Chapter 3 (late Summer 1013): Gathering at Ungulus

Having entered unnoticed, Ealhstan speaks up, "I have not met this Wulfric but the few other Churchmen since returning that I have spoken to seem to speak like him or fail to speak up out of fear of him. If, on top of this sort of sway within Mother Church, he has the ear of the King [Insert correct designation if king is wrong, Ealhstan would get this right] of Mercia then he is truly powerful indeed. Again, not having met him I can not say if he is a man of Faith, deluded into thinking all magic is devilry, unfortunately a more common view than we who know the truth would like, especially in these difficult times, or a servant of the devil, unwitting or no. His seemingly miraculous survivals speak to one or the other. I can not be certain which unless... perhaps if I met him... But, Lord," Ealhstan makes the Sign of the Cross, "from everything I have heard I do not wish to meet him."

Adrien was silently podering this situation. He tried not to show his dismay at the breach of intrferance with mundanes clause of the Oath.
Much like many magi bonisagi he had great pride in the founder of the order, perhaps too much pride in fact: he viewed the Magic Theory and the Oath as perfect creations and infallable in every regard.
But he considered the situation at hand and at least from what he heard it wasn't magi's fault, it would be very difficult to not interfere when somebody's after your life. Still there was a lingering sadness in him as he said:

I certainly hope we never have to deal with him, however it seems unlikely. He is certainly wont forget an attempt to end his life, and if his previous conviction was not enough it will certainly be solidified because of this... not that I'm blaming anyone for this, it had to be done, otherwise you obviously wouldn't do it, knowing the consequences.
As strange it may sound, I hope it is Infernal powers that is responsible for his survival, mainly because if it is indeed the Divine, we... no the entire Order is in grave danger, as the Wrath of God will fall upon us

"Have you not heard what was said? It is not interfering with mundanes to protect oneself, something I learned at Magvillus and something every magus should know," Ealhstan says impertinently, "and as for Wulfric, I hardly think his views needed or could have been solidified more. He has put fear into good, godly men who disagree with his stance. Mother church, in Rome, knows that most magi are also God's children. If anything he is driving these lands towards heresy but, if god supports him it is for some other reason. God supports his chosen people and those who follow Islam as well. Should we choose to convert to one of those religions now that I have told you that? God is mysterious and unknowable. For whatever reason he chooses to support many, even our enemies." Ealhstan then realizes just how impertinent he is being, speaking to a magus in such a manner and he closes his mouth. Thank the Lord I didn't call him the fool he is out loud Ealhstan thinks.

"I have not spent a lot on learning the interpretations of the code, while I do trust the judgment of those in Magvillus, the House Guernicus is apt at legal matters after all." he pauses
"however the Oath itself makes no exception for such a case, I understand that no one can be blamed for trying to protect oneself, but it is nonetheless regretable that it had to happen."
"I agree that God works in mysterious ways, I am just worried that it may be a portent of a change in stance of the Church. Heresy or not, Magic has little power over Divine. And if this Wulfric rises in power more there might be yet another Schism in the Church, and it would matter not what Rome thinks, just as it matters little in the lands of Orthodox church. Of course it is not likely that it will happen, I am perhaps overly worried..."

1 Like

Ealhstan nods and says nothing further. He silently resolves to send a letter to Magvillus about this situation, that they may be warned and, perhaps, try to keep it from getting worse.