntlet. My eighth year I was able to travel as a Redcap and was able to see more Covenants. So I asked if I could join another. (pause...in a lower voice) When a Mercere is gifted they have certain duties to the house. I could not set out on my own.

The senior Redcap for this Tribunal found told me she had worked out a deal to place me at the White Lady. That is why I'm here."

Ilmari takes the glass as the others speak - he lifts to drink, then pauses, and toasts - an awkward gesture, as if he was not completely accustomed to it, then drinks a great draught, draining half at least and smacking his lips after.

"Shakopo... he es type to haff assident on mountain..." he says, a growl in his voice, his eyes narrowing again in displeasure, tho' with exactly what this time is unclear.

In response to Korvin, he frowns a bit -

"Es much cafes... Ilmari sanktoom haff cafe... Ilmari haff sanktoom markure..."

He takes another drink, not as deep as the first, but again doing serious damage to the goblet of wine. He sets the container down heavily, and heaves himself up onto his feet, and delivers his next words in a loud voice, as if addressing an audience.

"Hermedic Cote say eash magje get sanktoom - es... bereeperal cote... you no go to Ilmari sanktoom, or we haff weezart war."

He lets that sink in, looking down at the two others, and then sits again. He pushes away the bowl in front of him, and huffs a bit, staring at the spot where it had been. and chewing on his beard.

"But if you no go, dzen maybe... no war. Ilmari wahs new once - I no deprife of mashik, like Shakopo play. Only for... chust coss."

He nods in self-approval at these last words, and tips his goblet again, and drains it dry in one last swig, letting goa a sigh that is interupted midway by a small belch, that he, now perhaps predictably, completely ignores.

Apple nods his head. "I'll be sure to watch for your sanctum marker then. No point in having a war with someone I just met. Though I suppose around White Lady, that might be against the norm."

Apple refills glasses, getting up to find a new bottle after refilling Ilmari's. "What about Cato? He seems...interesting. What do you know about him?"

Jonathan slips into the servant area and finds Rosa. He tells her to meet him in ten minutes by the front gate, and he will take her up to lookout point for their night time picnic. Then he goes to his room to change clothes. Gravy stain...

Then he sees the note. Council meeting tonight at midnight. How the heck is he supposed to know when midnight is? Sun-dials don't work at night. Do we have a water clock? Can't wear a waterclock on your wrist...
Maybe sponting some Intellego Vim magic to divine the astrological hour. Maybe, bbut that is difficult. Hmm..., dinner was at around seven-seventhirty. So he figures he has at least 4 hours. It is a 45 minute hike up to lookout point and 45 minutes back.

Yeah, that is plenty of time. Play it by ear and hope for the best. Get your priorities straight. Treating women with respect comes first.