Chapter 2 (Summer 1013). Hiding under Hadrian's Wall

The Old Wizard thinks for a while. «The pleasure is mine, my dear. Do not worry about me. I have a book to write. And then I hope you send word when you have settle, and tell me what has become of the world. Then we'll see. It may be time to explore, but not yet to make plans.»

Edwin has packed up, and asked the grogs to try and herd goats. If we can't persuade the goats to come with us, then we shall kill one for meat and try and smoke as much meat for the road as possible.

"Of course I'll send word," confirms Thomas. "Please be careful. I'm still not sure what is happening with this war. We saw a giant heading north of the wall today. Just the one, but best to be on the alert. And the goat shed down in the village is being tended by a shy faerie. Likely a regio entrance but I didn't stay long enough to introduce myself."

The young magus continues packing up what little food he can, as many arrows as he can comfortably manage, traveling clothes, etc.

"As soon as I can, I'll send word. But I have no idea how long that will be or what we'll find."

After finishing up his packing and the last words with his parens, Thomas will set out at sunrise to meet the others.

«Why do you think there would be a regio entrance? What did you see to suggest more than the barn goblin?»

"I just had a feeling it might be," says Thomas as he tucks something into his pack. "I guess it could be just tending the shed and the goats there. It might even have been calling those goats to the shed. I followed one that wandered right over to the shed."

Thomas shrugs.

"But maybe not. If we had more time, I would have made my greetings and learned a bit more from the barn nisse. Seems a little odd that he would be there in that old village. No on has lived there for a while except for these travelers."

«That's the thing about barn nisse,,,» The mater cuts herself short. «Never mind, let me not keep you. You have to get going before the exit closes on you. Best of luck.»

1 Like

Thomas takes a few steps away from his parens toward the exit and then turns back.

"Thank you. For everything. Maybe we'll meet again in Arcadia." Thomas smiles as he looks on Mildred ex Merinita, the Old Geezer, the Old Wizard, and the center of safety of his world.

The young magus turns to go, stepping past an empty chair and then out the door. The parens might see the shimmer of tears in his eyes or the spring of anticipation in his step as Thomas heads off toward a new and unknown future.

"So friends, I can only think of covenants south west of here, up in the hills. It's the best time of year for travel, so we may as well go now." Edwin tries to get the grogs ready to move.

Ungulus is more West than South West. The obvious route would be back to Corbridge, where you came, and then further along the wall. The ancient road is rumoured to be driveable for the most part, even if it has been overgrown where you have travelled. (Then there are the two covenants in Wales which would be further away, and the one (not counting the fallen white horse) back under Eadric's thumb.)

Thomas returns with his pack the next morning, about two hours after dawn.

Having packed the carts, the grogs lead the goats out on a leach to tie them to the carts, forming a little caravan. Those who pay attention will note how they look back towards the shed, and Thomas can see the rueful little faerie looking after you from door.

Thomas looks back towards the shed and then says, "Just a moment" before he jobs back with a friendly beckoning wave to the figure in the doorway.

As he gets closer, the young magus calls out: "You're welcome to come with us if you want, goat friend! I'm sure they would be happier! What do you say?"

Luciu is in favor of heading to the southwest. Does he have premonitions of danger associated with any of the covenants or possible paths?

Thinking about Cad Gadu and Blackthorn, they are far away. The obvious route is overland, not deviating too much from the proverbial flying crow. It is a long way, and the future is dim. You know however, that both are single-house covenants, respectively of Ex Misc and Tremere, and are likely to have some particular agendas.

Considering the alternative, of going West to Ungulus, and possibly teaming up with a redcap to go South by ship, Luciu is suddenly overwhelmed by doubt. Is the War really over in this area?

Every option seeming dangerous, Luciu decides to go for the closest.

"Let's head to Ungulus. Whenever Thomas gets back."

When the magi pack up, it becomes clear that Janus will not join. He intends to scout out the lands North of the wall for more enemies. Travelling light, with no cart of his own, he expects to be able to cover quite some area and still join you at Ungulus later.

The little faerie is reluctant,but looking around as the place is cleared out, he suddenly rushes over and climbs up the goat's wool to ride on its back. Still invisible, only Thomas sees him.

The all is set to return through your tracks to Corbridge. Please post to let me know if I have forgotten something, and I shall be back with a real encounter shortly.

Thomas smiles as he sees the faerie goatherd mount up, heading back to join Luciu, Edwin and the others.

"All set! Where are we off to?"

Luciu responds, "Corbridge, then to Ungulus, if I'm understanding the geography correctly. It's never been my strong suit, to be honest, that's why I rely on Edwin so much."

You return to Corbridge much as you came, with no surprises, and join the ancient road from York just East of the the town. Last time you past by Corbridge, you kept a low profile, with no need to enter the town at all. This time, you are bound for the Westbound road from the far end of town. Going around the town will take effort, and a lot of effort if you want to avoid the farmfolk around the town too.

Corbridge is walled. Some of the ancient Roman fort is intact, and the rest seems to be makeshift repairs. No change since the last time you passed by, as far as you notice. The walled town is rectangular, with the Roman road entering in the middle of the long wall.

How do you proceed?

Edwin will go up to the gate first, and ask about transit through the town. If anyone asks why, he will say they sold all their goods to buy a few goats (and point at the goats) and say they have nothing left to trade in town, he just wants to get west.

Thomas stays tucked back by the goats, trying not to draw attention to himself.

Luciu also stays in the background, sitting next to the grog who is driving the cart.