Chapter 2a: Renatus Ibis

"Studyin? Oh yes, well," Eule says absentmindedly, as she pick up a small drumstick from a platter of finger food that has been left on a small table. She waves the drumstick around as she speaks, then looks at it with a rapacious eye before taking a small bite. "You were saying? Ah yes, study! Well, I have been preparing myself to teach my next apprentice, of course! A small refresher on theorical basics of Hermetic magic, always useful when one expects to have to explain these to a newly hatched bird. Taking some notes, also." She smiles at you, "How goes the search? Have you located any potentially gifted youngster in your travels?"

Renatus notices that there is a bit of dust on the book standing open on the lectern.

He shrugs "I've spent my seasons collecting vis and developing the chapter House, because that's my assignment. Also It is located in a bog, so I've met no one and even if I did, I remind you that I can barely speak German for now. I know I accepted to "keep an eye open" should the opportunity arise but that's not the case yet sorry."

"Oh," the old maga looks disappointed, "well, keep looking please. I would very much like to start training another apprentice soon, and the redcaps seem to have trouble locating a suitable child for me." She looks at you with large liquid eyes.

With a sigh, she changes subject, "How goes your integration into our covenant? Is there anything I could advise you on?"

Renatus looks back with compassion. "May I ask you why you want to start teaching a new apprentice, that's a long process and you've already succeeded with Lupus who's a respected magus already, inside and outside our House."

"I get on well with the others, even our new peregrinator but I regret that he can't share the burden of collecting vis with us 3, instead of spending a season collecting vis from the aura to pay for his status. We're spending a third of our season collecting vis so we're trying to find a way to make it more efficient so grogs can take care of most of the task, but for now the season is not really suitable for hermetic activities. We've also discovered that the labs we've built are considered "common labs" so with the new peregrinator coming who gets priority on these labs, we're now missing a decent lab.

I guess one of us will have to make another lab... Anyway as for the advises, you suggested we could ask prima Falke to lend us a copy of the lab text "Sculpt the Living Water" is that something you could help me with ?"

"Oh, Lupus was only my latest apprentice. I trained two more before that." She sighs, "They are both gone now. Santerax, that was my second apprentice, was taken by early Twilight only a few years ago. Poor Cygna, my first apprentice, died a long time ago, only a few years after completing her Gauntlet. She was such a gentle soul."

On the subject of the chapter house, she says, "Really, you built labs for visitors as covenant service before setting up your own? That was a bit foolish, I guess, but I'm sure something could be arranged. Perhaps you should propose something different as service in exchange for making one of the lab yours?"

"As for Sculpt the Living Water, I will send an inquiry to see if we have a copy of that lab text in the inner library. Barring that, I will send a letter to Falke and see whether she could arrange one for you. Check back with me the next time you come around." Her smile is beginning to look tired. "For now, I need to stretch my wings and go out..." With that, her eyes close and she starts nodding off.

As she nods off, he leaves the place, unwilling to wake her up for foolish question.

(What next?)

I'll leave a message for Lupus asking to see him briefly tomorrow before leaving.

I'll tell him I know understand why he's so protective. I'll also tell him I won't search for an apprentice, but assuming someone in the chapter House finds one in his expedition without specifically looking for one, I will ask him whether he knows a Bonisagus in the tribunal willing to take the apprentice from Her as a backup plan.

Günther nods and simply says, "Good, that seems workable."

Other than that I don't have anything specific to do anymore so I'll go back to the chapter House.

As he was gone less than a week (4 days total), his outing to Fengheld has no impact on Renatus' seasonal activities (unless he participates in another one).