Chapter 2c - Winter 1228 - In Search of a Singer

Theodoric gets some success with greek, although the man has a fairly strong italien accent when speaking.

Is there anything is particular you're saying to him?

Bogdan will stand but initially stay close to the table, and Godzimir will stay seated. His intention is to not all roll-up on the musician all at once, and somebody will have to keep their seats. After Theodoric's initial exchange Bogdan will join Theodoric to overhear the discussion, perhaps he was able to grab a drink along the way.

Godzimir is watching what others in the room are doing, as well as keeping an eye on his brother. If the barmaid does appear he's try to ask about Ilgiz.
like, "was Ilgiz even close to as good as this fella?"

Theo starts with a generic greeting and compliments to determine a common language, and then eases toward his actual goal.

"You are very good - why come to Tanas, why no Byzantium or Venice?"

"Will you be singing here long? all winter?"

"Where next? more travel?"

So as not to seem too prying, Theo will insert his own experiences - cities he's seen, their recent boat ride "from the other side of the river mouth", the cold of the winter to come, and mention "glad we have a rich employer, a dry roof and warm rooms to call our own."

Once he feels he has worn out "first impressions", he'll make a song request - or make something up if he can't think of anything, or if the brothers can't - and then sit back and listen to some more songs, wait for the waitress to fill in some more of this story, the man he replaced, and what her exact issue is with the singer.

The singer spreads his hands and smiles.

"Have been to Venice, Constantinople - good to travel more, yes? Are no more ships out until spring unless travel inland - not good in winter."

Theodoric's pretty sure he's being less than fully forthcoming on why he's come to Tana, although he suspects it has more to do with not being in other places than being here.

He listens to Theodoric's travel experiences (which other than the underwater palace and Constantinople are probably fairly limited, as he's spent most of the last 20 years at the covenant) - is Theodoric mentioning the palace? Or just the more mundane places? If the latter, he's polite and friendly enough, but Theodoric can tell it's politeness rather than genuine interest.

He knows a few greek songs from Constantinople, but does mention that the rest of the room will probably not be able to understand them... (he's totally angling for a tip here).

By the time the barmaid's freer, the singer looks like he's about ready to start again (and she looks like she could really do with a breather) - are the grogs pushing it?

As the grogs have all night they'll not push it.

Theo thinks of the most lively Greek song on the list, something he remembers non-Greeks tapping their toes to in the past - or at least thinks he does - and gives a good tip to the singer (a penny? as approp to make a good impression).

On top of that, he'll also flag the waitress over and signal her to give the singer a beer on him - and if she displays any "attitude", even just makes a face, he'll see if he can't get the singer's side of that story.

"What's her problem? did I do something wrong?...", he asks, if disingenuously.

He'll then sit, and let the next set or two play through, altho' perhaps wave the singer over to their table for another beer if he gets the chance.

Once the music starts, he speaks in a low tone to the brothers:.

"We don't need to hook this fish tonight - we're already paid for the room - but we should make a good impression, set the stage. We need to make "home" sound like a big deal, like something that'd be worth his interest to visit, without spelling it out."

[ooc: would the negative loyal modifier in the tavern make the grogs more likely to speak plainly about life or people at the cov?]

Godzimir whispers back to Theo "Should could tell him about the magi? I know that it's meant to be a quiet secret, but seems that a person interested in seeing amazing things might like to meet a wizard" then dryly, "otherwise we've got ruins."

Theo gives a half shrug.

"Well, maybe not mention magic, but just that they are scholars and patrons, and have a great library. See if that interests him, and if he makes the first move."

[A penny's a moderate tip - nice enough, but nothing to get excited about.

The aura isn't working to make you be generally nasty about the covenant, but if you could see a way to personal gain at the covenant's expense you'd be more likely to take it than you normally would, and you don't feel the same level of duty to the covenant's interests as you (might) normally do.]

The barmaid comes over, and Theodoric orders the beer for the singer. She takes the order and returns with it, her manner tightly controlled rather than rude - Theodoric gets the impression that she'd like to be rude, but can't afford to be.

On asking Antonio, he puts on a slight show of embarassment (and Theodoric's pretty sure it is a show) and responds:

"Ah - I believe she was somewhat fond of the previous singer here. Unfortunately, there isn't really room for two in a single inn and, well, the good innkeep was gracious enough to prefer my own music."

He'll take your song request and when the break ends (which is fairly shortly), it's his opener. It's a cheery song, and the grogs can feel their spirits lifting - and yes, there's a few toes tapping.

A penny tip plus the beer for him as well - not trying to send up any flags this early, one color or another, just make sure to be remembered well.

Theo nods in understanding at the explanation - "...competition is what it is, the better man wins, that's the way of the world."

Theo's toes are among the first to tap, and it takes no effort to enjoy the old favorite, putting him in a good mood and momentarily forgetting the business they are about. He does remember to look about at who is also enjoying the song, perhaps spotting someone more familiar with Greek than the others in the crowd, just for future reference.

"It seems that the beer-maid would be an ally to our cause. Let's see if we can't show her some of our cards, and find where her Ilgiz is now, and see if their goals and ours might not walk the same road. If the two of them are on our side, we have a better understanding of where to put some levers to get this rock to move our direction. Just that... our lords are in a mood to have a traveled minstrel over the winter, and would be happy to take this Italian for a while.

"Also, I'm not convinced he's here out of pure wanderlust - I wonder if any might know more about his background... I doubt the boat he arrived on would still be in town, but perhaps - let's see about that, too..."

If Godzimir get a chance to speak to the barmaid, I'd like him to try to read her (not sure which skill), then probably he'll ask straight up.

"If you don't mind the asking, where is Ilgiz now? We're looking to hire on a talented singer for a bit and it could be a way to turn his fortune good again."

[Getting a read on someone is Folk Ken under normal circumstances (i.e. they're human).]

The barmaid looks momentarily keen, but then caution stills her features.

"I could have him meet you - what sort of job is it, and where would it be?"

Seeing her interest Godzimir will happily answer, and not hide his shared interest or intent at all.

"Well our lords are looking ta find a skilled musician and singer, and have asked us to find somebody suitable and return with us to work out the details at home. Her ladyship gave my friends and I the task personally, and I think Ilgiz would be asked to compose a new ballad for them, but more than that I'm not sure about. We live about 3 or so days up river. "

[ooc: was it 3 days? I'm trying to find that post; if dramatically different please assume he got it close to right]

"Theo and my brother might remember a little more" he follows, as he nods to the table where the others are. "Theo understands the lords better than I do."

"If you think Ilgiz would be interested we'd be happy to talk to him, or even you both."

If she asks more about home, or if Godzimir can slip it in, "Home is quiet by Tana' s standards, but I've never worked for better! The masters keep to themselves mostly, an we get a fair run of the place as long as we're at our jobs squarely." Smiling to himself, "It's good now that I think on it."

[Edit: Amid that, or after I'd like Godzimir to try a Folk Ken roll - Per +1, Folk Ken 2; 3+roll. 1d10+3=9 Trying to determine how she is talking it, and if he's made a misstep?]

Theodoric takes the opportunity to use the privy, and says (in Latin) to the brothers that "He has to see a man about a horse, be right back." He nods to the barmaid, and goes to answer Nature's call.

(OoC - He sees this as a "Charm" situation, and knows that is not his strong suit. No need to wait for T's input here.)

[OOC: Rather less than 3 days, and not so much "up the river" as "on the other side of the river delta" - as the crow flies, it's about 10 miles, although said crow will have a much easier time of getting over the marshy river delta than people on foot.]

The barmaid looks slightly bemused.

"A new ballad he could do, but Lords? Round here that isn't here?"

"They're lords of some sort from what I can tell, but maybe they have some other special titles or some-such. Oh, and good to know that Ilgiz might be able to help. When do you think we could meet him? "

"People round here don't tend to have much in the way of fancy titles, other than the Ventians...I can arrange for him to come and see you tomorrow afternoon. Better to not get him in the same place as Antonio."

She's clearly wondering what you're not telling her.

ooc: Given that he didn't know what she really meant by "Round here that isn't here" meant, Godzimir is really not intentionally holding back information. He's really got no more idea of what is wanted apart from finding a signer for a ballad.

Godzimir says, "Meeting him tomorrow afternoon would be good. We will probably be here, but we can happily meet somewhere else too," and then look to see if their chat has gone on too long or not, "a market or another inn, anywhere where we can talk."

[OOC: The social structure in the surrounding villages is generally pretty flat - there's a headsman in each village, but it's not a hereditary position, and there's not really any centralised authority. "Here" on the otherhand is a Venetian trading post, which has a different social structure, although the grogs haven't seen enough of it to be very sure on the details.]

"I'll tell him to meet you here. There's no market tomorrow, and it'll be warmer. There's not any other permanent inn in the city, although every now and again places will set themselves up as taverns whilst their brew lasts."

(Sounds good - we've laid a foundation w/ the Venetian (who's not going anywhere) but need more info (or allies) before we proceed, so, esp since it's been a long day, T suggests we finish our beers and meet this guy tomorrow, and try to see what's up.)