Chapter 2: Fray's Journey to Nova Castra

[OOC: I don't think I've added a description beyond the initial one, so here is how Fray appears when Tasia meets him.]

As the room is almost bare, Tasia would find Fray sitting at a writing desk. As Tasia enters Fray rises, greets her, then asks her to sit.

"I suspect that most of my experiences as a Magus are non-exceptional, especially as a Follower of Bonisagus. I am English born and raised, being apprenticed only sixty or so miles from my birthplace. Master Amilica was very dutiful in my education and was very encouraging of my interest in transformations, even though this was outside her own background. And like many Bonisagus my apprenticeship was a shared responsibility between many magi."

"Shortly after my gauntlet I traveled to a small covenant called Woodenhall in Wales which was recently formed and joined with the Magi there, where I lived until recently. It was a covenant far more volatile than I was used to, and it took many years before the personalities of the Magi adjusted to each other. Being in the middle of the isles meant that resources were scarce, and we had to make do sometimes. I spent most of my time studying and avoiding the banter of the surrounding politics, as I really don't have a good head for it. "

Looking downward, but smiling slightly, "My wife always said that it was a good lesson for Magi to live simply and pragmatically, and I agree."

Fray's tone softens, and he sighs as he continues, "I really wish now that I had understood my brethren more, and perhaps circumstances would be different now.", pausing, "Sorry, I am being unclear."

He looks back up as Tasia, "My reason for coming all the way here is to start again."

"A handful of years ago Woodenhall's founder became embroiled a dispute over both magical resources and political self interest. Callser was the most political and eloquent of all the Woodenhall magi, and we trusted him. Jerbiton tend that way and he'd always been far more interested than I was. Over time I think he was baited by another magus into some sort of ongoing competition. He would tell us about meetings with these wizards and describe in detail his negotiation of the particulars. Callser was effective, and we started to see some benefit from his efforts. He also unfortunately let his pride get the better of him, and the baiting escalated into a very open animosity between Callser and two other Magi. One was a Tytalus from Loch Leglean, and the other a Verditius from Stonehenge."

"I don't know when the Wizard's War was officially declared, only that Callser seemed pleased with himself, in spite of the danger he'd put the covenant in. We all warned him to withdraw from the War or at the very least concede, but he wold not be moved."

"A short while later the Tytalus ambushed Callser on the grounds of the covenant, and attacked. The fight was altogether as violent and brutal as you'd expect, and poor Callser was outmatched. The Tytalus brought his ignem arts and was unrelenting in his attacks, even after Callser was clearly beaten. I was below ground in my lab, and didn't know of the attack until after it was concluded. The resulting fires almost immediately destroyed one of the main covenant buildings, and two of the covenfolk were killed when it collapsed. My wife was one of them."

His hands held tightly together, Fray begins to show tears, "The Quaesitory investigated, and I'm told that eventually Woodenhall will get some form of compensation for the damage. Compensation. I don't know if you have family or not Tasia, but I can assure you that the word is far more insulting than it sounds."

Clearing his eyes, and sitting upright, "I think that if I stayed in England I would seek the Tytalus, and I'm afraid of what that might mean. So I am here instead; as far from home as I could find, and greatly in need of distraction. Master Amilica told me that when she lost her husband her work was all that kept her, and I am hoping that she is right."

"So - I seek to be engaged in starting anew, and to be honest I really don't care as long as I am not idle."

Tasia frowns at Fray's tragic story, perhaps a little diplomatically. At loss for a moment as to how to respond, she finally decides on encouragement: "Well, I suppose this is a good place to make a new start. But what will you seek here on the edge of the Order?"

Scott

"Broadly speaking I intend to determine what is beyond the Order. "

"The 'edge of the Order' is not so much a real boundary; and not one which should restrict us. Many valuable discoveries and theories were blended into Bonisagus' theorem due to new ways of thinking. I can't help but think that keeping within our borders will also keep us refining and improving what we already have, and miss out on opportunities to truly innovate and change hermetic theory. So more of Trianoma's pathway than Bonisagus's, but both are key."

"So I am more than willing to do whatever will be helpful in developing the covenant as a true launching platform; and then either participate or lead discoveries into the lands and people beyond our 'the borders'."

"Beyond that I really don't know enough about how established you are to know what the next steps might be."

"What needs to be done?"

(Since no one responded to my last question, I'll just say that Patrick will return the to covenant that evening around dusk, and Fray can interact with him then.)

[Sorry, I missed it, or more probably, read it and then forgot it before I could decide how to respond. Yes, that works for Patrick.]

Scott

Tasia genuinely warms to this offer. "We have a covenant to build: we need to repair the buildings, deal with the flooding in the caves, recruit grogs, and explore the area--and right now, we're a bit short-handed. Under our charter, if you maintain your sanctum here for three unbroken years, the Council can make you a member, and we'd appreciate your help even before then."

Scott

Fray smiles again. "Well I can certainly help then. I can start some exploration of the surrounding area straight away, and if we can scavenge a lab together I am certain that I can craft tools that will greatly accelerate the build processes. We started from scratch in Wales, and I'd expect the challenges to be similar."

"There were many quality of life improvements we made in the first years that really helped. I'll send for my equipment, and have a think."

After a short pause, or no more other chatter, "Why did you opt to start here Tasia?"

Tasia smiles. "The Tribunal needed us, and so we came here. Is there anything else we can do to make you more comfortable?"

Scott

With a genuine smile, and raise eyebrow, "That would be the what, but not the why. But then new arrivals are to earn trust, not be granted it out of hand. I understand."

"Thank you for coming to see me so quickly, I think I will get a lab in order and start considering how to assist with improvements." Fray stands and bows slightly.

When Tasia leaves, if there are no more immediate visitors then Fray will take a flight around the area. Ranging to get an idea of the areas around the covenant.

OOC: Is the chamber where Fray is now also the Lab?

It's attached to one of the above-ground labs, though I believe at least one of the basement labs is both intact and vacant, and the auras are higher down there.

Scott

Then I'd be nudging toward using the better area, as it seems wasteful if it is vacant.

[I didn't think we had any above ground labs yet (just rooms which were too small)? My understanding is that the labs already set up and free are the ex-store-room lab on the first floor (size +0, aura 5), and the Terram lab on the second floor of the caves (aura 4 last time we checked, size > 0, will have to check how much bigger, quite near various blocked off tunnels with water behind them).]

It depends on precisely when he arrives, but I'm assuming that (re-)construction is ongoing aboveground, meaning more and more space is available--and Portia's rituals gave us the necessary equipment.

Scott

As the sun begins to settle in the west, Fray sees a hunter heading towards Tanais from the southeast. There is something that speaks of a kindred soul to Fray (both of us have Lost Love), though he probably can't tell what it is. Patrick is singing a mournful Irish dirge to himself, and possibly a nearby squirrel or something.

Fray will circle, then land close by, and watch for a short time to make sure the hunter is not dangerous. He'd stay as a bird unless he detects some sort of gift or other strangeness. Quite happy to watch.

If Patrick pays no mind to the crow, then Fray will hop and fly after him following him back to the covenant.

Patrick notices the crow fairly soon and greets him in a bit of birdsong (which I won't translate unless you have Animal Ken).

The Crow stops in its tracks, with its head tilted sideways. Now and then the mouth opens and closes, blinks once. Then as Patrick continues to recite the birdsong, the crow quickly morphs back into Fray's human form.

"Hello traveler, you have me caught to rights - I'm afraid I didn't catch most of that...". Whilst adjusting his cloak, " my name is Fray. Are you an inhabitant of Nova Castra"?

Patrick couches into a defensive stance and almost draws his blade as the unexpected magus transforms.

Behind Fray, Maeve steps out from behind a scrub brush far too small to have been concealing her, holding one of their babes in her arms. She croons softly to the child as she steps next to Fray and gives him a warm, welcoming smile.

Fray, of course, sees none of this.

"Oh, aye, ye did startle me. I do live among the ruins, tis true, my young changeling. I am called Patrick the Unrepentant. Sure'n 'tis a pleasure to meet you, and I judge by your accent that you're not from these parts yourself. Will ye....will ye walk with me for a spell?"

That last question seems not quite directed at Fray, as if part of it were meant for him and part were meant for some unseen figure by his side.

"yes, I am originally from Stonehenge, and only arrived today. It would be my pleasure to walk with you."

...as they walk, "I came quickly by wing from England, and now that I've arrived the Quaesitor has indicated that more exploration will be valuable. I fully intend to range widely and watch the inhabitants. It strikes me as both distracting and exciting."

..."Did you arrive at foundation?"