Chapter 11 where Thadeus gathers a party to return to Wicker Hill (End of Spring 1014)

OK, so we have

• Thadeus
  • Hamish
  • Jack, Iago, Telsa, and Sasso
  • Plus three shield grogs, said Hamish. Do you really want to leave the defence to only three shield grogs @Bartomeus ? (Yeah, I know, there is Janus, but did you arrange with him?)
  • Flying in later: Cath'rinne and Thom

Anybody else? Odard, @dc444 ?
Janus offered with reservations, extra grogs were suggested, but six is not a lot to keep Ungulus secure.

Cath'rinne murmurs to Thom.

"Or you can see the upside. How often do you travel with a gifted lady who intends to leave her clothes behind?"

"Not often with one as beautif... I mean gifted as you, Lady Cath'rinne," answers Thom with a smile and a flirtatious chuckle.

1 Like

OOC: I was counting it as taking 1 of the Ungulus Originals + the 5 named members of the Turb has you listed. That leaves behind 5 Ungulus Originals + 4 Rangers. On second thought, I think we take 2 Ungulus Originals and leave Jack behind since Hamish is trying to develop him as a Serjeant candidate.

Northern Troops: Hamish, Telsa, Sasso, Iago, Ungulus Original 1 and 2. Hamish will choose two who are most likely to know the Ungulus soldiers and grogs who we'll be trying to re-recruit back to Ungulus. If Janus @John_Graham_52 feels like we should leave more one to protect the Towers, we'll take just one of the Ungulus Originals.

Nauvi will agree to come. While he remembers how difficult the last trip was, he appreciates the need for Gently Gifted help.

1 Like

As Janus is at the Covenant he is happy for you to take as many as you like. He will deal with any attack himself.

Then I have noted

• Thadeus
  • Nauvi
  • Hamish
  • Iago, Telsa, and Sasso
  • Plus two standard soldiers

Did you decide about carts? It will slow you down by a factor of two, more if you are unlucky with the weather. How many donkeys? How many carts?

Plus Finn

Sorry.
Then I have noted

• Thadeus
  • Nauvi
  • Hamish
  • Finn
  • Iago, Telsa, and Sasso
  • Plus two standard soldiers

Did you decide about carts? It will slow you down by a factor of two, more if you are unlucky with the weather. How many donkeys? How many carts?

How much equipment was there in the lab that was both too large for pack animals and specialized enough to be worth transporting?

If the only things too large for pack animals are tables and easily replaceable equipment, then we will only take pack animals.

If on the other hand, there are things like a large armillary sphere, then perhaps it is worth bringing some carts along.

You do not need a cart for anything in the lab. The big furniture is a simple piece of carpentry, or fixtures which would not want to be removed anyway, like the enchanted stairway. I would guess three donkeys to carry the tools and glassware for a standard Hermetic lab, which is what there is, plus maybe three for food and fodder if you do not want to be slowed down by foraging and grazing.

So donkeys it will be. :slight_smile:

You set off almost three weeks before midsummer. How much provisions do you bring? One week? Two? Three? Four?

It takes you about a little more than two days to Carlisle. If you press on, you can get there in two days and get lodging in the city. If you want to go around the city, you would camp before it, and take a total of five days to Dumfries. What do you prefer?

“Having been in to Carlisle I would recommend avoiding it with this much food. People are starving and may try to steal it. I suggest camping someway outside and the bypassing it completely” suggests Finn

"I agree that we should camp away from the town," says Thadeus. "But we should consider sending someone there to see how things are. Early crops should be starting to come in, so perhaps things will have gotten better. But even the countryside around town may be dangerous, if starving people have turned to banditry to find food."

Please tell me how much you stock up in terms of provisions. The first two days are uneventful, even if you stop why Whitehaven and Workington, nothing has changed since Finn's previous visit. You can make camp a few miles Southwest of Carlisle, in the woods before you get into the farmland. Is that what you want? What do you do next?

We bring as much food as we can, for a trip of three or four weeks, taking into account that we may be travelling back with a party twice as large as we depart with.

Sounds like a good place to camp and send out Finn to check out things in town. Thadeus and perhaps a few of the others as well. Anyone interested?

All Most of the grogs will stay with the camp to defend against possible robbers.

Packing the donkeys to the limit, the food should last you 3-4 weeks, with enough fodder to keep the donkeys going without delays. If you want to cater for extra people on the return, you may have to cover less distance to let the donkeys graze. And there are not that many donkeys to spare at Ungulus.

You go into Carlisle in the evening? It is a bit more crowded than Finn remembers it. A couple of beggars are fighting over the best corner at high street, completely neglecting you as you pass by. In front of the cathedral there is a handful of people congregating at the stairs, while a priest tries to convince them that «the friar's box is empty now. Yes, the miracle is true, it saved many people early in Spring, but now it is over. You have to go and live off the land ... no, I do not know where the friar went.»

"I'm happy to watch over Finn in case trouble sets in," says Hamish. "Telsa and Sasso and Iago can keep the camp safe."

Nauvi will go and ask the priest about the "Friar's box" and what occurred. He is interested in finding out how long the miraculous effect lasted for.