Chapter 2: Still Caverns Run Deep

Since it was a spont and your total was high enough, I gave you whatever you could get--among other things, it's faster that way. :slight_smile:

I'm going to assume Gregorius allowed Fray to cast the spell on the door--it doesn't seem to trigger anything.

He doesn't detect anything.

It's about half Vim, obviously. The rest is a mix of Rego, Corpus, and Terram.

Scott

[Okay. It's sun duration, so will continue until the next midday/midnight.]

"Vim, Rego, Corpus and Terram. The Vim may well be just opening it for investment. The other Arts seem like there might well be some sort of ward - maybe Ward Against the Curious Scullion? That's not that powerful a spell, though, so there'll be more to it than that. Not sure abou the Terram - I can't remember if reinforcing the door could use it, or whether it would have to be Muto or Herbam. Do you have anything you want to try, or shall we just risk it?"

He looks ready to go in first, unless Fray actively claims the position.

"let me armour myself, in case any wards happen to be physical, and then lets go in". Fray won't push aside Gregorius, but also won't dally.

Casting Formulaic of (a) Gift of the Bear's Fort. (CT +46 vs MuCo25) and (b) Doublet of Impen. Silk (CT +35 vs MuAn15).

In that case, the magi proceed into the sanctum...and, nothing happens. The furnishings are undisturbed...the place hasn't been ransacked; it doesn't even look like someone made a hasty exit. The one odd think about this sanctum is that the sanctum marker was placed on the outer door: that is, there's no public area, for receiving guess, and you've walked immediately into a magus's living quarters.

Scott

Fray looks surprised, and then to Gregorius and smiles, "well...somewhat of a boon to not find a dangerous protection in place. It looks as if it was just "left". If there are no other exits to concern us, I think we should carefully look around the lab and see who was last living here."

He then walks slowly into the chamber, trying to disturb as little of the area as possible, and keenly looking around the room.

[OOC: Looking for who was here, but also what might have been the nature of the work. Papers, books, desks, personal effects, etc. Per + Awareness (searching) is 2+d; 1d10+2=8 if applicable.]

[OOC: I think these posts are in the wrong thread?]

Gregorius will do similarly - Per 3 + Awareness 2 + Searching 1? + die.

I know I wrote a reply to this last night, but apparently somehow it didn't get posted.

The two magi enter the door to find ordinary-looking living quarters. It hasn't been ransacked, and doesn't even look like someone packed up to leave in a hurry.

One thing, though, is a bit odd: unlike most magi's chambers, this one has the sanctum marker on the outside door; in other words, there's no public area outside the living quarters and lab, for receiving guests.

Scott

[OOC: It did, and I responded to it, as did Ironboundtome (first). Our posts seem to have disappeared, though. Anyway, the gist of it was:]

Gregorius will look through the room - are there any books or notes, anything indicating anything about the magus? Also, is there a lab at all (I wasn't sure from your post)?

[Fray was going to do something similar.]

Yes, there's the ordinary collection of notes you'd expect in a magus's quarters. Without proper expansion by the author, they won't be useful in the lab, but they might include some valuable information. And yes, there's a door that probably heads to the lab.

Scott

I assume everything's still in range of what his earlier spell to detect spun vis through Hearing would have told him?

Well, now that you mention it, this next doorframe appears to be echanted as well. Actually, the door itself is hanging open, though due to its location within the adjoining room, Gregorius can't see much without getting closer.

Scott

Gregorius will have a quick look through the notes, then leave them to Fray as the Bonisagus. He'll then move towards the doorway to the laboratory, angling himself so that he can see through it but not yet touching it or going through it.

He'll also cast his vis analysis spells on the new frame:

[Amount of vis in the door at voice range: (InVi 10 - Base 4 + 2 Voice. Casting total (In 6 + Vi 5 + Sta 1 + G 1 + Aura 5? + die 9)/2 = 13.5, so works. (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4457072/)

Arts of the vis at voice range: InVi 10 - Base 4 + 2 Voice. Casting total (In 6 + Vi 5 + Sta 1 + G 1 + Aura 5 + die 9)/2 = 13.5 , so works. (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4457073/)]

It's going to take a much more detailed investigation to get anything worthwhile, but it looks like there are personal notes as well as lab notes.

It's almost identical to what you found in the last frame, with perhaps a pawn or two more of vis.

Scott

Okay - you said the door was hanging open? Anything interesting he can see through it? If not, he'll go in (carefully, trying to avoid touching the frame or the door).

What he sees is pretty interesting, if not especially useful: the entire lab is filled with rubble, evidently fallen from the ceiling. It's completely trashed.

Scott

Bah. That was not what he was hoping to see.

He cautiously sticks his head into the room, checking the ceiling to see if it still looks unstable.

[Oh, come on--you've already got five labs and equipment for six more, in a two-magus covenant. :stuck_out_tongue:]

The ceiling looks fine--in fact, it's not much cracked at all. Not that he's an expert on caves, but Gregorius doesn't think this cave-in looks natural.

Scott

[OOC: I'm not sure how apparent the fact Tasia's not coming back is at this point, and there are already Fray and Calliope staying at the covenant, even if the latter hasn't requested a lab. But it's mostly avarice. And the thought of having another lab out of their ten which they don't have to spend time setting up.]

He enters the room further, decidedly gingerly, and picks his way carefully over the rubble.

[Does "completely trashed" mean "can't even see the floor", or can he still see some of the old furnishings?]

He looks for where the stream enters the room.

if its obvious that the notes are too scattered, then Fray will leave them for now and come back to it. He'll continue to look through the rest of the personal effects unless he's called to help. Looking for any items of personal value, or an indication that the inhabitant either left their personal effects here, or has taken their valuables. i.e. did they leave intentionally? were they rushed?

I suppose they could also be crushed under the rock too.

It doesn't look like they ever left--there are a few personal items around, and no sign that any clothes or whatnot were packed up.

Scott