Chapter 17: Light of Renewal

The vote concluded Titus smiles and bows to the assembled Magi "I wish to thank you, my Sodales for your kind words and the great honor you have given me by accepting me as a member of Andorra." Pausing for a moment to collect himself Titus continues "As for my second issue..." His gaze hardens and he looks Antonio squarely in the eyes "Archmagus Antonio Perez of Flambeau, with these Magi as my witnesses" he gestures to the Magi scattered about the chamber "I hereby challenge you for the title of Archmage!"

OOC: Hokay, I haven't seen anything, so I'm operating on old information I spose. Not a big deal! Good in fact, glad we still have a Q. Never thought I'd say those words :confused:

Ludovico nods with solemn dignity and raises a hand to signal a thumbs up. [color=red]"Master Titus has shown skill and valor in combat on behalf of the Covenant, contributed in earnestness and good faith to the resources of the Council, and 'usually' conducted himself with prudence and decorum. The rest of the time he seems quick to listen to reason. A valuable addition to our fellowship on his own merits." he says.

With totally no sign of a bribe or greedy eyes. Really.

Then his attention shifts over to Antonio, a small sniff given in his consideration. [color=red]"Long term investment in the founding of chapter covenants is in our interest. Short term, however, to replenish our warchest... I agree. And will be necessary, repetitively, to acquire the resources we will find essential to sponsor the chapters we desire. And I also agree it is best such occurs at a locale distant from our own. If we intend to pursue such matters regularly I suggest we first construct a reliable, stable, means of variable transportation. The Warping may have undue consquence on our soldiery otherwise. As for an initial suggestion of a target? Mmm. Much depends on the degree of risk we are willing to accept and the means of transportation we elect to use, for the ammount of manpower that we deign to bring to bear. The nearest outlands we have to pillage at will however are to the south. Africa is ripe, and the Sahir there ... not up to confronting our combined might. Master Titus, Master Vares, and Myself could easily mount such a raid with our combined talents. And then we may bring home both Vis and Djinn for spoils."

OOC: This is exceedingly difficult without an explicit charter to review and then argue points from. Which, frankly, makes me not willing to accept commentary regarding by-laws and the like, that we don't have access to. I for one am perfectly willing to write up charters, by-laws, case-law/tribunal rulings and all that jazz. It might take a year and a day, but it certainly adds to the game IMO. Anyways.

Given that there is -not- a fixed charter for us all to review and argue over, what would be entailed in making an argument based on this non-existent body of governing law?

Ludovico has 'Code of Hermes' at a score of 2, specialized in 'Defense'. I'm not going to roll just yet ( If you want to, go ahead and just post me the link. ) but I'm going to assume that is quite good enough to make an argument that his Vis can't be taken away without some kind of vote. i.e. defending his vis rights, his rights to his magical power, which can't be taken away once agreed upon/invested in him via covenant membership without something -explicit- in the charter that allows it. Or a vote of the covenant council.

IC:

Ludovico straitens, standing and raising a hand for attention. [color=red] "Archmagus Perez has made good note of the fact that our Wealth has been greatly depleted. Indeed, to a point where we should be concerned. And I agree. He has also made note that we have all been given a reduced share of the annual profits of our fellowship, on his word, in an effort to rebuild our reserves. Despite my fondness for our good Archmagus, I am forced to conclude that he has overstepped his bounds and acted beyond his authority. Whether to good purpose or not. To that end, and to resolve such a matter that I find most burdensome, I put before the Council a Vote to abide by this reduced rationing as indicated and for another two years or until we have sufficient reserves that we may desire to revisit the issue. Then we would not have to March or Fine our dear friend, and we could acknowledge the wisdom of his actions while clearly showing they were beyond his means to do so alone. Regardless of the outcome of the vote, I shall donate that portion of mine own income as appropriatte to the rebuilding of our reserves. I vote Aye. "

OOC: Octavian never rescinded. He made a deal to get some extra study that is all. He has no longer any association with Andorra and its coven.

OOC: That's what I thought mate. Oh and it looks like Vort and I need to straighten out the order of events. We're both trying to talk at the same time :wink: Marko, I'll let you decide the order of things.

[color=red]Your challenge is refused as you do not yet qualify. First train an apprentce to become a magus, then we can talk.

To make things simple...
The By-Laws are the decisions made in the Master's Council that rule & govern the covenant. Which mean that, as of this current moment, Scott and I have the only two votes on administrative matters. The Pntifex can indeed make sweeping ruling concerning Journeymen Members (the ranke that Ludo, Vares, and now Titus has). I would go so far to say that a Mster is not required to obey a pontifex's edict on vis rationing, for that rank it is voluntary. But a Jorneyman has to suck it up. He may appeal to the masters if he wants. So, as of now, Viola is your ally in any argument.

Titus looks a bit taken aback by the insult "Excuse me Archmagus? According to my understanding of Hermetic Tradition, there is nothing that says I must first take and train an apprentice." His face turning slightly red as his voice rises "I have earned the Rank of Master, having demonstrated my mastery of the form of Vim, I have invented a spell of seventh magnitude and I have become well known for my deeds in defense of the Order. Again, according to Hermetic Tradition I meet the qualifications to challenge you." Pausing for a moment Titus takes a few slow breathes before saying "However if you are worried that someone half your age will show you up... "

OOC: And now so is Titus. Antonio has just earned his ire by brushing off Titus in a very patronizing manor.

[color=red]Hey, I don't make the rules. I would be honored to accept your challenge once you have the qualifications.

No Archmagus in the Order will accept a challenge from you until you have trained an apprentice.

OOC: I supose our debate is on hold until this is settled OOCly.

OOC: I don't remember any specific mention of a need to train an Apprentice before challenging for the title of Archmagus, either. Except in the Rhine Tribunal, where one has to have the equivalent rank of "Master" prior to taking an Apprentice. Outside of the Rhine, those rules do not apply.

Also, I believe that the operating rules of the Covenant govern how Vis is awarded. Andorra's system means that those who are only at Journey level are probably subject to rationing if the higher councils decide it without asking for a general vote. I could be wrong. It would be nice if they DID call for a general vote on the subject, but I don't think that they have to do so.

It looks like Vares developed Philosophic Alchemy just in time. It won't help him get Technique Vis, but he can get any Form of Vis (courtesy of Hermetic Alchemy) while he's studying or working in the Lab. Which is what he's been trying to tell everyone else as part of his campaign to convince them to become Initiated into Alchemy.

OOC: Well essentially my gripe isn't about the Vis. It is about the lack of enumerated powers/procedures etc. I shouldn't be wondering/asking if this was in Antonio's powers or not, and then us discussing it back and forth. It should be a -known- thing. If it isn't a known thing it should have been brought up previously, discussing and arguing over it -after- the fact, is annoying.

In any case, wouldn't you want to know what Anotonio's archmagus challenge is before challenging him?

Scott

OOC: You can't find out what it is until you actually challenge them. You can spend time studying them and past challenges, but as nobody has yet challenged Antonio...

It doesn't actually say that in the book (Guardians of the Forest). It doesn't say the opposite, either. You might want to ask Mark how he interprets it. One thing that is true, though, is that the challenge is always the same--it doesn't change from one challenger to the next (it's not as clearly stated in the ArM5 version as it was in ArM4, but it's still there).

Scott

Antonio: [color=red]I suppose that if Vis rationing is an issue, then we should table it for now and I will take it up in the Master's Council.

As for you, Titus, since you seem to have taken as your goal to one day become an Archmagus but yet lack enough knowledge of the Lore of our Order to understand us properly, I shall take it upon myself to mentor you and help you along with your endevur. I am honored that you have chosen to one day challenge me for the title, and I will be glad to accept you amongst us when you are finally ready. Meet with me after the General Council and we will discuss the matter some more.

Titus inclines his head towards Antonio and bows slightly "I'd be honored Archmagus, you have my thanks."

Antonio: [color=red]Well, if no one else has anything to add, I would adjourn this council and request that those of the rank of Master meet with Rodrigo and myself three days hence at midnight.

If no one objects, he adresses Titus
[color=red]Come with me. I have something to show you that you may find quite interesting...

Titus follows Antonio ( as does Cadoc ) his expression curious. However he politely holds his tongue, waiting until Antonio speaks.

Antonio: [color=red]Come with me. Antonio leads you down into the basement of the main keep, down below the cellar, past the catacombs and donjon, into the deepest recesses of the covenant, and past the Vault of Valdarius (which has been temporarilly walled over with conjured stone until we can repair the door).Then down a long hallway, back up some other stairs, through the donjon, into the basement, then down the stairs in a different part of the basement. [color=red]The two sections don't connect. This leads down into a tunnel into the side of the mountain. The Ice Chamber is embedded deeper into the mountain at a higher altitude, but if you could swim through rock, you could reach it by going... (looks around, then points) [color=red]That way. .

The tunnel leads down and around a short way, then you reach it. A normal size door, but made of steel. In this case, the door itself is enchanted, and will only open for a Knight of Seneca who bears the Brand of Andorra.

He throws open wide the door and you can see it in all of its eerie beauty. The Eternal Flame of Andorra!

Jets of flame are a natural occurrence throughout the world, resulting from fissures in the earth releasing natural gas and being ignited. The Oracle of Delphi was such a flame. In Mythic Europe, they also have great mystical significance. You stare at it, fascinated, overwhelmed by its power.
[color=red]This is the source of the great power of our covenant. If you wish to one day become an Archmagus, you must first understand that true power is like a light burning deep inside, a gift from God, not something you can simply demand. And with great power comes great responsability. The Eternal Flame can never be extinguished. This is most important, as there are countless enchantments and spells attached to it.
I suppose this is only tangentially related to your goal. I just like showing it off :smiley:
Consider it a token of my acceptance and trust in you. Also, I would like to extend to you a formal invitation to join the Knights of Seneca. Within our societas, you will find many who are willing to exchange training and resources with you. You will quickly learn the skills you still lack, and in turn would teach our skills to others. In addition, you would help train the apprentices of other Senecans, and you can locate an existing apprentice that you may adopt from a fellow knight.
If you accept, then I shall bring you with me to our next annual convocation, which this year is to be held at the ruins of Tagus Tower, as it tradition every seven years to do so. If my fellow Knights of Seneca accept ypu and you are elected, then Father Clemente will ceremonially baptize you in the Tagus River, and henceforth you shall be one of us. This is also a fast track to elevate you to the status of Master at this covenant, for upon our return to Andorra you are eligible to recieve the Brand (Antonio opens his shirt to show you the brand he bears upon his chest).

Vares is somewhat surprised at the abrupt end to the Council meeting. There are so many ongoing issues in and around Andorra, that he expected it to take longer. "Will we be reconvening after the Masters' meeting?" he inquires.