Chapter 1-The First Council

I may have found some vis resources, but they will require some investigation. First, during my stay at Laach Abbey, I wandered around the lake there on several occasions. In late fall, I discovered three perfectly round pumice stones on the south eastern shore. A quick spell revealed that the stones contained Terram vis. I have not been able to return to the lake to look for more stones, but I do have my notes on the discovery, which I submit to the library. Aedituus pulls a parchment from his sleeve, and lays it on the table. I have also included in the notes some details about the ghosts in the area. I studied them at intervals during the construction process, and found that their manifestation changed according to the season and moon phase. Last year, during the dark of the moon in summer, I was able to collect Mentem vis from shreds the ghosts left snagged on the bushes as they passed. Unfortunately, the shreds and vis evaporated when exposed to sunlight, and I have not seen the remains since then. Perhaps, according to their cycle, the ghosts are only strong enough to leave the shreds in the summer.

I also have some details about another source which may be nearby, but have not yet found the source itself. I will let you know when I have either discovered it or have reached a dead-end in the researches.

Finally, I found a letter from a Hermit tucked into a book I was copying at Laach Abbey. The letter contained mundane news, but also seemed to indicate the existence of a book on ghosts. This would not have been remarkable, except that the Hermit wrote a description of the man, who having fallen to the predations of robbers on the road and died at the hermitage, left the book and some other belongings. The Hermit's description included indications that the man may have been a magus. I should like to travel to this Hermtiage later this summer to investigate.

"My husband and I have heard of a possible Corpus vis source, it's rather significant in size, but when he investigated the rumor, it had already decayed. It ripens in the Winter, and we only visited it last summer. My husband has brought two tomes that you can read immediately. His pater's magnum opus on controlling spells with precision, and he has managed to locate the commentaries written on the text, but they are in Greek. My husband hopes to develop his Latin and translate the commentaries. He hasn't read the commentaries, but he has read the original work of his pater's in the original Ancient Greek. Additionally, we have located and secured a quarry for stone suitable to my husband's art. We have secured several slabs, already and they are presently at our home, just outside my husband's studio. And we have several lab texts in Latin that my husband secured and brought with us."

"I'vebeen meaning to create a spell to see vis - to make such searches easier. Perhaps that would be a good place to test it out?"

After a bit of whispering, "Praxiteles seems to think that it would be a good idea, generally. He thinks, however, that the vis decays rather rapidly, like an exposed corpse might, so harvesting it at the right time is paramount. And then, of course, it must be transferred to a suitable vessel so it doesn't continue to decay. He thinks the optimal harvest time would coincide with the Winter solstice. Do you expect to have the spell invented by that time? Praxiteles could help with it, if you wish.

"I do not know if we have a lab text for Gather Essence of the Beast, but I can probably invent the spell in a season. This will be something I will want to learn in any case, since this will be useful to me for managing the Rego source. The nest that I retrieved was quite bulky, although I was later able to transfer the vis to a smaller item in the lab."

"In any case," Petronius continues, "We may have to study each of our vis sources in order to learn their peculiarities and how to best harvest them. This is somewhat beyond what a simple spell can do, but I think that a reasonable investment of time should be spent on such endeavors. If each of us take charge of one or two sources, this should not be too much of a burden, don't you think?"

((Gather Essence of the Beast is only necessary in cases where vis must be concentrated within a being of might to collect the vis contained within it. Moving vis to receptacles is a lab activity (distraction, really) detailed on page 94 of the MRB))

"From what my cousin and Praxiteles have told me, that would probably be unnecessary for this particular vis source." Alips responds to this without any consultation from Praxiteles, after she says this she whispers in his ear and then he nods his head in vigorous agreement while looking at the magi.

((I know, but sometimes concentrating the vis helps, when the source decays quickly. Which is why I mentioned simply studying each source is necessary to determine exactly what is required. In some instances, no spell will be required. In others, GEotB will be useful. For a few, a more powerful spell like Divide the Gathered Essence (TMRE p.40) may be necessary, as it performs the equivalent of a lab vis transfer instantaneously and on-site. Still seemed like a good thing to mention GEotB in-character. :wink: ))

"If it is decided to be a priority, I can certainly have the spell ready by the Winter Solstice. Indeed if I am delayed somehow, I believe I should be able to cast is spontaneously if need be - though I'd obviously prefer to invent the spell for safety.. As for the spell of Gathering the Essence of the BEast, my mater taught me that one a few years ago, as part of a project she was working on. I believe I even brought a labtext." Looking a suddently very young and a bit shy Titus continues "... Vim magics are something of an interest of mine ..."

Petronius nods enthusiastically, "Such a spell would certainly be helpful in discovering new sources. So you were thinking of extending Sense the Nature of Vis by making it based on vision? Or were you looking at a more unusual..." Looking up at Aedituus and Praxiteles (with Alips trying to keep up with the quick sentences), Petronius reins himself a bit, before adding, "But I guess that is a bit besides the point. Well, where were we? Ah, yes, resources. Hmmm, let me think."

"What's happening regarding our sources of income? Grogs and servants? I'll freely admit that I did not keep updated on those. Aside from recruiting Eberhard to serve as a scribe and librarian, and securing some silver, I know little of our situation."

((Assuming Praxiteles and Alips have done this since they are in Koblenz... And I'm handwaving the how they were induced to work for the covenant, a bit. We can leave it to those characters to define their engagement.))

"Praxiteles and I have found a wine merchant in need of a bank roll, and there is a cooper who could make barrels for our merchant and other vineyards. Both individuals are here to be interviewed by the full council, should that be desired. And of course, my husband will sell some of his work as a means of generating income for the covenant, too."

((I had assumed that they were already set up as the covenant's sources of income at saga start, particularly the wine merchanting business. The cooperage would still be ramping up, requiring further work before it reaches its full potential. But both companions would be active and attached to the covenant, though working at a distance. I'm simply looking to see how their relationship to the covenant would be modulated, and who their primary contact is. I've assumed either Aedituus or Praxiteles, since they are the ones with a Gentle Gift.))

((Praxiteles has proximity on his side, and speaks German/French pretty well.
I was assuming that they were more or less setup, but were waiting for an introduction to the full council, so they would know who their benefactors are, so to speak.))

((Works for me. I just didn't want to force you into being the primary contact for all of the income-generating companions, while at the same time distancing my magus from my companion.))

I think it would be a good idea, Aedituus interrupts, for us to make sure we understand the state of our vis stores before we move on to the monetary issues. He rubs his nose, and consults the notes he has made.

It appears that we have sources for Rego and Vim. He nods to Petronius. I have Terram, Mentem, and another, possiby Imagimen. Praxiteles mentioned a Corpus source. Have we anything in the stores, or are these just potentialities at the moment? May I suggest that we each spend some time this year on the tasks of harvesting these sources, as part of our standard duties? Aedituus pauses, more to let the suggestion sink in, and suddenly realizes that he just sounded quite a bit like the old Abbot. He smiles briefly at the thought, and continues, I know we are also hoping for or expecting additional texts to add to our library. We should probably present these to the council as they arrive. For this meeting, I propose that we briefly interview the cooper and the wine merchant, so that we may better understand the state of our current financial resources, then discuss our activities for the Spring. He smiles again, and decides to temper the Abbot-voice, Unless you think a different agenda might be in order?

((Let's say we have stocks equal to half the total of all of our sources, with the exception of enough Vis of whatever desired type to cast the Aegis around the main site?))

"For my part, I deposited 1 pawn of Rego vis from the nest, as well as 4 pawns of Vim vis from the rose bushes at the secondary site." Petronius tick these off on his fingers as he enumerates them. "I also advised the grogs living at the secondary site to leave the rose bushes alone," he smiles, "we wouldn't want them chopping them off."

The wain slowly makes its way along the old Roman road, its axles creaking occasionally. Sitting beside the teamster is a young woman, while a thickly built older man sits on top of a barrel in the back, amongst more supplies packed in crates, barrels and bags.

Scratching the scar on his hooked nose, the man asks with a deep raucous voice, "Are you sure this is the right path?"

The driver assures him, for the third time, that it is indeed the right path. Soon, the wain and its passengers leave the main road to take a smaller path into the forest.

((Time to find a voice for Gregor, and possibly Amelie as well. Archimedes, if you'd rather introduce Amelie differently, the woman can be one of the servants instead, coming back from Koblenz.))

"Good, so we have Vis sources and even a bit of stocks. Excellent news!
We even have something of a library, though I have yet to become fully familiar with it - I'm planning to spend a season on creating a catalogue at some point, if there are no objections, to help us find misplaced books and the like.
Now ofcourse, there is the matter of covenant services? Do we have a system such as this? How many, how often? And are they to be somehow tied to Vis distribution?
I mean, surely these are thngs we must decide as well, wealth is worthless if not spend, and surely we all recognze that hoarding wealth is sinful?"

"Is our library so large that we will already need such an index? I am not against it, but I wonder whether we really need one." Petronius shrugs, "After all, I think we have only about two-score books, plus a small collection of lab texts. In any case, creating the index and tracking where the books are would be the librarian's responsibility. Although Eberhard is young, I think he can manage that."

"As for covenant services," the bony magus pauses, "I must admit that it's been a while since I've looked at the details of what we'd agreed upon." Petronius rises and fetches the covenant's charter from one of the armarii, which he then unrolls on the table. Quickly reading through it to locate the relevant section, he summarizes it the the other magi.

"Looks like we should each perform a season of work at least once every seven years, and that some remuneration would be in order, based on the risk and gain to the covenant. Minimum would be two pawns of vis, but can be higher if our disceptator judge it to be more important or risky. It remains the Council's responsibility to determine what constitutes covenant service."

Raising his head from the charter, Petronius smiles at his sodales, "So, what is it that we think needs to be done, and who would like to do it?" Before anyone can answer, though, his smile disappears and he adds, "Though we don't have any significant vis reserve from which to pay for such services." With a small upward brushing off gesture, he concludes, "Not much point speaking of sinful hoarding, when we don't have any hoard at all."

"Which brings the question of what would constitute reasonable vis stores for each Art. This is one of those things, after the harvesting of vis and spending some for covenant needs, that will have to be decided before we can distribute any vis to ourselves. Personally, I think that a rook of vis in each Art would be a good start."

Praxiteles shakes his head vigorously as Alips is explaining things to him."No, no." He then gets rather animated and speaks to Alips who translates the following.
"The council should approve covenant service, not the disceptator. My husband doesn't have an object to the disceptator having an extra vote, but the determining what qualifies as covenant service must be the decision of the council as a whole, not an individual. We should probably do at least 2 seasons every 7 years, though. And service can also be accrued to be used for future periods, if the council agrees."