Chapter 14 - Test of the Flames

"My apologies master Taar, but I have not returned to Andorra. Nevertheless, you are far too kind in your praise." He bows almost contritely.

"The Djinn Khyron has likely taken mistress Perez captive to exact a measure of revenge against those that imprisonned him. It is foolish to believe it possible to negotiate when in the creature's own demesne. A true negotiation would be held in a more neutral location. Is it not odd that archmagus Perez is not among those present?"

A soft laugh

I concurr. Yet, she is determined. If she wants to waste her life, it's her choice and I won't stop her against her will. But at least, we can put that to good use, if she buys us enough time to infiltrate Khyron's palace.
Antonio? Well, it was deemed best for him to stay behind. Let me see...
First, there's the possibility Khyron intends to strike at an undefended covenant while we're on a goose chase. If so, he's in for a fall.
Second, antonio is too emotionnally unstable as it is. We don't need hotheads on this mission.
And then, the added bonus: Khyron. Once we are figured out, he won't believe Antonio ain't with us, which may give us an edge.

:smiling_imp:
Everyones skill and ability will indeed be relevant. Ameline's diplomacy idea was unexpected, but it actually plays perfectly into my plans. I do not "deus ex machina" anything, not ever. It sometimes has the appearance of that because players such as LadyP and the rest of you come up with these clever ideas that take me by complete surprise.

Wait and see what happens :smiley:

Okay, the sun will be setting soon, and Sigmundo is ready to take you to the Arc of Fire. He relinquishes the Old Scholar form that he enjoys so much, and assumes his full draconic glory. He is truely magnificent to behold.
[size=150]Well then, are we ready?[/size]

He will cary you all to the Arc of Fire and open it for you. He has also granted most of you a temporary immunity to Heat and Flames. Those who do not want this protection, say so. Otherwise I will presume you have the dragon's blessing.
Any last minute comments or arrangments need to be made now, sor as of tomorrow you are already there :smiley:

He opens his eyes at the man's laughter but remains silent until he is done speaking.

"What would the djinn have to gain by striking at an 'undefended' covenant when it has already shown it is capable of attacking it and capturing members of said covenant unscathed? Particularly when its members would be within the creature's demesne where it can lay trap and use its minions to their fullest?"

Esteban: "I have one thing to say. I am a stranger to most of you, so forgive me if I seem presumptuous by saying this. If you have seen as much of battle as I have, you know that sometimes the best laid plans go completely to hell as soon as the enemy shows up. You have to know when to improvise, and when to retreat. It's better to withdraw from a superior force than to throw your life away on a diversion. But -- DO NOT flee all the way back to the mundane Realm. As soon as we get into the Arc of Fire, let's designate a rally point where we can regroup if we must.

"Now, as soon as you bestow the ward against fire (my thanks for that), I am ready."

"Ready", Marie confirms.

Isaac smiles and nods. He's ready - oh yes he is.

ready

For you think khyron powerful enough to pierce our aegis and defeat carmen with ease? He has power, sure, but not that much. Our best guess is that he entered through the Phoenix Sword, maybe with some help, and struck Carmen down by surprise.

It was also so that we could have an adventure without being overshadowed by a NPC magus, or having the temptation to turn to him to solve our problems.

Dimir Taar
Of course we are. We wouldn't be magi of Andorra otherwise.

"The Aegis of the Hearth would have weakened the djinn's powers significantly." he says in reply. "If its plan was to attack Andorra it would have done so with the element of surprise it had. That mistress Perez was taken captive is indication that she is to to be used as a lure for its true objective: archmagus Perez. The djinn will certainly be wroth if Andorra sends a contingent to negotiate that does not include archmagus Perez at worst, and suspicious at best. Either would lead to an increased guard."

(OOC: well ooc I suppose I'm ready. IC having no briefing of any significant substance on the situation Octavian wouldn't be but in the interest of moving forward it's fine.)

And I presume everyone else nods in the affirmative
Rodrigo: Let’s saddle up then…. Rodrigo has the soldiers load up with the small amount of gear he is carrying. He himself carries the “ever-lovin’ Flying Carpet” rolled up and hefted over one of his shoulders (Fixer named the thing, not me :laughing: ).

Rodrigo nods Yes, absolutely. Regroup, but never Retreat. Gold Banner, we shall make it our first priority to locate and secure a rallying point. Those of the Blue Banner shall approach the Brass Palace openly and attempt negotiations, and explain why we don’t have a ransom (or even the fake ransom Vares created *).

The Dragon sighs. You humans today, you just don’t have the manners that the Romans used to have.
Very well

And with that, he breaths a huge conflagration of roaring flame upon the entire group of you!
This would incinerate you all to ashes, except that this is also the dragons “Magic Sigil” of sorts. Those of you who have not been given resistance to fire yet have it now. The Dragon has (temporarily) granted all the magi the Major Virtue of an Immunity to Heat & Flames. To the soldiers, he has granted a Ward against Heat & Flames that will also last until he withdraws it **.

You all either climb board or tag along as the dragon leads you all to the Arc of Fire. The air becomes warmer and more humid, and cool steam is rising from the ocean below. The pale light of the waxing moon shimmers through the dense warm fog. Some of you may be able to perceive as the dragon takes you into the first layer of the regio. The fog becomes hot and the se boils beneath you. Yet the heat bothers you not at all, for the protection granted to you all makes it seam pleasant as a calm spring day. Winding through the fog as the sun starts to rise in the east, the dragon crosses the next layer and you might perceive a dramatic increase in magical energy. Then you eventually reach your destination, the Arc of Fire, Gateway to the Magic Realm. Rising up out of the boiling sea is a tiny island (about a dozen paces long and seven wide) of volcanic rock, twin seamount volcanoes fused together and quietly smoldering.

Rodrigo whips out the Flying Carpet and you all climb aboard or tag along. The dragon settles down upon the island and begins to invoke another one of his fire-related Dragon Magic spells. Creating a brilliant sphere of fire (as per his sigil), the island begins to rumble then roars to life. The twin seamounts grow and separate, and begin to spew fire and lava. The separate to abut two dozen paces across from one another, and the fiery flow begins to regulate into an even flow from east to west.

The dragon roars.
The Arc of Fire has been opened! Beyond it lies the Magic Realm; The Magma Sea, the Island of Basalt, and the Palace of Burning Bronze. I wish you well, and I hope for your success. I have much invested in you magi, and I know you shall not fail me.

Rodrigo commands the carpet to take you forward through the gateway, and as you travel your mundane senses spin as you take in the landscape of the Twilight Void. Heat and light increase to a magnificent degree, then fuse with a swirl of shadows and a blast of icy wind.
This last for about two minutes then suddenly stops. The air is dry and cold, and you are surrounded by darkness. Below you is a sea of solid volcanic rock. Off in the distance there is an arc of glowing light, no brighter than the moonlight you had seen earlier. Underneath it you see the silhouette of a citadel cloaked in shadow. Rather than a palace of burning bronze, it is a fortress of cold dark metal.

Rodrigo frowns This is a bad sign…

Not quite true. Khyron probably hid out in the sword because his Might is to low to cross the Aegis. But once inside, his might and powers are unaffected. The only handicap is that his Penetration is cut in half. And we still don't know exact;y how it went down. We just know there was an explosion in Carmen's Sanctum, setting her tower ablaze. There was no sign of Carmen inside, just a ransom note.

Octavian's eyes flicker faintly to adjust to the darkness. He leans towards the edges of the carpet to sweep over their surroundings for any other landmarks, signs of animated beings, or possible defenses.

(I assume it would be an awareness roll? Octavian has a score of 2, 3 for alertness specialty,perception 2, Keen eyesight, ability to see in the dark as plain as day and the powerful eyes virtue you created as part of that twilight experience Mark. I can't access the roller right now from work so feel free to roll on my behalf).

All is cold and still. Off in the distance, you can see some motion atop the walls of the citadel. Probably passing guards.
Then down below, a cave-like hole in the rocky solid volcanic rock. A man pokes his head out and frantically waves to you.

Experiencing the tumultuous transition into the Magic Realm, Vares instinctively compares it to his two prior crossings--once through the Portal into the Magic Realm, then at the other Place that led back to the mortal plane. His senses peer out into the weird environment, Sight questing for any sign of familiarity.

Then comes the cold darkness after the swells and storms of heat and fire. At once he focuses on the horizon, and, determined to take his bearing, casts "Know Heaven's Time" to ascertain--Astrologically--exactly where they may be.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2499831/

OOC: Roll of 9, add to +10 for Magic Realm, +1 for Stamina, +5x2 or +10 for Intellego (boosted by his Major Magical Focus, which works on the spell) and +6 for Vim for a total of 36. Spell successfully cast and no Fatigue lost.

Vares should now be able to tell exactly what the local Astrological time is (remember: he did a forecast for the Palace before they left, so he knows what it should be), and, within the scope of the Magic Realm, assay most likely where they are. If they've shifted in time, he should be able to tell how far, and the same for distance.

His next action is to cast "Strings of the Arcane Connection" (InVi30)

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2499837/

Same modifiers. Total this time for roll of 5 is 32, so the second spell is also successful and no Fatigue lost.

Vares is going to use the Arcane Connections to Carmen and to Khyrom to find out what direction they're in. Once the group moves, he will be able to gain a second and third reading to start estimating distance. If they're in the Palace, it's another sign that at least they're in the right place. If the Arcane Connections point elsewhere, then they're not. And if the Arcane Connections don't WORK, then they're someplace where their targets are not.

Octavian narrows his eyes into slits briefly before turning to Rodrigo. "Master Vasquez. My apologies but may I request that we approach in that direction?" He indicates the direction of the cave.

Marie spontaneously casts "Eyes of the Cat" on herself. If that costs her fatigue, she'll pause a moment to get it back, spending the time looking at the person who is waving at the group.

ooc: range personal, lvl4 (score: 14+aura+die)
maybe the glacier was the right gift after all?

Ameline does not like the darkness and she begins to pray. Calling upon God to bless the group with the eyes of the cat. Any one that is not protected by Parma will suddenly see with the eyes of the cat (or by parma of 0)

OOC: If the magic aura here is +5 or better, Ameline will hand out eyes of the cat to everyone. Her casting total is Stamina 2, Muto 5, Corpus 17 + 1 booming voice + aura -5 = 20 +aura. If aura is 5 or better, she can do it without using fatigue.

Exactly. He wants antonio, knowing his quarry will probably fall into any and all trap. All the more reason to deny it to him, as we aren't going to play by the Jinn's rules.
As per attacking Andorra, without a powerfull magus there, he could use any of his powers unnoposed. Even physical might could be enough to destroy our library and take our stores of vis. His previous attack did only succeed because he retreated at once. Had he stayed, he would have had some problems.
Anyway, what's done is done. Look, the Arc of Fire is upon us!

Interesting. This is quite unexpected.

Not quite trusting the dragon entirely, Dimir Taar will still cast his own "Deflect the Fire" spell (+25 soak vs Flame), calling upon ancient pacts made between his lineage and the Lords of Fire and Flame. That way, should the dragon dissipate his blessing, he'll still be protected somewhat.
He'll also call up the protection of the Earth (Deflect the incoming Swords , +15 soak vs metal weapons), while asking the Animal Powers to strengthen the clothes he wears under his armor (Doublet of Impenetrable silk).

I concurr. We need intelligence, and as soon as possible.
Vares, what do your investigations tell you?