Chapter 2 (Summer 1013). Hiding under Hadrian's Wall

«Last year,» says Caela, now sounding impatient.

Ealhstan, piping up from the other end of the table, says, "Caela, I am curious why your fields seem so verdant. The rest of the land I have seen here seems plagued by hunger. Are you protected? Are you using magic to have this effect on the local fields?"

So the lands are war torn? I suppose they have been raided by marauding armies. We have been able to defend our fields, and the Diedne have not dared approach for several years. If the magi do not return soon, however, I am afraid this may change. What else can you tell from your journeys?

"I first set foot on The Isle from Italy again in Southhampton, via ship from Bordeaux. Much seemed the same as when I left so many years ago but then I didn't really leave the port. The people seemed weary though, on edge, scared. It was only a day before I was able to book passage to Dublin which seemed untouched and then another boat to Chester. I spent a week there and it was much changed but with trade and fishing it seemed the people were fed, if not well fed, but again, weary and somewhat broken. I saw preachers on the street railing against witches and sorcerers and darker things and the people were nodding in agreement of the calls to fight these scourges... but the fear held sway and I saw few approach to join the fight against these bogeymen. An odd thing I noticed in these sermons, if one can call them that, misused and misspoken words that led me to believe that The Order and the DIedne were included in these calls against dark magics. I spoke with my friend, Brother Aethelred who brought me to the attention of the Guernicus in the first place. It worried him, these new calls against the sins of magic for he knew that even some of The Lord's chosen, such as King Solomon, used their magic for good and that magic itself was not the sin these men spoke but the fear was too strong and killed reason and the arguments for restraint of people such as himself. Quickly he quit speaking up. He told me all this in a whisper, seemingly afraid of those same men of God were listening even then, alone on the road we were walking down," Ealhstan shakes his head in sadness then performs the sign of the cross wile mouthing a silent prayer, "I was able to procure the horse I rode on and traveled quickly attempting to avoid major settlements when I could. As I entered Northumbria and made it further north the fields looked worse and worse and the faces hungrier and hungrier. The Christian in me cried out to feed them but I had no idea how much food it would take to arrive here an I knew I was needed in Luciu's mission, to find the devil spawn Diedne to find and root out the dangers they were hiding. When I approached Ungulus yesterday, I was shocked by the fields here, green and verdant, but I had run out of food the day before and was merely happy to be welcomed with a hot meal and a patch of grass for my thin horse. It is only today, My worry about Our Lucky," he says with a wry smile, "kept me from asking too many questions or even doing much more than resting from my travels."

2 Likes

Thom listens to Eahlstan's account of his travels, attentive to Hermetic references and details in particular.

"This man's account is consistent with little I have heard. I hid away in regio with my parens during the worst of it. I ventured out a few times to hunt or check on the local village, but we kept to ourselves. No need to draw attention."

The young magus gestures to Edwin and the shield grogs. "Our first significant contact with others came when Master Luciu and his retinue found me near the Wall. I chose to strike out with them since there was nothing for me at what's left of Castrum Antiquum."

Thom looks back at Caela. "The villages are desperate along the Wall. Hunger and famine. Fear. We were set upon by brigands on the road but fought them off but not before Master Luciu was injured."

Thom takes a drink before his eyes brighten with a smile.

"Oh! We saw a giant. Heading north over the Wall."

A loud knocking is heard at the main door and a somewhat muffled voice can be heard “Janus of house Flambau seeks entrance to this covenant”.

1 Like

One of the covenfolk open the door, and Caela stands up to greet him. How does Janus appear? In particular, does it look as if he has enjoyed the comforts of warm beds and libraries, or as if he has fought his way through hostile lands? (You can make up whatever story you want.)

Janus appears to have travelled long and hard, with a rough, unshaven face. He looks tired and his backpack and water skin are clearly not well stocked.

Caela studies the tired traveller.

Welcome, Janus; please join us. There is more food on the table. I am Caela filia Tacitus and constable of Ungulus. Do you come from the front? Do you have news?

Studying Janus' tired appearance, she quickly adds,

no worries; you can eat first, and I hope we can talk afterwards.

One of the resident grogs appears to help Janus with the luggage and find him a seat at the high end of the table. While he eats, he gets a recap of the news already exchanged, and Caela adds her follow up questions.

A giant, Thom? On its own? That's rare; usually they march in groups. Was it on the run from something? Where was it headed?

Do you have anything to add, Luciu? Do you know if all of the Diedne have been eradicated in England?

When Janus is fed and has had a chance to draw his breath, Caela, and maybe everybody else too, is eager to hear his story too.

Janus eats his fill, obviously hungry. When he notices Caela waiting for him to speak he clears his throat. “Well, when I left the group I travelled north of the wall and caught signs of Giants a day or two north. I managed to track it to a camp it was sharing with a small group of armed men. I observed them for a while and determined they were what was left of a Diedne war group. I decided to try and catch one of them alone to interrogate as to the whereabouts of his Diedne masters. Unfortunately as I tried to get in to position they spotted me and attacked. The soldiers proved little trouble but the giant was another matter, it threw a few boulders my way before I managed to scorch it. It retreated in to the woods and obviously knew the area as it managed to give me the slip, even given it’s size. I spend another week sweeping the area but found no other signs of the giant or any sign of Diedne forces. Without knowledge of the area or support of those who had that knowledge I realised I was wasting my time and headed back south until I reached the wall. From there I made my way here”. Anything else you want to know?

Do you know where this was? Coming from the East, I suppose you did not go as far as Dumfries!? My main concern is where Tacitus' group has ended up. I know they ran into a battle North of Dumfries last year, and that's the last I know.

“Is Dumfries more than a small hamlet? If so I did not get that far. The biggest place I came across was only five cottages and had nothing to sell for coin in the way of food, though they did let me use their well”

You really had a rough ride, didn't you? I think Dumfries must be larger but I have never been there. The fate of Tacitus remains a mystery then.

I am afraid I did not come across any sign of hermetic magi, allied or Diedne, so I can offer no update to you.

"Yes, a lone giant. Looked to me like it was heading north past the wall. It may have been injured," answers Thom. "We saw it a ways off and decided," the young man looks over at Luciu and Edwin, "that we best leave it be. We didn't see anything pursuing it but that doesn't mean much. We didn't get close enough to find out. Really the only thing that seemed at all magical was that pesky raven. Well and the nisse with the goats."

An injured giant, was it escaping from a battle? Do you know of any recent fighting further South?

“I engaged in a battle with the Diedne and their allies near Leeds last season. Losses were heavy on both sides but we prevailed” relies Janus

Caela inquires further about this battle. Janus' (and everybody else's) memory is hazy, for this was the fiercest and most chaotic battle they have every fought. There were giants, legendary beasts, and warlocks, and when Janus and the other survivors passed out, it was because they were exhausted and not because the battle was over. Thus, when Caela asks if any of the Diedne survived, there is no way to know, although, it was the magic beasts and giants who dominated the field towards the end.

Luciu, do you know more about this battle?

Edwin takes the opportunity to tell of how horrific the carnage was, and how difficult it was to recognise corpses and what had befallen them when going over the battlefield afterwards. He also laments the fall of the covenant of the White Horse, loudly bemoaning the loss of such a beautiful covenant that was a jewel of the order.

2 Likes

At the other end of the table Ealhstan listens raptly and crosses himself at the stories of giants before whispering to Jack, “I might like to see a giant one day,” making it surprisingly clear that see is all he’d like to do with one. “Did you see it?”

1 Like