Chapter 14 - Test of the Flames

"I'll be as meek as ... as ... as a lamb" Marie promises her team mates.

Perhaps a code word, such as "Stormbringer", since Carmen is a mistress of the tempest. Vares, are you able to send as well as recieve information?

OOC "Stormbringer" is also the name of one of my cats, so named because he is entirely black save for a single white hair on the back of his neck :slight_smile:

Ameline didn't mention her reservations about you out loud, and indeed I didn't notice that bit until after I posted the roster change :mrgreen:

As usual, I am unavailable all weekend. Discuss any plans or roster changes, and I will catch up with you guys on Monday. Next week we launch and shall enter the Arc of Fire :smiling_imp:

"With a small amount of work I should be able to speak into the minds of the herald-soldiers," Vares repeats (OOC: I'm trying to avoid anachronistic language; I almost think that the colour-coded teams should be called 'banners' or maybe 'maniples'). "I can send sound if that is preferred. Stormwrack would be more appropriate."

He looks toward Esteban with a frown. "Those in the Red group are to free Carmen. Unless you encounter guards there, you should be more concerned with liberating her than in mounting an assault. That will be the responsibility of those with the Gold.

OOC: Most people might think of Elric of Melnibone's weapon, but I can think of other occurrences in fiction, including one of the Ten Who Were Taken in the excellent Black Company series by Glen Cook. She was called Stormbringer, too.

I should probably look through the soldier character sheets you've posted to find suitable candidates.

With Estaban's lack of reciprocation of an introduction, Octavian turns to Dimir Taar and bows politely. "Greetings master Taar. May I inquire a briefing upon the events and so-called plans Andorra has made?"

I beg your pardon, Octavian. I was expecting Captain Alexandro to introduce me. I am Esteban de Babastro, magus of the Order of Hermes of the House of Jerbiton. I am an old friend of the Captain, and he has asked me to assist him in the rescue of his sister. I am pleased to make your acquaintance and I assure you that I shall strive to prove myself worthy of this honorable company.

The tremere's green eyes flicker from Esteban to Alexandro and back. Closing his eyes, he returns the sentiment. "I thank you master de Babastro; civility has not evaporated. Recent events have made reconsideration of managing one's expectations a likely course of thought. Nevertheless, your words are well-spoken."

OOC: Vares will have two separate sets of "speaking stick" Arcane Connections distributed to each of the groups.

Set 1 goes to: Ronaldo (Blue), Armando (Gold; yes, this means an extra one in Gold, as Vares also has one), and Captain Alexandro (Red).

Set 2 goes to: Bartolome (Blue), Vares (Gold), and Father Clemente (Red).

There weren't any real writeups for the guards with Blue, so I had to guess. For the others, they're assigned to those in charge as they will be at the hub and are the best candidates to receive communications other than the Magi.

The sticks can be tucked away, and don't have to be in the open in order to work.

Esteban says, "Let us also bring mundane horns for signaling one another, in case the speaking sticks are lost or Vares is unable to reply. Here are the signals:

"My team, come to my aid: three short notes
"Negotiations have failed: one long note
"All teams withdraw: two short, one long

"Let us use the speaking sticks first, but if we cannot raise Vares or the team speakers, we can fall back on horn signals.

Ameline is not sure she wants to use the lamp especially if it has to be returned after it has captured Khyron. Still she takes it for the moment to examine it carefully for the sort of feel that it has to her, whether magical or holy and to look for the signs of solomon on it.

Marie who notices Ameline's hesitation, shrugs back her sleeves to reveal her crippled arms, and jokes: "Well, better in your hands than in mine, wouldn't you agree?"
She has no illusions about the necessity of that lamp getting lost (preferably on the Ocean floor) if the efreet can be captured within. She doesn't mention that to Ameline though, because she for once decides not to burden her pious comrade's conscience.

OOC: I know I tend to be acronistic, and I do not mind the correction in terms. "Banners" is indeed more appropriate.

Rodrigo: Allrighty then. Stormbringer it is. :smiley:

Vares acknowledges Esteban's logic. "Traditional horns make a good fallback means of communication, though they should be kept hidden unless the Blue banner uses it to signal Khyrom of arrival, lest they suspect the presence of other parties. Announcing an approach thus, the horn would not be considered unusual, and he would be less likely to look further."

He then voices, "It might be worth flying a flag of truce and parley, at least until they fail."

OOC: It's a Jar of Solomon, not a "lamp".

And if anything happens to it, Vares is the one who's going to be stuck paying off the Verditius.

Alexandro nods and shrugs an apology for his lack of etiquette. He has obviously had a lot on his mind.

For the grogs of the Blue Banner, I am using the grogs that Scott and Jean-Michelle creatd for Viola and Marie. For the Gold Banner, the extra stick should be given to Jehan. For Red, Alexandro re-designated the stick to Moe.
Magic Resistance will still be an issue, or at least it should. It is expected by the guards that they will be covered by the Parma Magica of one of the magi on their team.
As for the use of horns as an additional means of communication, I agree that this is a great idea and shall be done.

OOC: With Arcane Connections to those holding the "speaking sticks", knowledge of their respective names, and the horoscope Vares prepared for the Palace area, Vares should be able to overcome the respective Parmas, I believe. More to the point, once the spell has been activated, it will function continuously, so all that they have to do is permit the spell to be cast (dropping Parma for that to let it through), then Parma will no longer be an issue.

It is actually a bottle, not a lamp or a jar. And it does bear the Seal of Soloman, and the magical enchantments do radiate Holy Magic (using your Sense Holy/Unholy ability).
As for dumping it to the bottom of the sea, not only would that be unethical, it is only a temporary solution (it will eventually wash ashor or be caught in a fishing net).

oc: The medieval equivalent of a nuclear repository debate. :smiley:

Greeting, Octavian. I am pleased to see you back, I must say. I quite like your company and think you bring us a lot more than simple magical skills.

As you know, Carmen was captured by Khyron, of the Arc of Flame
Our plan is simple: Ameline will try to use diplomacy with the Djinn. A noble, although probably doomed effort. That's why we'll have to other teams: One that'll do an overt rescue attempt by brute force, which'll in fact serve as a distraction for our team, who'll try to rescue our sodales through stealth and cunning.

I must also say something to marko. Although, both player and character think it is a stupid and doomed attempt, give ameline a chance (even if it is very difficult, just don't say "no" beforehand). You may be tempted to do otherwise just so we can have an epic adventure and fun, but I think it would be unfair.If ameline, through great roleplay and rolls (because yes, IMO, the character social skills matter, or else, why play a social PC?) manages to convince khyron, it'll be great, too.