Chapter 1a: A Faerie Regio in the Temple of Neptune

Yes, it has taken a while for Viola to realize, but whoever is crying is also moving around the labyrinth.

In that case, let's pay careful attention to the direction of the sobbing at all times.

Viola turns to her guide. "Why bring me here? You want me to meet your Ma?"

Scott

The guide looks confused. "You were the one who asked to enter the temple. I have no desire to see her."

Viola pauses to think on this. "Yes, yes, indeed, I asked to enter the temple. Do you think if I see the temple at all, I should see the whole temple, or should I see only parts? And why don't you want to see your Ma?"

Scott

"Does that mean we can leave now? Ma finds visitors....upsetting."

Viola nods, "I think so. Are there any other parts of the temple to see?"

Scott

"Nothing else that I know of. There may be other places in this....maze, but I don't explore."

At that, Viola looks at the cat, wondering at her reaction to the statement.

Scott

(The cat appears to be being inscrutably cat-like in her response. Perhaps we should play on without redcat for the time being? I ping'd him a several days ago.)

OK...so what does the cat do, other than being inscrutable?

Scott

After Viola watches the cat clean herself for a few seconds, Cat leaps up onto the walls of the maze, and heads out, pausing every once in a while to see if you are both still following her.

Viola will follow the cat, all the while quietly cursing about the species' supposed curiosity and well-honed instincts.

Scott

That concludes Viola's first exploration of the regio. By the time she exits, it is well past midnight.

What's her assessment of its potential as a lab?

Scott

....?

I've described the space. We specified before I started running the adventure that you, as a player, wanted Viola to be interested in the space for her lab, and I agreed to try to provide that. I asked you what sort of virtues and flaws you were looking for in a lab before we started exploring it, but never got a response, and had to make something up. On page 17 of this thread, I said:

I'm not really sure what more you're asking me to say. Viola's actions, reactions and desires are for you to describe, not me.

Ruleswise, what Virtues and Flaws will the lab have, and what can she do with it? Maybe when I get a chance in the next couple of days, I can lay out what I think is possible, and then you can check it.

Scott

It's still not clear to me what sort of power scope you intend the campaign to have as a whole (for example, I don't know how many build points were used during covenant creation), or what particular brand of mythic flavor we're creating in the saga. I keep up on all the games in this forum, and the scope of power is radically different in all of them - in Ad Fons, it seems like a pretty gritty game, low build points, low-power fights are still pretty tough. Andorra, by contrast, has characters of a pretty mythic proportion.

I tried getting a sense of this during the other player's opportunity to design labs, and still don't feel like I understand what we're looking for as a campaign. I think it would help all of us if you were to throw together a lab design based on what you saw, the better to give us an understanding of what sort of options are kosher and what aren't. I'll certainly make sure your lab design gets some critical response and doesn't interfere with my long term plots for it.

OK, let me try to do that this weekend. I'm willing to make the labs slightly powerful, simply because they provide great color for characters. That being said, I really don't want this to be another Andorra (that's one big reason I don't play in the Andorra saga anymore), though it should be more powerful than Ad Fons.

I think there's a link in one of the other threads to a version of my Andorra lab--I don't think that's out of line, for the most part, though the Superior Tools and Equipment and Magical Heating and Lighting won't exist here unless someone makes provisions for them.

Scott