Chapter 2: Back at the covenant

I meant that the season of work can give you information about what magical powers there are and how to activate them. As far you have not discovered any infernal taint that is obvious.

How about Base 4? Much like the InCo spell that allows you to locate someone if you have a map. I get back to you on how the monitoring goes once the visit is concluded.

The woman’s house is a small one and there are obvious signs of poverty, no husband in sight and a child about two years old. When the magi arrive she is outside trying to prepare some food. Both the woman and the child bear signs of malnutrition.

Caput will assign one of his "Social Grogs" to Nestor as a shield grog. He'll assign one of the older ones (age bracket 25). The sailor will be under instructions to guard Nestor from all threats, but try to be nonthreatening and stay in the background when he's talking to the woman.

ooc (most social skills at 3, chirurgury2 pre/cha=2, weapon skills=2, 3 when fighting in formation as a shield grog, str1/other attributes 0. +3 soak armor, normal bow+arrows, mace, buckler)

(this guy won't win any hard fights by himself, but might deter an aggressor by being present or his intimidate skill, and he can hold off threats for a round or two while Nestor does something useful)

Hm, lets see. For a momentary version of The Inexorable Search (Level 3: Locate a person to whom you have an Arcane Connection.) applied to Terram (which is what I'd need to check direction from time to time) that's a 15 point effect. I don't have the arts for that even in corpus, where I'm stronger than Te. (in4+11co+4sta=19) I could do a sight range version though (limited by line of effect+arcane link). Perhaps if I hide a drop of my blood or a fingernail clipping at waypoints along the way, and refresh it every month? Caput isn't the sort to worry overmuch about somebody using the link against him. Eventually he'll just know the route anyway and won't have to fuss with all this.

Atlas won't pursue the matter any further, for now, and will report to the other Magi and Maga that his Arts didn't discover that these are infernal, but that it may be so subtle that it's not discoverable without touching the items or greater arts. Since the council is also pursuing the maker of these items, he'll put them aside and keep them safe while continuing to construct his lab and await other news.

When his guard arrives, Nestor walks to the hut where the woman lives. He knocks the door and waits for her to open. When she does, he greets her in a friendly way and asks her to be allowed in.

ooc: if she doesn't open, he'll ask the neighbors about her. I assume that if she's a simple woman she'll either know he's a magus and react appropriately, or assume he's a member of the clergy.

The woman opens the door, look at you from head to toe and lets you in but asks that you leave your man outside (she nods at the guard). Both her and her house has clear signs of poverty. Once the door is closed behind you she asks about your errand.

Nestor says that he wants to know who makes the best ale in town (basically he makes small-talk and hopes to get her into chatting). He also casts a spell "Asking the silent question" on her to find out if thinks she is an infernalist.

ooc: deft mentem, no gesures or words needed, +17 casting total for a formulaic spell

She does not consider herself an infernalist and she doesn’t know anyone who makes good ale. But for a coin you can stay at her house, eat, drink and share her bed over night. She tries to look as seductive as she can despite her hunger marked body.

Nestor, now assuming that the woman is not dangerous, asks her about what she was doing at the site. He puts a coin on the table as he says it and informs her that there is a second one if she tells him all she knows about it.

She quickly grabs the coin and then replies. I was just taking a look as I heard the rumour that there where a big party of the strange scholars travelling there. She seems discomforted about the conversation.

"I can see when you're lying to me." Nestor says and casts "Posing the Silent question" again.

ooc: formulaic, deft mentem, cast inconspicuously (I hope I spelled that right).
Question: What were you doing at the site?

I am not lying to you, she replies and the turn of events cause her to take a step backwards. Now step out of my house you are no longer welcome here.The mind answers the silent questions “to see if the sacred ground where undisturbed”.

--

Up at the covenant there can be noticed that there is turmoil at the yard right outside the main hall. Servants and others seem to rush to the yard.

Nestor gives her the second coin and tells her: "You have done well. It is not good to talk about the sacred site with strangers. But as you can see, I am one of those who Know (he pronounces it with a a captial K), so you can tell me. Invoking my displeasure and the displeasure of the one I serve is not a good idea, believe me."

Awareness check to see if Atlas can hear the tumoil. His tower is a bit away from the yard (in my mind, correct me if I'm wrong). Per (0) +Aware(3)+ Die roll of 7=10. If he hears, he grabs his bag of sling stones and makes for the main hall's courtyard to see what the comotion is, pausing only long enough to cast the Wizard's Ward versus Steel Weapons.

OOC: I'm presuming there isn't an Aegis, right? Atlas would've noticed it upon arrival, and no one presented him with a token...

Please add an appropriate ability with presence and a stress die to see what happens.

Atlas notices the turmoil and will find at the courtyard that the tachers son fell from the roof. Hi a lie on the yard and his left leg is pointing in a very strange angle. The boy seems to have passed out and his father seems next to him looks devastated. A small crowd stands around and they are shocked by the accident.

Atlas cries out, perhaps a bit too loudly or what might been seen as angrily (given The Gift, his normal size, and his generally wild looking hair) "How in the name of Christendom did this happen?" Pausing to assess the situation, "someone else needs to be here. I think Kalliste has healing Arts, get her. I haven't the Arts or the skills for healing him.

"I'll create a stone sled which will allow us to move him, if necessary." Atlas moves to a spot next to the boy, but on the other side of the father and casts the spell observed Caput work at the infernal site.

Conuring the Simple Slab: base 3, touch +1 and sun duration +2, level 10 effect. Cr(8)+Te(15)+Sta(3)+aura(5) + die roll of 3=34/2=17th level. If no one arrives within a few moments after Atlas rests to recover fatigue, Atlas will ask the father if he should move the boy onto the slab to be transported to his home, although he will say he doesn't want to until the leg has been at least splinted, unless the father insists.
While waiting, Atlas take an opportunity to view the covenfolk, see if anyone is out of place or doesn't belong here.
Awareness is about the best skill I can come up with to use here Aware(3) +die roll of 7=10.

ooc: Appropriate?
Here's the statistics:
Gentle Gift, Pr +1, Com +5, Guile 2, Intrigue 3, Leadership 2
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3143832/
roll: 2
result about 6

Kalliste responds to the disturbance at the covenant as well and heads for the boy. When she see the bent leg, she carefully speaks. "Everyone back away so I can do what I must. This is going to hurt but we have to set it immediately if it is to heal straight." There is a reason that many of the coven like Kalliste despite her gift, she is more than the usually capable healer to tend the wounded. "He will have to spend some time not walking around. Give him tasks that keep him sitting until it heals. How did this happen?"

OOC Bind wound: silent, no gesture: ct 26+aura+roll 6: it goes off (thank you magical focus)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3143861/

Setting the bone: Int 2, str -1, dex 0 (not sure which applies here), Chirurgy 3 (bind wound Spec), roll 3
so 6+appropriate ability. If it makes a difference, confidence point
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3143867/

Purification of the Festering Wound: SIlent, no gesture: 26+aura+roll 3
successful for +9 to recovery rolls.

Caput is a bit late to notice, but will eventually wander out to see what the commotion is.

Doing his best not to draw undue attention he'll discreetly check to see what Kalliste did to treat the injury, and conclude there isn't anything his minimal medical skills can do to help beyond what she's already done.

As it appears to be a fairly normal accident, he'll soon fade back into his sanctum. None of his business.