Chapter 2c - Winter 1228 - In Search of a Singer

[OOC: Bear in mind that treacherous isn't necessarily at all the same thing as "obviously unpleasant" - it's a lot easier to betray someone if they like and trust you, after all.]

(OOC - I missed that Theo is "Humble" - so he should have been consulting the brothers more than he's been, and being less authoritative. My bad - that change is starting with this post.)

Assuming their stomachs are settled from the boat trip, Theo will readily order food (after first asking what it is), and see if the common room accommodations, or if that rate, at least their fare, can be made a little cheaper if they're staying for several days. Now that he's heard that the singer is coveted by the innkeeper, he may be in for a longer stay, and in a private moment shares that with the others.

"If this Aye-talian wants him so bad, it may be an uphill battle to pry him away. So, for now, maybe we should play our cards close to the vest - we find out all we can, make friends with this singer, see what he values, and above all don't let him..." jerking his head back towards the innkeeper, "... get any hint of what we're up to. Don't need a bidding war... what do you two think?

"If anyone asks, we're... we're waiting to meet someone, someone coming in by boat, who told us to meet them here. That's more than anyone else needs to know...

"If it all goes to plan, and depending what Viola has in mind, he'll be free to come back here by Summer or so anyway."

As to the question of their swords, he puts some thought into it, and suggest they hang on to them for now, at least until he has a sense of the other "guests" and any crowd that comes at night. Any cutpurses might - hopefully - be less likely to target them if they look like they mean serious business.

(Pre/Com +0 & Bargain 2 (Food) = 9 (Food = 10); invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4480766/ )

The main food available is a meat stew (or at least, a stew with some meat in it alongside the vegetables and grain that make up its bulk, but that's not how it's advertised), along with bread, which costs 1 penny a dish. Other food is available, but pricier.

Is anyone doing anything particular, or should I skip ahead?

...on the weapons, "lets keep 'em close." ... "Yup, they'll be less use in a brawl than a good knife, but we might not see them again if we hand them in."

...on the minstrel, both nodding, "Understood." Bogdon continues, "This singer might be making enemies if he is anything like other bards I've met; so perhaps a bit of time and a tad of encouragement might make hm see our home as a place to lay low for a while. That barmaid doesn't seem to like him much, and that means he was rude to her"
Godzimir "Or snubbed her afterward". Bogdon "yes or that, maybe both. Don't know how they do it."

The brothers will drink slowly, as they both know the real work is ahead of them yet. Both will happily eat something hot though. They'll also take turns observing the room, playing a game of who is wearing or holding what. Like a child's game I-spy, so that they make a game of looking for details.

People gradually come in to the common room, most from the street, but a few from upstairs. They're a mixed bunch of people - a number of Italiens, most of whom look to be common sailors, the odd Italien who looks to be of higher status, a number of local Kipchaks, plus Rus and Cuman traders. The room never gets above moderately full, but this is unlikely to be a prime trading time. Most of the sailors and traders take food, but the locals have apparently already fed, and are just drinking slowly.

Theodoric nods in approval of the assessment as he pats the weapon on his hip.

"Aye, the real use of somethin' like these is to avoid the brawl in the first place. Troublemakers like softer targets, so if any o' these sailors is lookin' for a fight, make it seem they won't find a fist-fight with us, an' with luck they'll look elsewhere. I mean..." he adds, with a twist of a smile under his beard, "I like a cfriendly brawl as well as the next, but in this town, maybe just to watch."

Once the lodging arrangements have been finalized, Theodoric chooses them a table with their backs (more or less) to a wall near where the singer will perform, and if possible (altho' of less importance here) able to see the main entrances, and sits down with the brothers to enjoy the basic offering of "meat stew". While traveling, the simple heat and convenience of food from a kitchen are always welcome, and often the novelty of the cook's choices makes up for any lower quality in ingredients, as the covenant fare, altho' hearty and of good quality, had become predictable long before the first year was out.

If the portions are not everything they might be, he'll toss out a few copper coins for another loaf of bread, to make up the difference in their stomachs, and to give them something to chew on during the show besides their thoughts.

Theo nods again - it wasn't the first time he had appreciated the brothers' sense of their surroundings.

"One of you chat up that barmaid - or the both o' you, she might respond to the attention better. See if you can find out what she has to say... about the minstrel," he makes clear, with a knowing look. "I don't want either of you disappearing for an hour or three, not until we've got our prize well in hand at any rate."

After a moment's thought, he adds in a more serious tone, "For that matter, no one should be disappearing without at least one other knowing where he's going, even if just out back to the privy. Don't want to be wondering about anyone disappearing. We don't have anyone to rely on but ourselves here."

As they watch the room slowly fill he follows their perception game, playing along silently, and even joining on occasion, but then only when thinks he knows the answer and the other brother seems truly stumped.

The stew is fairly reasonable for what it is, and the portions are a hearty size.

People continue to trickle into the room - the grogs recognise the guard they spoke to earlier, now unarmoured and apparently off duty.

[Ironboundtome, are Bogdan and Godzimir attempting to talk to the maid?]

yes, they are. was trying to get more time to write it better.

[Okay - I can [strike]rewrite[/strike] wait if you want to rewrite in more detail - just wanted to check you hadn't missed it.]

(Edited for writing the wrong word)

[I think he's complaining about his own lack of writing, not yours. :slight_smile:]

[Yes - I know, I just can't type. Also, are the forums really slow at the moment for other people, or is it just me?]

Right now, they don't seem slower than usual.

Scott

The brothers wait for a short period where the barmaid isn't flat out, preferably after she might have been harangued, and Bogdan walks past while Godzimir feigns almost bumping into her or moving a round her.

"Watch it dolt, you near ran her over", warns Bogdan, a hand on his brother's shoulder.
"Aye opps lady," Godzimir nods respectfully to her.
Bogdan continues "Silly man," smiling at her and raising an eyebrow at his brother. "he's often no use. An I expect you're busy enough" while raising his hands in a friendly surrender gesture. "c'mon, quit staring."
.."wait, wha you say".
" We'll leave you to it. Enough for you to do covering for the innkeeper's job" again with a smile, "and the singer aint even arrived yet."
".. is he any good ya think brother?"
"Well too many folk are here already, so he'd sing better than you or I",
Looking nervous as he asks "..ya think he's a fair fellow miss?"

If rolls are appropriate - Bogdan is trying Charm (3+roll as Pre 0 + Charm (first impressions) 2) using his brother as a foil, and Godzimir is trying Folk Ken (2+ roll as Pres 0 + Folk Ken 2) in that hapless more honest approach.

Also if a drinks order will keep it looking less suss they'll do that too.

If the conversation does start up, they'll try to get a few more tidbits,
..."so he's got a plan to travel on at some point?"
"how'd you find him?" giving credit to her rather than the owner,

As the two brothers stand to try their charms, Theodoric simply narrows his eyes and gives a half nod, then looks to his drink as he takes a casual sip. As they go about their welcome "task", he furtively scans the room to see who might be watching them, and only occasionally lets his gaze flit to judge if they are having success or no.

[Folk Ken is more used for reading someone's reactions than creating an impression.]

The barmaid manages to avoid Godzimir with some grace, and apologises with the reflex of someone providing a service regardless of whose actual fault the problem was.

"Ah - sorry." And then, once the brothers have apologised "No, not a problem. This is my job - he runs the inn. I don't think I've seen the two of you here before? If you're looking for any services or traders here, have a word with him - he'll know the best people for you to talk to."

She seems to be choosing her words slightly carefully when the singer is brought up.

"Antonio is a very popular fellow - he's only been here a couple of weeks, but already people are talking about him in a way that they never did about Ilgiz. Anyway, I should be moving on - he should be here in around quarter of an hour, so you should be able to form your own impressions then."

I'll assume the grogs request drinks at this point, then fish for more details.

"He came here on a ship from Constantinople - nothing to do with me, he just came and spoke to Rizardo, gave a demonstration of his skills, and Rizardo gave him a trial. I doubt he'll move on before spring now - I'd be surprised if there are any more ships until the thaw. This one's cutting it fine - I've heard bets on whether it'll make it out before the freeze."

The two return to the table, and recount the exchange to Theodoric. Unless he has another target in mind, they'll sit and wait for the singer to appear.

"So we watch him for a bit, then buy him a round during a break?"

I'll move the story on a bit, since I think everyone's done everything they want to do. It doesn't look to Theodoric as though anyone's paying any particular attention to them - a few people glance your way (especially when Godzimir nearly bumps into the barmaid), and you're not being ignored, but neither is anyone particularly interested in you.

The singer (Antonio) arrives more or less when the barmaid says he would, and sets himself up in the corner of the common room which doesn't contain the door, bar or stairs. He's a slender man of Italien appearance, just past his youth - reasonable enough looking but not eye-catchingly so. Then he begins to sing. The song itself is in what the brothers assume is Italien (or Venetian, or whatever they speak over there, which none of you have much idea on), but beautiful nonetheless - you can feel the moments of sorrow and fear, wiped out by a triumphant conclusion. Then he switches to another song, this one by its tune a lot more comedic and jolly - there's lots of laughter in the room, and the singer pauses and strikes the occasional absurd pose. After this he takes a break, which is just as well, as the grogs find themselves very much in the mood for another beer.

Theodoric holds his mug under his beard in both hands, listening over the remaining beer.

"We should learn more about this Ilgiz too - if only as a fallback. If he's out of a job and still around, he may be easy to convince if we need to... Contantinople - they say that's a big city, bigger than even Rome...

"When she comes over, ask her about him, where he is and what he might be doing now, and without being too obvious see if you can find out where this Antonio calls home - it might be easier to corner him for a private chat there than here."

Once they have a strategy, he'll signal the barmaid over to order that next round, more than he had originally intended allow himself or the brothers, but it does sound good right about now...

It takes several minutes for the barmaid to get to the grogs, and when she does, she doesn't have the time to talk - it looks as though half the rest of the bar have also decided this is a good time to get a drink, and both the maid and the innkeeper are run off their feet keeping up with the demand. The singer, meanwhile, relaxes in his corner, drinking thirstily from his own beer.

Theodoric notes the general call for drink with some disapproval - altho' a bit hypocritically, if uncharacteristically so.

"Well, let's go chat this lark up, shall we? No rush - a bit of courting before we pop the question."

A new order on the way, he drinks the last from his mug and stands, looking to the brothers to follow, and goes to the singer, to see if his Latin or Greek - or Kipchac or Slavic for that matter, or the brothers' Rus or Turk, are of any use, and which might be best.