Chapter 3: Not in Kansas anymore

That's good to hear, lady viscaria, and I am impressed by the magnitude of your abilities. You should do that as soon as possible. And have no fear: I shall protect you for as long as you need to.
In fact, we are lucky, after a fashion: Between your earthcrafting abilities, Cygna's aerial reconnaissance capacity, and my own faerie power, I think we actually may have a chance where lesser mages would have had a pretty hard time.

In my opinion? You should craft such a home here. Once you're rested, I'll shroud it in illusions while you watch over me. That way, we'll always have that refuge should the outside prove to be dangerous. Then, we should follow the others and explore. Cygna can run aerial reconnaissance, quickly pinpointing the way while we run things on the ground.

And then, just a thought. While he has nothing to hope for, while it is certain he'll never be with her, Hiems realizes he is farther away from his dame than he's ever been. Despite all his power, he has no hope at all to even catch a glimpse of her, not as long as he's stuck here. And he shudders, feeling a wave of cold, harsh truth wash over him. His face closes, as Hiems does his best to show no emotion at all to the outside world, becoming even more impassible than ever

"Well, for the moment, our meager supplies are stored safely right here. We have hardly even explored our terrain, and do not know if we need to defend the three passages leading into here. Let us not be too hasty, Heims. A day or two will not significantly impact our resources, and could provide an increase in security and defense....

"You call us "better equipped than lesser mages, but I fear we are too unschooled to be able to unravel this thread from these caves. I suspect we shall have to move forward in our quest, rather than retrace our steps through this one-sided portal. Still, I would not like to alter the cave TOO much, lest we later develop the skill to understand what we might now destroy in our ignorance.

Come, then. Let us join Berenguer and Serrano and see where we are...Rego Corpus and Perdo Vim....surely, I do not think we are inside a regio, for I cannot think of a way one might use Perdo Vim to redirect us into a regio...unless...."

(ooc: I was going to do a Magic Theory roll again, but at this point it is more like I am just roleplaying the "season" of studying the effect that I'll be doing)

Viscaria climbs out into the sunlight to see what is what.

The sun is high in the sky (mostly hidden by the trees), you are in a teeming forest full of strange plants and noises. You can see insects of all kinds and hear birds.
It is a hot summer's day even under the trees.

picture to help you imagine

We agree on this. Our immediate situation is far more pressing than the hows or whys.
And the cave? I doubt it to be very important, but may be wrong. I thus shall bow to your expertise on this matter.

Hiems walks some steps alongside viscaria, and then
Perdo Vim? Of course!
Turning to viscaria
I think I've solved this mystery. It is clear we were subjected to a Rego Corpus effect similar to the Leap of Homecoming spell. But this shouldn't affect Arcane Connections. Yet they did cease to function. It thus stands to reason that was the purpose of the Perdo Vim effect. If I recall correctly, the magi from Phoenix were pretty secretive, and such an effect seems logical for them.

Summer? Bleh!!

Hiems can feel his magic assaulted by the baneful rays of the sun. This is anormal and unsympathetic to the magical spark inside him, and he certainly doesn't feel much at ease.

Are we near the others? Do we see them?

“[color=red]Interesting, is it not, that you have all complained of having had two spells cast upon you, but apparently not the same two spells, and yet I am unaffected? Likewise, the nausea you have commented on. The only symptom I felt on passing through the fog and arriving here was a momentary disorientation, which might well be caused by a botched Hermes Portal and may have affected the sodales of Salle de Glace the same way.”

“[color=red]Would I be correct in assuming that you're thinking of one cottage for the all of us, or will magi and magae be in separate buildings?”

Cygna snorts and shakes her head with a smile. “[color=red]I believe I can help with the What We Need part, at the very least. And quite possibly with the Where We Shall, also.”

“[color=red]Assuming that this is where the magi of Salle de Glace intended the Hermes Portal to exit, I would think that it would be substantially important...in some way. We simply haven't deciphered how yet.”

She walks up the tunnel along with Heims and Viscaria, and stops just outside the exit to take in the vista before her. “[color=red]This is certainly unlike anything I've ever seen in England.” The look on her face is one of awestruck wonder as she absorbs the scenery for a good while.

She will eventually move out into the...not necessarily the open, but out away from the tunnel to try to get her bearings. She gets a Per 0 + Wilderness Sense 2 (for directions) + 1d10=8 = 10 to get her bearings vis-a-vis which direction is which. She's also going to get a Per 0 + WS 1 + 1d10=5 = 6 to see if she can reasonably expect the weather to be nice for a couple of days, and a Per 0 + WS 1 +1d10=2 = 3 to try to get a feel for what kind of critters (peaceful and hostile) there might be in the vicinity.

Also making a general Per 0 + 1d10=6 = 6 to try to see any traces of Serrano and/or Berenguer.

(ooc – apologies for the delay – it has been a rather stressful couple of days here)

Are you saying you didn't sense a mystical effect pierce your parma, let alone 2 of them? That would throw my whole theory out of whack.

Outside, while ill at ease under the heat, hiems will be all the more vigilant in these strange surroundings. He'll be respectful of Cygna's skills, and, while she tries to get her bearings, he'll do his duty, and watch over viscaria and her, alert to any sign of danger.
Pe 0 + Awareness (Alertness) 3 + 1d10=7 = 10

Hiems looks arond and can't help but notice how beautiful untouched nature can be.

ooc: un-medieval thoughts

Hiems, thinking
This is gorgeous. Yet, how can this be? Untamed by man, nature shouldn't be this beautiful. Surely, there must be some magic in this, unless we've come across some reflection of the garden of Eden? Oh, if only I could share this with ma dame!

Sigh...
And hop! One moment of joy and wonder, doused by a single thought :mrgreen:

The sun is clear for Cygna to see. The cave entrance is on the side of the noon sun. As for weather, it looks like a thunderstorm later that day (wind and rain), but nothing to really worry about (except the tan).

“[color=red]Precisely. I felt nothing against my Parma,” Cygna says. “[color=red]However,” she continues after a brief pause, “[color=red]it is possible that a spell cast, or an effect instilled, by someone more powerful than I...for example, a Mercere archmagus, may slide through my Parma with me none the wiser. I do know that I am under the effects of no active magics that I had not already been aware of.

“Viscaria, how long would it take for us to erect some kind of shelter? It looks like we will be getting a thunderstorm this afternoon.” Cygna is already starting to perspire freely in the noonday heat, and absently sheds her heavy cloak as she speaks.

Viscaria likewise begins to shed her warmer layers. She looks about, appreciating the beauty, but clearly unaware of just how foreign the terrain is. "The ritual will take slightly longer than an hour, though I have never tried to do it entirely without Creo or Terram vis. I should be able to manage it, but will be incapacitated for the rest of the day, at least, and next to useless for nearly a week.

We should spend a good deal of time selecting an ideal location for it. I can set up one building for now, using the plans I created when I first invented the spell, though the spell is designed to accommodate a variety of architectural plans. If desired, we can make more later to suit the tastes of the group once we have found appropriate vis. My own preference, I think, would be to carve out additional spaces underground, especially given the heat. The magics are less fatiguing on me.

Helena has said that we are in a magical aura of some significance. If such is the case, I should be able to cast the spell reliably. Now, perhaps Cygna should scout for a suitable location for our little homestead while the rest of us busy ourselves....how?"

Cygna continues to look skyward as Viscaria speaks, making sure that there is enough open space in the woods and breaks in the canopy for her to make her way skyward. She then nods decisively (ooc: unless there's not, in case nevermind from here forward) and heads behind a substantial bush.

[color=red]“I don't suppose there's any way to create at least a temporary shelter that won't leave you quite so incapacitated, is there?” She sings softly as she disrobes, draping her clothing (and the piece of sheet she's been holding) over the bush, then changes to her swan form.

She returns to the clearing. [color=red]“Or, if worse comes to worse, is there no reason not to seek shelter in the cave? Or do you think it would flood?

“Also, what features should I look for when I'm scouting?”

Once she gets a suitable answer, she says, [color=red]"I don't expect to be gone very long." With that, she goes airborne and starts to look around for a location such as that Viscaria describes.

To Viscaria

Lady Cygna is right. I'm impressed to learn that you're able to do such a magical prowess, but this'll take you out for too long. We can't afford that, as we don't know what kind of dangers might lurk here. Better for you to cast your mighty ritual once we're more secure.

So in the meantime, seeking shelter in the caves might be better, once, of course, we've explored them.

To cygna:
I trust your wisdom on this. You know what'll be useful to us: Sources of fresh water first, food second. Best of all, any sign of human presence, of course, althought I fear we shouldn't count on it.

To viscaria:
In the meantime, why don't we explore the other tunnels somewhat? If the portal let to the cave, and with the magical Aura, there's at least some hope that we may find magical equipment there.

Cygna alights in the clearing and waddles behind the bush where she draped her clothing. She changes back into her human form, with the brush screening her from view, and puts on just enough clothing to preserve modesty...it is beastly hot this day.

[color=red]“Well, whatever effect was instilled in that mirror, we are definitely far, far from home. We're on a good-sized island, with ocean all around. And the bluest water I've ever seen.”

She emerges from behind the bush, wearing basically a slip, with the scrap of bedsheet tied around her head as a sweatband, and her other clothes bundled up.

[color=red]“There's a small river a couple hundred yards to our south, emptying into the ocean about a quarter mile to our east. The river seems kind of silty, and may flood a little bit, so if we look there we would want to build back a ways. But most of the land in the area seems fairly flat.

“There are quite a few smaller islands surrounding this one, so that might be something to keep in mind when we start thinking longer term. And the inland area is more mountainous.

“Oh, and I saw no trace of man. If they did build Salle de Glace here, they either hid it very well or built it underground somewhere...or off on one of the islands.”

She looks from Heims to Viscaria to Helena. [color=red]“What do you think?”

"I could easily shove some earth around to suit our more immediate needs, but it would be a brute force effort, with the risks that usually entails. The caverns for tonight, I say. If we're worried about the cavern flooding, how about if we set up a Ward Against Rainfall Ring on the entrance? And then we can explore the caves."

When Cygna returns with her news, Viscaria seems very disheartened to discover we are on an island.

Silty? Can we drink it? She gets a sudden cunning look, as if she has just made an world-redefining discovery. "Better still, can animals drink from it? If we were located close to a spot where animals frequently quenched their thirst, it would make for easier foraging, no?

As the subject is discussed further, it becomes more transparent that while Viscaria is well versed in how to defend a settlement against bandits or armies, she has no idea about how to pick one that is close to useful resources. Though her input slows the conversations more than it speeds it, she eventually agrees that we should ultimately build ourselves a little homestead near the silty river.

As she heads back into the caves to explore, she calls out Serrano? Berenguer? Can you hunt us up some supper? Food, Serrano. Food. Unless you want to explore the caves with us....?

This is... disturbing. A lady should be clothed and all. How can one concentrate given these sights?

Luckily, Hiems is an expert at self-control, and shows nothing, nor does he acts as if everything wasn't cool.

That's quite interesting. First, due to both the name and our location, I'd say you're probably right: I doubt we're on the Salle de Glace site. Unless, of course, it's a joke from our predecessors. That means we're probably on our own, with little or no ressources. (salle de glace means room of ice. And hiems is from provence)
Second, river means spring, which means drinkable water. So that, at least, is fine. We might want to create a way to draw it to us, altough it might be better and easier to create a settlement near it.
We just have to find food, then, and I think serrano's abilities might help us to find suitable plants. Meat would be great, but will have to wait.

Agreed. It should be easy enough.

Which would solve our third problem. Brillantly reasonned, lady viscaria. nods

Hiems will then go to explore the remaining tunnels, probably with Viscaria. To tell the truth, he feels better there. It's darker, colder, far from the unrelenting power and light of the sun. That, and, psychologically speaking, he feels better there, since he feels like all warmth and hope deserted him with his dame.

As Viscaria steps back into the cavern with our supplies in it, she makes a discreet inquiry of the group. After a brief discussion, she bursts out laughing. "Magic chamber pots! Oh, yes. Hrm....I might be able to find some suitable stalagmite fragments to give us a base to work with. Shall we try down that tunnel? Oh, and do we need to worry about rain coming in?"

Helena and Berenguer demure, offering to shuffle about the supplies and such (ooc: until their players return). She and Hiems, at least, go to explore the labyrinth briefly. Does Cygna and Serrano join them?

She sponts her two InVi spells (Detect Aura Magnitude and Detect Vis), and then carefully replaces her casting wands back on her bracers.

As they explore, collecting loose rocks in her too-warm cloak. "I shall make a second pot for us to keep a fire handy in, for cooking in. Cygna, did you see a sandy shoreline nearby? Oh, you did? Excellent. Heims, could you perhaps make a few extra of these fire pots that I might create a makeshift glass forge? I can give you the exact formulae for the heat required. I don't need them right away, perhaps by the end of the week? Then I can make some things which would be useful to us: plates, cups, pitchers, jars and jugs for food and water storage, maybe even barrels. Anything else?"

Once enough rock debris has been collected, she sponts a few Muto Terram spells (as with Rock of Viscid Clay, only D:Concentration and T:Individual = 5) and begins shaping them into the required pots. As she works, the magi discuss their course of action.

Teams are created, tasks are assigned, and plans are laid out as the storm outside gathers. She and Heims will explore the caves every other day, guarding the camp site and working the glass forge on their off days. "Once the necessities of life have been dealt with, I can begin creating lab equipment for us all. Oh, it would be lovely if we could find a good source of potash." Again, she struggles to explain to Serrano what to look for.

"One thing which is still not clear to me: why did the experiment with the Arcane connections fail? Are we even on Terra Mundi still?"

Talking of grand designs and idle concerns, and shaping rock like it was clay, she settles in to her first night in her new home.

Viscaria relaizes that the aura is just too low to cause warping.
She creates the two pots from stone.

Aye. I'll do it, just at a more suitable moment.
Like I told you before, I prefer to use formulaic magic or, if not possible, spontaneous magic. My master warned me, I could kill myself if drawing too much on my life force. Indeed, I did hurt myself in such a way once. I don't want to risk being out of commission if I can avoid it.
Yet, what must be done, must be done, and if I must die... So be it.

Doing the rolls now for when Hiems will do it. Maybe not all at the same time. Same casting total as before, only with Aura 5:
Base Cr 5 + Ig 6 + Sta 2 + Aura 5 + 2 Artes Liberales + 2 Philosophiae = 22 - 3 summer = 19

• 1d10=4 = 23/2 = 11. Using 2 fatigue levels. Resting and...
  • 1d10=3 = 22/2 = 11. Using 2 fatigue levels. Resting and...
  • 1d10=8 = 27/2 = 13. Still using 2 fatigue levels. Resting one last time and...
  • 1d10=2 = 21/2 = 10. Guess what? 2 fatigue levels.

My hypothesis is that the Perdo Vim spell we experimented was designed to cut Arcane Connections. But this would indicate design, which raises all sorts of questions.

Sometime around 6.30 to 7pm the first night, a couple of hours after the rain ends and not too long after sunset, Cygna is going to wander outside during a lull in the discussion and find a place to sit (or lie down) and look up at the sky intently, studying the stars and the moon(s) (if any), see if I can figure out where in the world we are.

Int 4 + Artes Liberales 1 + 1d10=3 = 8. Hopefully that's enough to give her a clue.