Chapter 2: Still Caverns Run Deep

It takes casting it five times. Mind you, when he's done, and Fray casts his spell, the magi still can't see through.

Scott

"Hmm. How big is this rock pile?"

Gregorius will start casting an Intellego Terram spell on the group of rocks which make up the blockage:

[Intellego Terram Base 2 (learn a visible property of an object - in this case, the dimensions of the rockpile, i.e. its size and shape) + 1 Touch + 2 Group + extra magnitudes to size = 5 + size magnitudes. Casting score is (In 6 + Ter 7 + Sta 1 + Aura 5 + G 1 + die 3)/2 = 11.5. So should work on a rockpile up to size + 1.]

It's about four paces thick--much more substantial than the other one.

Scott

Gregorius looks at Fray.

"The pile's about 4 paces deep - I'm inclined to just put the quarryers on it, and continue on up the waterfall. How long will your blockage of the water last?"

[MTKnife: What sort of time is it now?]

It's probably getting close to dark, since the magi had to wait all that time for the caverns to drain.

Scott

"We only have till sundown." Fray responds, and then continues, "I can recast shortly to get us more time this evening so we can continue onward".

Fray will recast, using fatigue to extend it to Moon duration.

• Effect = CrTe5 Level 1 is 10 cubic paces of clay, Touch +1, D: Moon +3, T: Ind. A basic shape so no harder than base.

• CT = (20+roll)/2. Cr 3, Te 7, Int 3, Aura 5, W&G 2.

• roll for cast 1d10=6, and then weird as 1d10=6

• total is 13 vs CrTe5.

"Hopefully that will be enough for our investigations, we have till the Moon changes."

Gregorius smiles.

"Thank-you." He gestures to the staircase. "Shall we?"

He begins climbing carefully up it.

"Indeed, let us see what other treasures the caverns are hiding," as Fray follows Gregorius up the stairs moving carefully to account for the dampness and lighting.

At the top of the waterfall is another passage that follows the course of the stream. After meandering for a few dozen paces, it passes through a natural-looking cavern. There are two more skeletons here, though it's hard to tell if they died in this chamber, or if they were washed downstream and caught against outcroppings here.

Scott

[Is Alcimus able to get up the stairway?]

Gregorius pauses to inspect the skeletons, and any remains of clothing or weapons they may have - his key questions are whether there any any indications that they were either magi or some of the covenant's attackers.

Barely, but yes.

He can't really tell--there are no weapons, but those might have been washed by the water to a different point than the bodies.

Scott

Gregorius considers his options with the corpses, and comes to the conclusion that there isn't much he can do to discover their identity that's within his capabilities.

"I'm trying to think of a good way to determine the identity of these bodies, but not getting very far. Whispers Through the Black Gate would be a third magnitude spell, so more than I can spont. Similarly, a spell to see what they looked like before they died would be beyond me. Do you have anything you can do?"

Assuming Fray doesn't have any bright ideas, he'll do another non-fatiguing spont to check the aura, and then move on.

Still 5, but we'll wait on Fray.

Scott

"more than a little beyond my skills here today too. Apart from keeping the bones from intermixing, all we can do is ensure they get proper burial after our investigations. I hope we do not find too many more poor souls in these caverns. Lets continue."

OK. Incidentally, this chamber doesn't appear to have been put to any particular purpose by the previous covenant, at least nothing that's evident to the magi.

The passage and stream continue at the opposite end, still meandering and sloping gently upward. After a bit, there's another spot where two streams join, with a passage following each branch.

Scott

Gregorius peers up each passage way, then in the absence of any reason to choose otherwise will proceed up the lefthand passage.

The left passage leads to the biggest room the magi have yet seen in the cave system: it must be dozens of paces across, and as high as a cathedral. Parts of the walls and ceiling have been carved with images that depict stories about what must be the god Poseidon, and an elaborate mosaic, similar to the one in the ruined temple, fills the center of the floor.

The old covenant appears to have used this chamber as a storeroom of some kind, but the furniture and other contents are smashed, or waterlogged, or both. There are also a few skeletons scattered around, much like those in the last room. At first glance, it seems unlikely that anything here might be salvageable.

Another passage leads out from the opposite wall.

Scott

Gregorius looks up at the room with a slightly impressed look - then spoils it by casting a non-fatiguing spont to check the aura.

"We'll have to get Viola down here..."

He'll do a quick spell to see if there's any spun or raw vis present:

[Both spells InVi Base 1 +2 Smell = 3, so he can do that non-fatiguingly (casting total In 6 + Vi 5 + Sta 1 + Aura, will add loud words and gestures in the unlikely event his aura check tells him it's likely to be needed). He may have to do this several times in order to cover the whole room.]

He'll also examine what's left of the contents - is there anything of particular note or interest?

Guess what? 5. :slight_smile:

No vis. It looks like a variety of stuff was stored here--not surprising, given the size of the room. The magi find the remains of lab supplies, food, and everything else needed to make a covenant tick. None of it is particularly valuable, and any writing, of course, wouldn't have survived all those years in the water.

It is however notable that the mosaic doesn't seem to have been covered up while the room was used for storage.

Scott

[OOC: One day, I am going to give him a bond enchantment which automatically triggers to enable him to sense the strength of an aura whenever the local aura changes.]

"Hmmm..."

Gregorius will examine the mosaic more closely. It could just be appreciation for the art, of course...

[OOC: There aren't any regio boundaries he can see, are there? Second Sight is Second Sight 3 + regiones 1 + Per 3 + Aura 5 + die = 12 + die

Also considering whether his Magic Lore (or Faerie Lore) tells him anything - Magic Lore 2 / Faerie Lore 0 (1) + Int 1 + die = 3 / 1 +die.]