Chapter 17: Light of Renewal

"Do you refer to Houses Tytalus and Tremere? Touched by Corruption, each, yet permitted to continue to exist. I've done some research into the accusations against Diedne. Even the Quaesitors could not confirm those claims, and if it were true for some, it may not have encompassed all." Vares remains reasonable in tone and manner. "And we have the legacy of Diedne in Hermetic Magic itself. Bonisagus developed Spontaneous Magic from Diedne's work."

He considers the question of the Sahirs. "Perhaps it might be said that the Sahirs and several lineages within Ex Miscellanea are at a level akin to those of the early Founders: they have not yet been properly integrated into Hermetic Theory. Bonisagus and his successors drew from many sources, building on Hermetic Theory to achieve the triumphant--but still growing--traditions we know now. Work might be done to integrate the best of these other schools into our own. The result would most likely be superior.

"And all within the Order are your equals within the Order, Titus. We may hold claims to respect and regard, but in Tribunal, all voices, all votes are equal. You excel on the battlefield. Others, in different areas. Together, we are stronger."

He doesn't ignore Ludoviccio's other suggestion. "A Trans-Pyrenean Tribunal would be extremely difficult to achieve. There are many powerful rivals within it, especially on the Provencal side. Doissetep, for one.

"Master Vares, I warn you now. Watch your words, lest I think you are casting aspersions on the honor of our House. I assure you, I will not let that stand! And if you ever presume one of the 'Hedge Wizards' of 'House' Ex-Miscellanea my equal again, I assure you sir that there will be only one way to settle such an insult..."

Leaving the threat hanging in the air, Titus pauses for a moment to recover his composure "The Tremere? They were dominating the Order, yes. But if they were strong enough to do so, then why shouldn't they? The strong deserve to rule and the weak serve to challenge those with strength, so that they do not become too complacent with their position. As for the Tytalus, as I'm sure Master Ludovico can attest" He gives a slight nod in Ludo direction as he continues "Yes, there was corruption inside the House. But they co-operated with the Order and rid themselves of the problem. House Diedne did no such thing, instead they hid behind their religion. If they had nothing to hid, then why did they?

"But no Master Vares, I refer instead to the Non-Latinate Houses, the ones who hid the survivors from House Diedne, some even assisted their forces against the Order. Yet nothing ever came of it. The Quaesitors were too concerned with returning to the status quo and the other, weak houses were all too happy to oblige. Again I say, the Schism War did not go far enough! The traitors who gave aid and comfort to the Diedne should have been hunted down and slain like the dogs they were!"

Ludovico quirks a brow giving a quite arch look to Vares and Titus in turn. Then he begins to chuckle, laughing softly at first and then with some intensity. Then he stands, bowing ever so slightly to each in turn and applauding in a symbolic, slow and deliberate, way to each. [color=red] "My friends, my friends. You each in turn seem to struggle so valiantly to express your Physis against the all pervading Nomos. In different ways. Against different aspects of Nomos. But I salute you each in your efforts. Be wary however, for both of you instead are accepting other aspects of Nomos seemingly unchallenged.

Therein lies the real trap, the exceedingly corruptive and deceptive nature of Nomos to begin with. Why it is so very difficult to escape, truly. Far too many -think- they have, when what they have truly done is simply rejected a certain part only to run and wrap themselves in the warmth and comfort of another they find more pleasing."

The magus then folds his hands over his abdomen. He appears thoughtful for a long moment before speaking once again. First, to Titus.

[color=red]"Friend, you should question the -assumption- that 'any' such a non-latinate Magus may ever prove to be other than inferior. While we can observe and judge the probability to be so, with our knowledge of the respective traditions and their relative prowess, the ultimate factor in any equation will inevitably be Physis. One with a great enough Physis will, from any origin, prove the better man. Damhad Allaidh for instance killed -many- Hermetics that in today's world would have assumed themselves naturally his better. Pralix did not even confront him alone. Be wary of the Nomos of Pride. Part of the value of Conflict is that it deconstructs it, and forces one to rely on the true merit of Physis. Be concerned more with your own strength, and you will remain the greater. Be too concerned with your foe's weakness, and you may find them greater than you thought."

Then he turns towards Vares, giving a nod of respect and smiling a bit more widely. He nods to himself a few more times and he seems to consider his words once again. [color=red]"You make good points my friend, you do. Though I suppose, for my own purposes, the most apt comparison would be to the auxilliary system. Rome never assumed loyalty either. The Gauls were usually not relied upon to fight one another on the behalf of the empire. They were taken somewhere else and brought to bear upon another foe foreign to them both. Here in Iberia we have Sahir within and Sahir without. It is... uncomfortable to have a tradition split so and then be expected to -assume- loyalty. If I dwelt in the Rhine and faced instead the threat of Vitkir without and a Sahir Magus came and offered to join my fight. Then... well, I should have far less reason to question would I not? Here however things are different."

He pauses for another moment, rubbing his hands together and chuckling once again.

[color=red]"And you should also not assume 'equality' any more than our good comrade Magus Titus should assume superiority." he says, his mirth a tad more exuberant now. [color=red]"It is as dangerous an implementation of Nomos as any other. Whether an assumption of superiority or equality both have the same ultimate flaw. They do not acknowledge Physis. They create a barrier to the truly great by simple convention. And this, this is the ultimate evil. The best for all is the fostering of the very best among us. What greatness the world would have never known had Bonisagus never been acknowledged for his genius? Would any dare to say he was or should have been merely one voice among many? I would strike such a man down myself.

The traditions of the Rhine acknowledge this. Is Journeyman the equal of a Master? Master that of an Archmagus? No, to answer plainly and simply. And they should -not- be treated as such."

Ludo's manner slows, grows a tad more serious. [color=red]"Doissetep is a great foe, should they prove our enemy. Yes. And it would be wiser in the short term if we could avoid allowing them within our arena in the immediate future if we could manage it. Ultimately, once we had secured our own strength, it would possibly even be to our benefit to include them in the plan! They would benefit as much as we. We must simply be sure to be in a position where they could not immediately dominate us in the arrangement. We must have greater strength and greater numbers. Then we may very well entertain the prospect of alliance with them towards our end."

At Titus' last outburst Ludovico frowns slightly, shaking his head and waving a finger towards the other Magus much as a schoolmaster might. [color=red]"Really? And what is Treachery Master Titus? What is it but the hate of another who has thrown off a shackle of Nomos that you may still hold dear to heart ones-self? Pralix may have defied the Order, the Diedne may have been reprehensible in their acts, and yes... the upstarts of the bastard traditions may be oh so very wrong that they are anything near being your equal. But do not deceive yourself. Even if all of these things are objectively true, if we -assume- so for the sake of argument. That isn't what has you so angry. So tempestuous. Your own Nomos assumes that such should not be so, and this... this it appears can not be borne. Let it go. Why resent another for finding his own Physis, even if it differs from yours? No. While I agree with you, things are not as simple as they might seem in regards to the war, such complications can not be used to simplify an accepting of merely a different version of Nomos. That would be the ultimate folly, though it is all too common. Do not reject one illusion merely to turn from it in favor of another. Reject all illusions, all things untested, untried. And then you will be left with the only truth that can be left. Your own Physis."

Antonio holds his tongue for a few moments, then after Ludo's speech his voice booms
[color=red]Enow! The Diedne were all vile diablorists, and they deserved what they got. If any remain, they should be exterminated without hesitation. Spntaneous magic, Bah! Mere cantrips. And I would say that they dis not invent it. They merely refined it.
But as for the Sahirs of Iberia, ther are our allies. Simple as that. They have nothing to do with the Caliphate in Iraq. And our alliance is not based upon their joining the order or their capitualtion to attacks from our bretheren. It is based upon the peace forged between us by El Cid. Under his banner, The Flambbeau of the Knights of Seneca and the Sahirs of Al-Estancia united and helped conquor Valencia. To dishonor the alliance is to dishonor the honor of the Cid. And I will not tolorate any disrespect of the Cid!

Titus is quiet for a while, his expression pensive. Finally he breaks the silence "Master Vares, it... appears I owe you an apology..." his face is strained, as if the words hurt him to say "While I may not understand everything Master Ludovico was trying to say, I think I understand his main point. There is no need for a discussion about past events and rather than talking about how I am better than others, I should endeavor to 'Shut up and prove it' as it were. And while you and I may have different views of things, it isn't something that I should care about because... I should just let my 'Nomos' go?" Looking rather confused by the end of this Titus quickly shuts up.

All three of you get a point of Confidence for awesome role-playing :smiley:

Vares listens with increasing interest to Ludoviccio's analysis. He has not spent enough time comparing notes of their respective philosophies; Ludoviccio's words invite him to do so at length.

OOC: I don't have "Houses of Hermes: Societates". I'm assuming that it's from the House Tytalus section.

He is quiet as each speaks in turn. Whatever counter he may have planned for Titus with respect to the non-Latinate traditions is met by Ludoviccio and, after a fashion, by Antonio.

Acknowledging Titus apology gracefully, he replies in turn, "We have differences of perspective, as Ludoviccio rightly observes. Each holds pieces of the greater truth, and sees different facets thereof. I, for one, recognise the wisdom in not requiring an ally of one lineage to enter battle against a cousin without cause. Though if that cousin has truly Fallen, then, as it was with us and the Shadow Flambeau, it is up to the loyal to join if not lead the battle against them."

For a points of history, he clarifies, "The Domination of the Tremere was a grave offense. They sought to deny their supposed sodales freedom of Will and would have usurped their Power, in direct violation of the Code of Hermes. It is not to that more ancient offense of which I speak, but the more recent...incidents with those who sought a false immortality, regardless of the taint that it brought. The Tremere dealt with it."

OOC: Whatever they try to say, there're Vamps in the Tremere. Maybe mostly DEAD Vamps at this point in this timeline, but they still had a go at it.

"House Tytalus' situation was far more pervasive and dire. That is a fairer comparison to the Diedne. The very heart of the House was Corrupted, yet it was not expunged from the Order. Diedne was obliterated, though whatever Corruption may have taken hold was unlikely to have been complete. There are accounts of Diedne battling Demons with great valour, and of acts of courage and compassion. Whatever they may have been, is now gone. Why was one allowed to survive and the other denied the chance at redemption?" He raises a hand. "This is not the time for an extended debate. I only ask that you consider the question of how we judge others--and ourselves."

He waits for the formal meeting to be convened.

Titus open his mouth to respond, but quickly stops himself. Glancing at Ludo, he chuckles slightly and asks "Is there anyone else we are waiting on before we can begin? It is my understanding that there are pressing matters that have prevented some from being present, no?

I believe Octavian had some important newsfor us :smiley:

(( Oi! Well the bugger better show up then! :wink: ))

((OOC: umm, what news, huh what?

ALSO 5th edition retconned the vampirism out of House Tremere I think (don't have the book with me). Honestly, with how far the designers went to change the Tremere in 5th, I wonder why they just didn't bother to change the House's name entirely. I suppose the fact White-Wolf ended the WoD line they figured it didn't matter as Vampire wouldn't be using it.)

I am hardcore ArM5 for the rules, but as for history and background I mix it up with earlier editions. So in my view of history, there were a handful of diabolic Tremere that got marched (maybe they were vampires, maybe liches, maybe something else, who know; but they were all marched on my the other members of House Tremere who have swept it all under the rug)

As for your news, I was giving you an opening to pitch your story idea if you wanted :smiley:

OOC: I loved the Classical orientation of House Tremere in 5th Ed. That aspect was long overdue in the game. Ferguson did a very good job in most respects--enough that I'd be happy to have him do the Transylvanian and maybe Thebes Tribunal books. I do, however, believe strongly in continuity wherever possible. My view is that there were Tremere Vampires, that the Seven may, indeed, have existed but that they haven't been able to control the entire House (could be a sinister strain of corruption running through it, not unlike the Dark Jerbiton who went through Literatus), but that at least some of them were discovered at the turn of the 13th Century. They were Marched, the other Tremere hunted down anyone else who seemed to be involved, and if there are any left, they're being very, very careful about maintaining their respective covers.

Did I ever get any vis rations? I don't even know how much I'm supposed to get....

Scott

That statement earns a rather nasty look from Viola, as well as a virtual guarantee that she'll pretend not to hear anything Antonio says for the next few months.

Scott

(( The Impression I got was that people still got them, albeit heavily reduced. I assumed y'all got about half of normal. ))

Ludovico listens to all of the additions to the conversation with a quiet introspective manner. He frowns for a moment, shaking his head a bit as he considers, then turns towards Antonio. Before he speaks however he bows his head slightly. [color=red]"Archmagus Perez, you... perhaps speak in undue haste. The Schism however is long passed. It is... largely irrelevant to debate such points now. However, taking the private affairs of this Covenant with another that is nearby and extrapolating that into a generality as to our relations with a whole tradition of Ex Miscellenea Magi? Well. It is... not sound judgement. We may be on friendly terms with 'those', -particular-, Sahir. Yet I can assure you there are many more besides them, or even so perhaps among them even, that would gladly see us all in bloody ruin."

Then he seems amused again, chuckling even towards Vares once again. [color=red]"You seem very certain in your view of the Tremere Domination and the Sundering. Can you designate what specifically they are guilty of, and how? My understanding was that Tremere intended to have a Grand Tribunal ratify him as the ruler of the Order. A Grand Tribunal can change the Code itself. Any actions it can be manipulated into passing become 'ultimate' law. Faith should not be placed in such things. Law, ultimately, is an 'official' expression of Nomos. We don't obey it because of its simple existence. We obey it under threate of force, or because we believe in the ideals it espouses. Or we don't, and we risk said threat besides. But have no illusions.. Justice exists apart from public acclaim or some 'official' determination.

And as good Titus has posited, the Diedne refused to be investigated. They refused to be 'purged' of their 'evils', though we may debate the relative merit of each. Refusing to acknowledge true defeat, when one is in an utterly undefendable position, is to invite such utter destruction. It is likely they would have remained in existence as House had they not refused to bend their knee. Anything else is mere vapor lacking in consequence."

OOC: I don't recall changing the vis ration being a power of the a Pontifex even? Am I wrong?

Normally Master level members recieve 8 pawns per year, Journeymen recieve 4 pawns but also owe an annual season of service.
But since 1223, that has een cut in half, 4pawns for Masters and 2 for Journeymen.

Maybe, or maybe not. I think it is part of the by-laws, not the charter. Your choices are to either suck it up or find some sort of argument to debate it.