Chapter 2: Through a glass darkly

(if the original attempt to spont the Summon Mouse spell didn't work)

Cygna grinds her teeth, clenching and unclenching her fists as she tries not to growl. Then she tries again. This time it's even worse: to summon the wee mousey (1d10=2), for a total of 7/2 = 3 or 4.

She slams her hands on the table. "It's a stupid mouse!" she yells. "How hard can it be to summon a stupid mouse?" She then looks in the direction of the wall over the circle in the corner and points. "Don't laugh...it isn't funny!" She pauses for a moment before continuing. "If you think you can do better, than do so! If not...then back to Hell with you!" With that, she grabs the closest thing to hand...which is the inkwell, with the top replaced when she finished writing the note, and lifts it as though she were about to throw it. After a moment, she nods firmly and puts it back on the table.

She looks around at the others. "Anyone else have any ideas?"

You actually see a mouse and it scuttles towards you, but when it is two paces away, it sniffs the air and runs away.

Viscaria's lens experiment returns the lens whole an unharmed. The mirror does not deactivate right after it.

What about the cord-length stuff? Any strange pulls on the cord, sense of a floor being present, etc? The idea was to get an idea about the floor on the other side while dragging the piece back.

I also assume that the ring-duration spell on the edge of the glass is still intact?

Viscaria's lens is still glowing. It is still attached to the lens. The lens is still glowing. You were fishing in the fog. Nothing supernatural or magical at all happened to them.
The lens didn't encounter any solid obstacles (walls, bodies, whatever). It didn't fall "down" - it seems like walking onto the fog is possible (nor did you see the others fall when they went into the fog. They stepped through the mirror, were ingulfed by the fog and gone).

"Aha!" Cygna exclaims and jumps to her feet. She half-runs to the other room and proceeds to strip the sheets from the beds and drags them back into the mirror room. She takes two sheets and ties them together by the corner, making the knot as strong as her mighty -1 Strength can manage, then proceeds to tie the third sheet to the double-sheet by a corner - in effect, making a chain. She then kneels on the floor, ties one end of the chain to the table leg, and stands up, brushing off her knees.

"Very well...who wants to go through next? Or shall I?"

edit - pretty much nullified by subsequent posts, but redone after the mouse sequence

Seeing that the mouse is getting away , Serrano grabs a piece of linen from his belt pouch and incants ,
his gestures made as if cutting & sewing a garment.
OoC : worksheet

The linen flies from his hand shrouding the hapless mouse and forms an elegant , if plain , hooded cloak , nearly two feet long.

OoC: any chivalrous or knightly types in the room , may now more easily capture the Quested Beast to present to a distressed damoiselle.

The mouse squeals and tries to escape but it should be easy to grab her now.

Cygna springs over to where the finely-garbed mouse is and tries to grab it: Dex 0, Brawl 1, and a roll of 1d10=9, for an Attack Total of 10.

(Hopefully) Scooping up the mouse, she chitters at it in Mouse. "You go through mirror? You tell us what you see?" She holds the mouse and looks around to the others, expecting someone to whip up a harness and lead or some such to attach to little Stuart.

(ooc: Yes! Finally, a decent roll!)

Stuart tires his best to bite Cygna but his first attempt fails.

"Perhaps this will help"
Serrano breaks off a tiny piece of goats cheese and hands it to Cygna

Cygna shakes Stuart gently. "No, bad mouse! No bite! You help, I feed, yes?" (still speaking with Animal Ken).

"Thank you," she says to Serrano as she takes the piece of cheese and offers it to the mouse. "See? I feed."

The mouse goes rigid with astonishment when it hears the huge meat-bag speak his language but relaxes somewhat when he gets the cheese.
A moment later, his mouse-sized brain has forgotten everything but the cheese.

Cygna looks around once more, in vain hope that someone has a harness rigged up. Seeing none available, she carries the mouse over to the mirror, presses the symbols to activate the portal, then thrusts her hand (holding the mouse) through to her shoulder.

She slowly counts to 100 (one Bonisagus, two Bonisagus, three Bonisagus, etc) then pulls her hand back from the mirror.

<<What you see?>> she asks Stuart.

(ooc - I think I'm going to use the << words >> to distinguish speaking with Animal Ken from speaking Human)

<>, the mouse replies. <<Can I have some more cheese?>>

Cygna reaches for a piece of cheese and feeds it to the mouse before setting it back on the floor.

"He says there's not but fog on the other side, that he could see." She sighs. "So, it seems that it is as safe as anything else."

She goes to the other room and proceeds to strip the sheets from the beds and drags them back into the mirror room. She takes two sheets and ties them together by the corner, making the knot as strong as her mighty -1 Strength can manage, then proceeds to tie the third sheet to the double-sheet by a corner - in effect, making a chain. She then kneels on the floor, ties one end of the chain to the table leg, and stands up, brushing off her knees.

"Very well...who wants to go through next? Or shall I?"

Yells from the kitchen
"Leave not this hovel unsupplied!"
"Bread , cheese , water , wine , dried lentils , flour , bacon."
"Enough for a day or two."

"We have now spent nearly a full day dawdling at the door to this mystery. I say we push all our supplies through, while leaving our note with Father Pierre, and then we all step through.

Viscaria seems rather dismayed at her own words, but determined to Do Right.

"[color=red]Isn't that what we're doing with that?" Cygna says, indicating the letter on the table.

She takes the parchment, pen, and ink, and writes some more.

She then goes to where the provisions are and proceeds to divide them into two piles, as evenly as she can. When she's finished, she puts one pile into a bag or pack and carries it into the Mirror Room.

She drops the sack at Serrano's feet (assuming he's moved into the mirror room...if not, on the floor next to the table) and says, "[color=red]Be a dear and bring these with you when you come through. And please keep the portal open behind you."

So saying, she grabs the makeshift rope, stands before the mirror, bows her head and says a quick prayer, crossing herself Eastern-style, activates the mirror, takes a deep breath, and steps through.

Checking to make sure the doors and windows are all shuttered , food sealed against rodents and such ,
no personal items left behind , Serrano goes outside to mow the grass before he leaves.

OoC: Results

Viscaria waits for Serrano, checks to see what happened with the rope, and then enters the portal alongside Serrano.