Chapter 12 - Light of Burning Bronze

Hi,

All of the above is OOC. The drakes' actions, reactions and apparent demeanor are as described.

Maurice and Venkath do not immediately take theirs but watch Simon, who sniffs his token very carefully for maybe 30 seconds before taking it in his jaws and swallowing it. "Safe. But not yum yum," he says, dejected.

Maurice and Venkath accept their tokens.

Maurice says in a stage whisper to Venkath, "Now that's going to go over well."

Venkath bristles.

Maurice whispers again, audibly enough to be overheard yet quiet enough that the comment can honorably be ignored, "I'm sure the Ifrit will be happy to hear this."

"That explains why she's still alive after antagonizing everyone else."

As Maurice starts to whisper something else, Venkath says to him, "Enough." But there is no anger in his voice, which holds what for him passes as good humor.

Anyway,

Ken

Sigmundo and the drakes enter the gates of the keep; most of the rest of the magi are there to meet them, there are guards lines up all around making an impressive show of pomp & circumstance (and ready to act in a moment’s notice if need be).

Rodrigo mentions that we have two days still until the appointed time of the exchange.
Well, then, I propose we get an early start and go to the island of Pantelleria. Lovely place, plenty of sun, hot springs, volcanic activity, and the mortal cuisine is most excellent.

Then you notoce Antonio eyeing the dragon, and Sigmundo eyes him back. For a moment, it appears as if they are sizing each other up in case of conflict. That is in fact what they are doing, but there is no imminent conflict coming. They respect each other’s power, and recognize the certainty of mutually assured destruction if they came to blows with each other.
Greetings Antonio. We meet again, only this time it is I who am the visitor. I was informed that your daughter was in danger, and I quickly came to see how I may assist.

Rather than become further entangled in the nuances of protocol, Vares tolerates Sigmund's flourishes--and is somewhat intrigued by the apparent variability in the Dragon's equivalent of a 'sigil', if that is what the effect accompanying the blessing might be.

Whatever he might ask is superceded by Ameline's declaration about dealing fairly and honestly. "There are signs that Khyrom is most wary of those certain in their Divine 'Faith'. Would you prefer a direct, honest assault without any attempt to gain an element of surprise? We could wield all our Power in an attempt to smash Khyrom's bastion to cinders and dispatch any Efreet or their servants we meet and you can pray that we'll get to Carmen before she is slain in turn. Or maybe you think Honour and Faith could be satisfied in a single duel with Khyrom? Or do you simply believe that proselytising will win his conversion and repentence?" Vares is... annoyed. After expending 14 pawns of Vis on a counterfeit 'ransom' with which he was not entirely pleased himself, to have Ameline declare it as 'the Devil's work' irks the Flambeau considerably.

He doesn't, however, disagree completely. "Ameline, your Faith IS an asset in this endeavour. Many are the tales that speak of outwitting the Efreet; few have ever been able to stand against the mightest wielding strength alone. What wisdom do you offer as a basis of strategy instead?"

"And you are sure that this undead Jew of yours will step in and save you, or remove you to Paradise? If we take that course: I'll offer you a wager: If God visibly intervenes for you, I will go to confession and spend a season (within the next 7 years) to read St. Augustine. If he doesn't, you will leave me all your belongings, and harvesting rights. You won't need them anyway if you fail, and giving is charitable."

Looking at the others:
"Shouldn't we ask Inigo for some tons of water, transformed into something inauspicious? Think of the mayhem, the distraction and the special effects. Think of those Holy woods stories that retired grog sergeant is always telling: No good story without complete obliteration of the setting."

She looks at the others with faux innocence.

"as for cheating with fake vis. We are just bringing a present, as any good guest would. Okay, we couldn't fulfill our host's wishes, but it would be very impolite of him to point out that our gift doesn't meet his expectations."

ps:ladyP, I don't hate you, I am just trying to be a descendant of the house that treated St. N. so poorly.
one day, Marie will find the shallow grave she deserves and I' ll replace her with a meek Jerbiton.

As wagers go, this is perhaps one of the best she could ever ask for. She has few possessions other than some lab texts in holy magic. She doesn't even have lab and lab equipment yet. Doing good for a person's soul in return for almost nothing normally would everything but the gesture is not quite so obvious. Gambling is a sin. "While I can never refuse any test of faith. I believe in god and that God will support us that I would risk everything that I have and freely do. I also have nothing but my faith in God. Going to confession is meaningless unless you are truly repentant and doing it on a bet is not showing you are repent that you are wagering nothing for nothing. I am wagering my life and soul in my words and actions. Should I die, I have no say what happens to what I have anyways. I am placing my life and faith on the line to engage the Efreet while you rescue Carmen. Let us have faith in God. However I will do this, if I die as result of my actions on this mission, what little I have is yours in hope that it inspires faith in you."

Look at Vares, "You need merely to find Carmen and leave. No massive destruction, no open duels, no fake ransoms in hoping that he doesn't see through it. Should he see through the fake ransom, he might just order her death in retaliation and more, might attack you all out for a major battle like a frontal assault and then you die and go to hell for the lies and deceptions. He is wary of those faith, then let one of faith confront him, engage in word, in trial of faith and the rest of you rescue carmen. If I succeed, I will leave with you. If I fail, I might be left behind. My faith is in God. 'The Lord is my shephard, I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presense of mine enemies; thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.'"

OOC and I am of Nerius's order enough that I refuse to make God and souls issues of gambling/certamen and so on. Everything I have is useless to you unless you have holy magic.

"I have no intention of visiting nor staying in your 'Hell', nor do I aspire to your notion of 'Paradise'," Vares states coolly to Ameline. "If death is imminent, I would sooner throw myself into Twilight that my soul might find its way back through Transmigration to try again and again than to accept slavery to some fragment of the Divine Essence. I am not Abd Allah nor Abd Jaweh and I do not care for the lie that it is 'Holy' to murder another who does not belong to the exact same sect of Divine worship. Look to the 'purity' of your own Church before condemning those who will not be slave to its doctrine, Ameline"

Taking a deep breath he continues with, "Your Power is genuine, but do not rely solely on SELF-Sacrifice for your strength. Be mindful that we've already considered the ongoing threat that Khyrom poses not just to us, but to the rest of the Covenant and others beyond. If we simply snatch Carmen away, somehow, Khyrom will try again, and may be more blatantly destructive in his methods. I am not encouraging an open assault on the City of Brass. If you have some idea other than simply pleading your case before him and throwing yourself on Divine intervention or spiritual well-being after your 'martyrdom', I'm willing to hear it. Sooner or later that method will lead to your destruction, and unless you're tired of this Life--and is that not a 'sin'' of dolor?--you should plan to Live."

OOC: Oooh. Pulling the, "You're going to Hell" line is about the last way to persuade Vares to Believe. And with the mass murder of the Cathars ongoing--to say nothing of the Crusades--Vares is more than fed up with the Church's claim to be on a "Holy" mission. He's also met too many Magi who profess to be Christians who happily murder hedge wizards without deigning to offer them a chance at Order membership (whatever the Peripheral Code insists), or who do, anyway, when the hedge wizards aren't really UP to the level of the Order, nor do they pose a threat to Gifted Magi.

Related note. "Abd" translates as either "slave" or "servant", depending on context. Many Muslim rulers proclaimed themselves Abd-Allah or Abdullah in some translations. Vares is neither slave nor servant of anyone or anyTHING.

He also has his suspicions about how the Divine is spreading. Too many of its bastions are fueled by Martyrdom. Self-Sacrifice is an ancient Law of Power, and one that the Divine uses to disturbing extent. Ameline could be planning/hoping for a Martyrdom in the Arc of Fire which would plant the seeds of the Dominion WITHIN the Magic Realm itself, giving her a prompt pass into her Paradise and threatening Magic at its very foundation. She's probably not that devious--that doesn't mean that the Divine isn't.

Hi,

Maurice listens to the magi plan with great interest, a tendril of smoke curling upward from his nostrils.

But Venkath at first listens intently, then paces a bit, and finally bursts out, "You mean you don't already have a plan????"

Maurice says to Venkath, "They have at least two, maybe three."

Meanwhile Simon is sniffing the air, slowly making his way to whomever has the most vis. "Yum yum?" he asks hopefully.

Anyway,

Ken

"You are short sighted indeed. Should you chose to go forward with based on lies and deception and die in this plan of yours, you die in sin. It is the same as going to the priest to speak confession only because of a bet. There is no repetance, no faith or belief which makes it a hollow act. Acts without faith are meaningless." Ameline speaks softly "Yes, he might do it again, he also might repent, change his deeds and perhaps go from enemy to ally or neutral. You are talking about either killing him or trying to trap him. If you trap him, he can escape again someday and there is an enemy again. You try to kill him and you are in his land, his kingdom with all his minions so you are asking to die. The goal is to free Carmen, make it so he can not get back inside the covenant and perhaps we can make him cease this struggle battle. Killing is not the only solution to problems. So you free Carmen and I will speak to the Efreet and seek to put an end to this madness that wastes his resources and ours and there from being any deaths."

OOC basing a plan on lies and deception means if you die, you in the middle of commission of a sin of deceit. That is basic theology.

Hi,

Maurice says, "I recommend that the two of you reverse roles: Let him negotiate with the Ifrit while you free Carmen." He pauses. "Unless the plan requires an enraged Ifrit." He looks at Vares. "Diplomacy requires a bit of common ground and common values--and common sense--and the two of you might share some."

Anyway,

Ken

OOC - My two cents...
LadyP's plan does indeed sound suicidal. But the way she puts her faith bbefore all else, it does tempt me to "Deus ex Machina". It would be rather fitting. But maye not. I will leave it to a fair and impartial die roll when the time comes.

Vares, I hate to upset you, but in this saga I get to play the role of God, and God is always right. He is omnipotent and omniscient. The Cathars are heritics, they are all going to hell anyway. Humans sin, and Human institutions are flawed. Even the human church. But not God, He is infalliabble.

Marie, as usual your roleplaying is awesome. I like the way you play a Tytalus full-on :slight_smile:

Everyone recieves a point of confidence, because I am pleased that you are interacting with each other and you all are doing some wonderful roleplaying :smiley:

From behind Antonio, Isaac politely clears his throat. When at least one person looks his way, he asks:

Isaac: Theology aside, do we know anything of Khyron's guards, servants and other creatures? I presume it is at least possible that they will overmatch you, else you would not have called for outside aid. The more I know, the better assistance I can provide.

He deliberately doesn't mention the drakes, as he isn't sure what their role is, beyond not being immediately hostile.

Hi,

Maurice swivels his head to look carefully at Isaac, smoke no longer curling upward from his nostrils. "It wouldn't do for us to walk into an ambush," he ventures. "A quick snatch and grab in your lair to seize someone weak and vulnerable is one thing; being lured into a carefully prepared killing ground where the Ifrit and his minions wait for you... do you have a bad history with this Khyron?"

Anyway,

Ken

Even if that were true, we as characters wouldn't know it. We know the Divine is real, but we shouldn't know (and I'd rather not know) whose theological account is correct. (And if it were that easily knowable, you'd have no Cathars in the first place, because their error would be blindingly obvious to themselves.) God is infallible, but his priests aren't.

Scott

Antonio is still keeping his eye on Sigmundo. You can tell that, even in human form, the dragon's presence makes him uneasy. But when Issac asks his question, he will turn to answer him.
[color=red]I doubt his minions pose that much of a threat. Nothing magi of your age and experience cannot handle. The main threat is Khyron himself. The reason I am staying here, other than Rodrigo's insistance that I am too intimately involved to remain objective (scowls at Rodrigo)[color=red], is that we think that he is planning an assault on the covenant while we are distracted at the Arc of Fire.

[color=red]Okay, let's set something straight. Carmen is not weak and vulnerable. Khyron could have easilly overpowered any other magus here except for myself. He targeted Carmen because he obviously seeks to antagonize me. She is my daughter. Thus, we suspect that he expects me to show up at the Arc of Fire, and futher theorize that he plans to attack the covenant while I am away.
As for a bad history, well, I suppose that is one way of putting it mildly. I have already killed him once (or was it twice?), and he blames me for the loss of his kingdom. The Palace of Burning Bronze, located within the Arc of Fire. After the last time I "killed" him, his domain was overthrown by his cousin, whose name I forget but he used to be the Sultan of the Scarlet Sands. I have no idea how he got his kingdom back.

(OOC note: NOT the City of Brass, that is something entirely different and unrelated to this. That is located in Egypt and is a classic tale from the arabian nights. The Arc of Fire is located in the Sicilian sea and is entirely fabricated by myself (though it is based upon the existance of actual volcanoes in the Sicilian sea, what geologists refer to as the arc of fire).

Your last statement is exactly correct. The clergy and followers of God are indeed fallible, even though he himself is not. And yes, it is true that you have no idea who is correct.
My issue is why does Vares even care about the Cathars? Having spent his life until now in Italy, how does he even know about the Cathars? And again, why would he care?

Viola cares, in a dispassionate way, but this is seriously unrelated to getting Carmen back, and Viola is rolling her eyes quite a lot at all the posturing.

Scott

Well, perhaps Viola should speak up and voice her opinion :wink:

I think she just did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Scott

:laughing:
You (Scott) did, but Viola has said nothing. For example, what is her opinion on Ameline's revised plan? What does she think of Vares' comments upon it? What does Viola think our best course of action is?

Viola's only opinion at the moment is the one she's expressed--on the screwing around taking place at the moment. She'll withhold judgment on the plan.

Scott