Chapter 1e: Visiting Fengheld's Library

"Well," says Horst between bites -- the man has a hearthy appetite, "the best books of the outer library are not up for copying. When one of our member who lives at a chapter house wants to study those, they usually visit for a few season to do so. Only exceptionnaly is a master allowed to bring one with him at a chapter house."

"I see, the chapter house isn't very far anyway.. Let's talk hypothetically. You happen to be a well known author, I suppose there's books and tractatii you have written in Fengheld library aren't there ? Could you decide to lend them to a journeyman assuming he's worthy of the privilege in your eyes ?"

"I wouldn't call myself well-known," Horst says. (OOC: Remember that this is over a decade before the material written in GotF, so he's not as famous or knowledgeable yet.) "And my work is mostly theorical anyway. But yes, you could certainly ask to borrow a book I've scribed. The restrictions primarily cover the most valuable Art summae in the outer library. These are the books that members are mostly likely to want to study, and that peregrinatores are willing to pay to study. That is why those remain here only and are not to be copied. If they are removed from here, then it denies access to them to other members and lower the attractiveness of our library to peregrinatores. And if copies are made, that it also reduces their value. Chapter houses are also more vulnerable to theft," Horst concludes, "as their defenses are not as extensive."

(OOC : forgot about the time difference between the book and the saga indeed)

(OOC: Anything more to discuss with Horst? In short, he'll approve temporary loans of older summae and tractatus, as well as a number of lab texts for each magus going to the chapter house. You can also choose to spend the time necessary to copy some more recent summae, tractatus or lab texts, in order to be able to keep them at the chapter house's library.)

(OOC : I'm done with him, he only brings conformation of what the librarian said. I'll meet Eule the next day's evening if possible.)

(Before or after the meeting with Renatus?)

(OOC : I'll meet her after the meeting with Renatus.)

Ludovicus thanks Horst for his hospitality and asks permission to make a copy of the best Vim summa he is allowed to make a copy of. ((He first plans to have a look at the summa, to see if he can learn anything from it, before committing his time to doing so.)) He also lists the lab texts for the ReVi spell to collect vis at a distance, the Ritual Communion, and the Bjornaer clothes spell (looking to Renatus for confirmation).

Renatus nods and adds " I believe this is all we'll need for our first year at the chapter House. Thank you. "

"See with Ludovicus as to what is normally possible. He will bring the list to me for confirmation," says Horst while dabbing his mouth. "The lab texts you mention should not be a problem." He then looks from Ludovicus to Renatus before adding, "Although, from what I understand, you are to leave for the chapter house at the end of summer, so you won't have much time for the copying. And isn't there three of you moving there? That seems a bit light for three magi who may want to spend some time studying. You should probably arrange for at least one summa each, even if those are older ones."

I was under the impression that It was impossible to borrow things for more than a year, If that's the case then sure we'll pick more books to study.

"Not necessarily," explains Horst as he eyes the plate of cheese, "it depends on how far the chapter house is, how senior the magus is, and how valuable the books are. A tractatus isn't the same as a summa, obviously. Nor is a primer the same as an advanced summa."

"And in any case, it is evaluated per magus, not per chapter house. Usually, a magus may borrow what he can reasonably study within a year, so as to be able to return the borrowed books in a timely fashion."

(OOC :I changed my mind, I'll visit Eule first, after nightfall. Maybe she'll provide advices on spells and books from the library. I'll visit Renatus Later. I let Ludovicus know so he can tell Renatus i'll arrive rather late in the evening.)

(What do you both do the next day, before the meetings?)

(With Horst information, I'll go back to the library to expand my options before I can speak with Eule and Renatus. if I can see the old aquam (and rego even possibly muto), and if primers can be borrowed (intelligo and animalem) and if some books are considered less valuable (and therefore easier to borrow) because they're written in Arabic. I'll also ask if the spell "Sculpt the Living Water" is available (probably not it's an invention from the prima Falke) or other similar spells that could me used to trap the gas from the souces, i'll also look for spells to see clearly in water, to swim better or move better in water and to resist cold from the water while diving (all of them working in Ibis form ofc) . I'll also try to meet Ursula to arrange some clothes that would fit the bog's humidity yet remain dignified (i'll try to bring Stefan if he's available to make the translation) and also Fabianus to ask what kind of lab equipment can be purchased to specialize mine at the chapter House and is there's a stock of materials available to make enchanted devices.)

((Ludovicus also goes to the library and spends his time looking through the Vim summae to see which one seems to be the most informative for him, and he looks through the Vim lab texts to locate those they will need. With any remaining time, he looks at the Rego summae that are available for study, and asks about procuring the materials necessary for copying texts. Because of his study requirement, and the fact that he will be living in a bog, he wants to be particularly careful to not ruin any original texts. So he hopes he will be allowed to copy a Vim summa, or a Rego summa, that he can still learn something from.))

(Does Ludovicus share his need for studying near the subject with Theodorus? On one hand, the head librarian may be able to identify books which the covenant doesn't feel important enough to copy, so that Ludovicus may not have to make a copy before he studies it. On the other hand, he might get more protective about higher-value books.)

((No, he doesn't. He is a bit embarrassed by having to study in situ, and he feels that the original works are too valuable to risk outdoors. So he's resolved to making a copy. Considering the limit of one season, and that his score in Vim is already 6, he'll have to copy quickly and take the hit in Quality. If there is a Vim summa with Level > 6 available for copying.))

(Is he looking to borrow a summa and bring it to the chapter house before copying it? Or copy it at Fengheld before leaving? I am getting the impression that the last is what you itend, but I want to be sure.)