Chapter 12 - Light of Burning Bronze

Viola does have 5 pawns of Muto vis and 4 pawns of Vim vis available. I think Viola, given a bit of time, can come up with something more creative than a mere cage, though.

Scott

Antonio will provide the vis for you. This is his daughter.
We have three sunsets from now. It is getting near sunrise as we speak. Think of whatever you can.

OK, now that I have more time to look at it....Wicked Jar is Sun duration; lowering it to Diameter makes the maximum Might spell level - 5; we could use a shorter range, too. If we want to take care of the minions, a Group spell only takes the level up by 5.

Scott

Using the Spell as the Base Guideline, changing the D: to Diam and the T: to Group yields a net +5 levels
You can also lower the Range to Touch, so that if any one member of the Target Group touches the treasure, the spell goes off on all of them. It affects only whom it Penetrates, even if it isn't the one who triggered it.

Design a Ceremony and let's see what you come up with :slight_smile:

Rodrigo: [color=Red]Now, taking the minions out means we still have to deal with el papa grande. He will be a little off guard, but the element of surprise doesn't last long. We need a way to quickly subdue him or bypass him in order to rescue Carmen and get out as quickly as possible.
Which reminds me, someone needs to be ready with an Arcane Connection and a Carmen Locater spell.

Any ideas on handle these two situations?

"As I hope to discuss philophy and such with you in the future and that would require that you visit me or I visit you. As for this situation, it is his daughter we are rescuing. I think it would be most delightful for you to pay him a visit. Let's just be discrete in approach to avoid scaring our villagers. I would not have the flock terrified for that would not be behavor of a guest." Ameline thinks that Antonio's reaction as the dragon sits down at the dinner table next to antonio in human form would be a good test of the arch mage's fortitude and self control. Still, Ameline is slow to get on the back of the dragon. She has never ridden anything before. thankfully her spell will keep her in the air if she falls off.

Okay, let us move Ameline along with the Dragon to meet the drakes.

Ah...
Family Reunions :smiling_imp:

Wouldn't this be like a ward? It seems ridiculous that the target would in effect get to use its Might twice, once to require a higher effect level and once to resist Penetration.

Scott

"I can craft an Horoscope for the Arc of Fire. It will be unusually constant. We have the Arcane Connections to Khyrom himself from his attack on Carmen."

Vares considers. "Once he is trapped, would it be feasible to then attack his essence, whittling away at his strength until he is weak enough to be extinguished? A PeVi effect would be best. An alternative I have considered is a Rego Vim that draws his essence into a body part that can then be severed, removing his Power without killing him."

OOC: "Gather the Essence of the Beast". There's nothing in the rules that says that it can't be used on a sentient, living target if they're Magical. It is also comparatively low-level, allowing for better Penetration than an outright attack spell.

Of course, one then has to sever the part in question.

I see the comparison, but no, this is not a Ward. One of the reasons for my Ward HR is that I want it to be easier to protect yourself from something than it is to might-strip them all at once or to do something like this.
You are not going to be able to trap the big guy this way. However, most of the enemy will be in the 4th to 6th magnitude range (might 20 to 30), and if you can suck as many of those guys up as possible, we will have a strong advantage.
But keep thinking of ideas! There are many things available that can provide a Penetration bonus that wouldn't otherwise add anything to the Casting Total. For example, Vares can draw up a horoscope. We have the dagger Khyron left behind as an AC (though I think Antonio can dig up something stronger, I need to search my old hand written records). The Penetration bonus multiplies rapidly.

Antonio: [color=red]Perdo-Vim or Perdo-Ignem will work equally well as an ablative. If creating a protective Ward, it is best to use Ignem (thus meeting the requirement of the Ward HR, matching both Realm (Magic) and Form (Ignem))[color=red].
As far as using Rego to siphon his power, I tried that once. That’s how he got into the Phoenix Sword and how he got into Andorra. But that draws my mind to a possible answer to our problems. Vares, I think you have given me an epiphany (both in and out of game!)[color=red].
I have received a follow up report from Dimir Taar (since Fixer is absent I will have to give the report for him :smiley:)[color=red]. The Vault of Valdarius was broken into. Seems obvious but I had wondered if something within had broken out. Powerful magic was used to disintegrate the door, non-Hermetic but equivalent to Perdo-Terram of course. The source of destructive power originated from within the covenant, probably at point-blank range. From there, the culprit smashed the weapons case, took the Phoenix Sword, and summoned Khyron from within. If indeed bound to an object as we suspect, the efreet is powerless to leave on his own. The bottle has to be opened for him, and can be closed again.
We need to get that sword back!

"So the efreet is not our only enemy in this!? There is another villain?" Marie is truly surprised.

ooc: I am a bit lost with creating traps. Marie is poor at muto. Burying the efreet in rock, water or whatever won't help (which is the classical rego way of doing things, and her vilano attacks will barely scratch him. I could use some additional brain-power.

[color=red]Apparently so. And I am looking for a volunteer to lead the investigation to find out who this mystery culprit.

Rego can make a strong Ward, and can also be used to summon with a base level of 15. Not sure what you can do with that. Maybe summon him away as the rest of the group infiltrates the Arc of Fire.

I'm pretty sure the spell guidelines were not intentionally designed that way--the Might shouldn't be double-counted. I'm not saying things should be unbalanced, or that we should be able to trap Khyron with this spell, but it just flat-out doesn't make sense to have to pay twice for the Might.

Scott

By the time RoP:I cam out, people were well aware of the glitch. Erik Dahl wrote those rules I think. He knows what he is doing.

But anyways, you missed a major hint that I just dropped. Khyron's might may not be as high as we suspect. We are all freaked out because we have a level 60 Aegis, and we are presuming that he must have a Might higher than that in order to enter the covenant.
BUT
If he was bound within the sword as we now suspect, it may have been possible for him to slip through that way. Either that or the sword summons him. Either way, it may have been through a loophole such as this that he got in. The powers of a supernatural being are not as hampered as the spells of magi within an Aegis. They can still use their powers and their is no increase in difficulty or cost. The only hindrance is that their Penetration totals are halved.
This is just a maybe though. I actually designed Khyron a long time ago. His might score is set in stone. I just don't remember what it is.
Pretend I am Antonio, thinking of ideas right alongside you.

Marie feels like we have neglected an important line of investigation:

"So there is atraitor among us. I do not know if a mundane person could find a way into the Vault. Why don't we use some consensual mind-reading to see if one of the magi is involved? Nobody wants to go fighting with a traitor around - and nobody will refuse consent to answering one question Truthfully. We all love Carmen, don't we. If someone refuses, we can still certamen him into having a spell cast on him or her. I volunteer to be the first."

Vares clarifies, "I was proposing concentrating Khryom's Power and then severing that part of him from the rest--and then it could be used up, as with any Vis, consuming his Power. Merely 'siphoning' and storing it didn't work."

He sighs at the latest round of speculation. "Did anyone think to perform a search for recent magical residue at the Vault? It is what I used at Carmen's Lab.

"I posited that it was likely that Khyrom had help from within, rather than that he simply broke through the Aegis. When I questioned the matter of the Aegis tokens, I was told that they had all been rescinded, yet there was no effort made to discover if any additional ones had been made or bestowed." He refrains from grinding his teeth in frustration. "When I proposed using them to establish any recently-formed Arcane Connections, I was rebuffed. Have you reconsidered the value of that line of investigation?"

Viola scoffs at that suggestion. "Which...art?" She intones with a raised eyebrow.

Scott

How do you sever part of a spirit? Let us say he is in material form and you cut off his arm. Even as a corporeal being, there may not be any vis there. It isn't evenly distributed, maybe it is all concentrated in his horns. Further, for a corporeal eing, I would say that there isn't any vis in him while he is still alive. Might is not vis, but after deat it sort of "crystalizes" and becomes vis. And as a spirit, if you cut off his arm, he can just dematerialize and form a new body with the arm intact.

That's what I had Dimir Taar do. I was going to let Fixer do it in game, but he is absent so I just hand waved it.

Maybe that is just me as SG, but I have no idea what that will accomplish. In other words, I am telling you that this is a dead end line of investigation.

Yeah, I didn't think a Wizard's Inquisition would be well recieved :smiley:

OOC: Gather the Essence of the Beast or an equivalent should be able to concentrate the Vis in Khryom into one portion that could then be severed. There is precedent for this with other Magical beings and even Infernal and Faerie ones (not sure about Divine). Demons, for example. The idea is to FIRST cast the spell to concentrate Khryom's Power/Vis and THEN sever it. Think of a Unicorn horn. In a number of legends severing it while the Unicorn is still alive yields the Unicorn's Power while leaving the Unicorn crippled. Other creatures have similar embodiments.

As for Khyrom, a precedent for absorbing/concentrating his Vis exists due to the Phoenix Sword. He IS vulnerable.

I can think of several ways to make the tracking of the Aegis tokens extend to the other invitation. Start by applying the Law of Sympathy. All act as keys to the same "gate"--the Aegis. Because of this connection to the enchantment, and to the CASTERS of the Aegis, they are linked. With the known tokens assembled, the connection resonating through the Law of Sympathy (Contagion also applies) to the heretofore "unknown" Aegis should point to its direction. Additionally, this previously unknown or missing token should resonate with the known Arcane Connection of Khyrom's essence (it won't link to him per se, but it will link to the sigil/trace of his MAGIC which was used within the Aegis; the Aegis token facilitated this, ergo there is a connection).

The token being sought therefore contains links to Khyrom and to whosoever bestowed it/authorised it on him. No one else seems to have thought of this, so countermeasures may not have been employed. There may be much fainter links to the others, but it will be strongest to them.