Chapter 2 (Summer 1013). Hiding under Hadrian's Wall

Thomas listens to both Edwin and Luciu, his expression still grave. He says softly to Edwin, "I'm sorry you lost your home. Something we have in common, I guess."

His troubled expression turns hopeful at Luciu's invitation with the young man taking a step forward.

"You're serious? I can join you? Really?" After a moment, his excitement softens. He looks back toward the wall before continuing.

"I doubt she will come. The war has taken a heavy toll on Mildred ex Merinita. She's more likely to go deeper into Arcadia if she doesn't slip into Twilight. She lost so much…"

Thomas looks at both men. "I will join you, if you'll have me. I don't have much to offer. The Geezer gave me a small dowry, but we have no covenfolk left. And the soldiers… They are lost too."

Luciu frowns. "It's sad to hear about Mildred, but I understand. I suppose some similar fate awaits us all, eventually. The soldiers - do you think the ones I met were your former covenfolk, but have forgotten you?" He describes where on the wall he was when he met them. "I meant to search for the covenant that was on the Wall, but I suppose I've found it. So we will probably move on soon, now that we've grown and gathered enough food to have supplies for travelling again. And of course, you will come with us, if you wish to." He smiles at Thomas.

"No, those soldiers are ancient Romans," says Thomas to Luciu's question. "We found them when Castrum Antiquum's earthly link was severed in the assault. Mildred and I hid there in the regio alongside them with what little was left of the covenant's assets. No laboratories, no library to speak of. Just the two of us…"

Thomas nods seriously to Luciu. "You accomplished your mission. You found what was left of the covenant you sought at the Wall."

The young man takes a deep breath. "When do you think you will move on? I will go gather my things and say my farewells to Mildred. The sooner I do that, the better I suppose."

As Edwin and the magi discuss their origins and their destinies, one of the grogs shout. «Look masters.»

He was carrying firewood across the yard when he suddenly stops and points down into the valley. It is not easy to see, for it is half a mile away, but something is surely moving. A figure, rambling erratically up the valley towards the border, keeping their head above the treetops ...

"Wait, is that a giant?" says Edwin, fearful that a figure with their head above the trees must be significantly taller than the people he's met so far. He's heard tales of the Diedne having giant allies, and hoped they had all died in the war.

Thomas looks in the direction Edwin indicates. "Looks like it. The Geezer said the giants were marching again, but I don't think I ever heard anything about them marching one by one."

He watches the distant giant, trying to figure out the direction the creature is heading. Toward them? A place to cross the Wall? Somewhere familiar to the young Merinita?

The giant folllows the the valley which leads towards the wall. Your little hamlet is in the hillside, rather secluded in the woods and not on anyone's natural path. The giant was already past your nearest point on the path when you spotted him. Crossing the wall is generally easy in this area; there is so much damage. He is not moving fast, and he seems to take frequent, even if short, breaks.

Luciu stares in awe. He's never seen a giant before, and the sight is both fascinating and terrifying. "Where do you think it's going?" he asks. "Are they intelligent?"

"I would think it has some kind of intelligence," says Thomas as he continues looking. "I wonder if it's injured. It keeps stopping."

The blond young man watches it for a bit longer, curiosity overcoming fear.

"Should we go talk to it?"

1 Like

"You can go talk to it", says Edwin, "I have better sense than to meddle with something that could grind my bones to make its bread."

1 Like

Luciu nods. "I quite agree. I would rather it doesn't notice us at all."

"I suppose," nods Thomas, still watching the giant in the distance.

"Why would they even be involved in the war?"

After a moment, Thomas shakes his head and turns away from the giant. "Enough of war and giants. Goats are more my speed. At least they won't grind our bones."

The young man looks back at the goat shed, letting his Second Sight inform his investigation of the place where the goat wandered.

Ever curious, Thomas goes so far as to look into the shed through a nearby window or opening.

"Do you have a goatherd among your retainers?"

[Roll Per+Second Sight please, difficulty 7. EDITED after success.]

It is not easy to see, and it takes quite some time to study the shed from different angles before Thomas sees anything, but there, in the dim light, is a little fellow, two or three feet tall, wearing olive green woolen cap and knee-long trousers, and a knitted jersey in dark grey and white. He is silently mucking out the shed with a small shovel, but once he sees the magus watching he stops and moves swiftly out of sight.

After spending time looking into the shed, Thomas smiles with a simple nod and then steps away from the shed.

"That explains it," he says as he walks over to Luciu and Edwin.

"When do you think you'll be heading out on the next step of your journey?"

Edwin says "Well, I think Luciu wanted to see the inside of that Roman fort one more time, to try and get more insight into what happened to get them stuck there. After that, we've no reason to hang around while the weather is good."

Luciu shakes his head. "I mostly wanted to investigate further in aid of finding the covenant, and if the covenant were found, perhaps recruiting those soldiers to become our turb. But I'm not sure how to earn their loyalty, any lie would end badly, and I have a feeling they would view the truth as just a trick. I doubt we'll be able to convince them to leave their post, and if we try and fail I think they're likely to assume we're Pictish spies and kill or imprison us. Let's just head to the other site. Maybe we can leave tomorrow - we need to pack up whatever food we can, and then we can leave at dawn."

Thomas listens to Edwin and Luciu, nodding. "The regio opens at sunset and sunrise. I'll say my farewells to my parens and gather up the dowry and any other travel gear I can carry. We have no animals or covenfolk, sadly. I'll meet you as soon as I can after sunrise." He turns to go and then looks back.

"In case you didn't see it, the goat shed here has one of the Fairfolk tending it. Might be wise to be a little cautious," adds Thomas. "He's a bit shy."

Thomas then starts off back into the woods and the direction of what remains of the covenant.

Is this to say that you pack up to head West for Ungulus? Any precautions before you hit the road? Bring what you brought? Leave goats and faeries behind?

«So it is time, filius?» says the Old Wizard when Thomas returs. «It is the natural course of things, I suppose. They are good people, I hope. Who are these sodales?» The mater is full of questions, but says nothing to discourage. «Where do you plan to go now, Tommy boy?»

Thomas gathers up his things as he speaks to the Old Wizard.

"Yeah, I think it's time. The war stranded us here. No lab to speak of. No resources anymore. Long term, it does no good to stay. I'm sorry. The sodales I met seem a bit like me: wanting a new start. They are searching out covenants to see what remains after this war. They want to build something out of all this wreckage. A place to build a community and continue our work. I hope they are good people. They seemed nice enough. I guess I'm trusting them a lot. And what you taught me."

Thomas looks back at the Old Wizard for a moment. "Thank you. For everything, Master. What will you do now?"