Chapter 1-The First Council

Petronius reacts with surprise at Praxiteles' comments, "I don't understand, that is mostly what the Charter says already." He points to the relevant article in the Charter, "It is the Council's responsibility to approve covenant service, determining what qualifies or not. The disceptator simply has final word on what the payment is for that service. The amount of vis would probably be determined before the service is performed, so it may simply mean negociating with the member how that vis is to be paid."

"As for requiring more services from members, well," he frowns, "We've each spent so much time creating the covenant that I was hoping we could spend more time on our own projects. How much work remains to be done for the covenant? Plus, there is nothing to prevent a member from performing more service, in exchange for appropriate payment."

"Accruing services for future periods is a possibility, but I think it should be limited in some way. Firstly because, let's be honest, we cannot foresee what our needs will be seven years from now. Secondly, I think that having members that offer continuing contribution to the covenant is important to build ourselves as a community. I would be uncomfortable to see a member spend two years of service now, and then totally disengage from services for decades. Finally, as our capabilities increase, what our services can provide to the covenant will increase as well."

Alips doesn't translate all of what Petronius is saying, and then speaks for her husband, "Praxiteles thinks that the council should determine the worth of any covenant service. That the disceptator should only be responsible for dispensing the vis and determining how and when that happens, not how much. Praxiteles doesn't want the...responsibility of pricing service when his position as disceptator would come, and doesn't wish that responsibility on any one individual." After she says it in Latin, she says it again in Greek, and Praxiteles nods his head vigorously.

((Note that Alips' stats still don't show Greek on the wiki, so you may want to fix that.))

"I am not opposed to that amendment, so that the Council would determine the value of specific services, and that the disceptator would determine when and how the price is to be paid."

((I would assume that discussion of this specific item could have taken place years before, so I can just update the Charter to show this, if everyone agrees.))

((Any comment on the proposition that a rook of vis in each Art (individually) be considered reasonable stores for the covenant?))

((Re Alips: I will. Worry not. I prefer her knowing Greek for a lot of reasons...))

((Re Vis Stores: As long as it is an Art that we have a source for. Otherwise, we're going to be building stores for a long time to bring the other Arts up to level.))

((Could be lower for Arts we don't have a source on, but on the other hand this is just the treshold before the covenant distributes vis from that Art for personal use of the magi. So yes, it could be a while before we reach it. And the covenant's needs would always come first. But that's the point, isn't it? Distribute vis that the covenant won't need, but keep a little in each Art to be able to cover unforeseen needs.

((Nothing prevents individual magi, or the covenant itself, from trading vis if they have specific needs not covered by the covenant's sources.))

Given our current sources, I worry that it will take several years to accumulate a rook of vis in the available flavors, and many more years for the arts for which we do not have available sources. However, it would be beneficial to have sufficient stores in case of "emergencies". Aedituus scratches his nose. Perhaps we might say that stores should include two-years worth of vis from available sources or 4 pawns in each art, whichever is greater? If we have sufficient stores in a particular art, then we can have a surplus in that art from which to grant requests. According to the charter, payment for services is granted before determining surplus, and half the surplus should be added to the stores.

(( I am okay with revising the charter so that the Council decides payment.))

((Are we using the vis exchange rates and House Mercere as bankers, as outlined in HoH:TL?))

How about a provision for stating that if stores of Vis that are not our sources fall below a certain level, like 10, that distributions are cut by some amount (half?) until that store is returned to the higher level. And the disceptator has the right to trade vis income on hand for specific vis, if using that particular Art of vis would drop us below the minimum level? Am I being clear? I'm a bit sleep deprived, we had an ER trip last night for my daughter when her temp spiked above 104.

The Charter doesn't really set a "minimum" level to keep in stores.

Here's what it says right now:

So basically, at each Winter meeting, we will decide what to distribute. Petronius is simply saying that in most Arts, "sufficient stores to cover most emergencies" would be about 10 pawns. Anything above that would get distributed amongst members. Below that 10 pawns in stores, half of the vis acquired during the year would get distributed while the other half would be put into stores (all after covenant expenses are taken into account).

Let's take an example. Say we have no Herbam in stores. We acquire 10 pawns of Herbam (say from a visiting magus who pays to use a lab). We use 2 pawns to enchant an item during the year. At the Winter meeting, we keep half in stores (4 pawns) and distribute the remaining to members (4 pawns).

A couple of years later, our stores of Herbam are now at 10 pawns. We acquire 6 more pawns over the year. At the Winter meeting, since we already had 10 pawns in stores, we decide to distribute all 6 pawns amongst members.

Does that make sense?

((Yes!))

Hmmm. Aedituus pauses, drumming his fingers over his tonsure while he re-reads the Charter. As I consider the meaning of the clause about vis, I begin to wonder if the Guericus who conceived this language in the first place might have been angling for job security. He smiles, looking around at the rest of the Council. One might interpret the clause as saying that any vis belonging to the covenant during the year should first be used as payment for debts and obligations. Any left over vis should be divided amongst the members, but with half going to Covenant Stores if we do not yet have a sufficient quantity, as determined by the Council.

He pauses, his finger tracing over the relevant text again. Yes. Quite. But, since such allocations are made at the Winter meeting, we have some time yet before having to worry about that. In the meantime, we have the wine merchant and the cooper to meet, and decisions to be made about service, if needed. We also need to see about casting an Aegis soon. I suggest we talk to our mundane friends first, and see about service afterward.

Aedituus walks to the door, and asks Laurent to invite Amelie and Gregor in.

After a few minutes, Aedituus walks back, followed by a man and a woman.

The man is slightly taller than average, but has a barrel chest and thick arms. His black hair is worn long and slightly sprinkled with grey, and he wears a thin beard. His hooked nose has a noticeable scar, which does not detract from his solid and imposing presence. His heavily callused hands bear the numerous small scars and he walks with a pronounced limp. He is dressed with clean clothing of a craftman, and holds a cap in his hands. His dark eyes are a bit uncertains as he surveys the magi, but he bobs his head in greeting. "Mein Herren." His greetings is spoken softly, but in a rumbling voice that fits his rugged appearance.

(Moving things along. I assume Aedituus asks Gregor to provide a status of the cooperage business.)

The big man answers in German, with a thick Swabian accent. As needed, Petronius translates to Aedituus. "My name is Gregor, mein lords. I am a Master Cooper recognized by the Koblenz Coopers' Guild. With you money, I managed to build a good cooperage workshop that specializes in quality wine barrels, selling to the many wine makers along the Mosel river. Two more smaller cooperage shopd I have also purchased and oversee. One sells avariety of wares on the local market, for taverns, fishermen and townsfolk. The second is active in the docking district and makes sturdy barrels for merchant and shippers along the Rhine."

"Together, these can provide good silver, as your man Ulric was able to see," the rumbling voice pauses as Gregor nods, "I will work to improve business in general. There is more possibility of this in the market of wine barrels. His Excellency," he nods respectfully to Aedituus, "has told me that I would be allowed to cut some oak from the forest. That is good. It makes barrel less expensive to make, and mean I can choose better woods for the barrels. More suitable to each customer."

At this point, Gregor waits for further questions from the masters of Laurus Argenti.

((Gregor's presentation was in a halting and heavily-accented French, as he knew that Aedituus understands that language a little and German not at all. He assumed that the others also understood French.))

((Note that at this point, none of the magi are aware that Gregor is a magical craftsman.))

Seeing Titus' blinking uncomprehension, Petronius quickly translates the main points to Latin. He missed some of the finer details, not being really fluent in French himself, but the general points get through. Actually, Aedituus now understands a bit more than he initially did.

(in latin) "So this man is responsible fora certain amount of our silver in the future, yes? And he'd like to cut a bit of oak in the forests? Could I just suggest a certain amount of Intelligo Vim used before he cuts? For both his sake and ours? Wouldn't want him cutting down a vis source or similar, nor have him cursed by some forest spirit."

Petronius nods, "Indeed, that may not be a bad idea. Although," he send an interrogative look at Aedituus, "aren't there large portions of the forest with absolutely no supernatural aura? I seem to remember that there was no significant aura in most of it."

Turning back to Titus, "Still, I agree that we should probably have someone verify such things before our friend here," he nods towards the cooper, "cuts down any tree. We need someone to take care of this duty, to at least mark those trees he is allowed to cut. From his accent, I believe the man's native language is Swabian, so many of us should have no problem communicating with him." Shaking his head, he adds, "Although Intellego Vim is not a specialty of mine, and spontaneous casting would be a slow and blatant exercice for me, so someone else might be better suited to this task." Petronius smiles, "Until I can add a few formulaic spells to my repertoire, at least."

"I have some skill at Vim and even a bit of training in Intelligo - I don't mind looking at a few trees, especially if there might be a chance of an interesting aura or even a regio nearby. And ofcourse there are large parts of the forest that are of no special interest, but still worth checking I believe?"

"We are agreed, then?" Petronius looks at the other two magi for approval, then switches to German for Gregor's benefit. "Yes, you will be allowed to harvest some of the oak in the forest. But one of us will accompany you to identify which trees that are to be cut. Only those trees wil you be allowed to take, and none other. Understand that this is for your safety, as there are ghosts in this forest that could be distrubed if you cut the wrong ones."

Gregor nods vigorously at this, answering in the same language. "Ja, mein herr, I understand. I will come here when I need more oak, and I will only cut trees you allow me to."

"Very well," says Petronius, "you can ask for Titus here," he points to the diminutive Bonisagus, "or for myself, Petronius." Switching back to Latin, he asks the other magi, "Do we have other questions? For myself I have none."

Alips translates for Praxiteles, who then responds in German "Or see me in Koblenz if there's anything I can do for you in the city. I can't help with the trees, but my wife and I can help in other ways."
Alips explains to the magi in Latin, "He's just saying that if he needs assistance to not forget that we live in the city."

((We seem to be using the same colour for Alips and Gregor. I am shifting Gregor over to 8080FF.))

Gregor nods his head to Praxiteles, "Thank you, mein herr. And if you need some special barrels for your own use, let me know and I'll be happy to make them to your specifications."

Thank you, Herr Gregor. Have you yet met Amelie, the wine merchant? I believe the two of you arrived here about the same time. She may have additional customers for your barrels.

Once Gregor leaves, Aedituus turns to Titus. Sodalis, perhaps we can explore the wood together some time? I too have some skill at Intellego and Vim magic, and would welcome the conversation. He scratches his tonsure, thinking. We should determine a mark we might leave on the trees that Gregor may cut. This way we can explore the area at our leisure, and leave him to the harvest at a later time.

After he leaves the council room, Gregor goes to supervise the offloading of the supplies, chats up with the grogs and covenfolk (some of whom he already knows) and in general looks at the site to see how his new business partners live.