Chapter 3, The Temple of Nehalenia.

I have Walter seated right across from him. I presume both these men speak some amount of French, so I inform them that Wirth will be along shortly to serve as arbiter in their dispute.

As far as his compatriots go, Fred takes them over by Betty for some chow. Reginald seems interested in participating though. He seems to know all the facts of the matter.

Havlard listens to what Iolar tells him, asking questions to clarify points. He then thinks for a moment on the question.

[color=red]"My knowledge tends to be more of the Unseelie Court but I will tell you what I know. Where I am from, Ree Mannannan, Beg Mac-y-Lír is the ruler of the sea and the keeper of the Seelie Court. He controls the weather and sea all around the island. There were many Mermaids there who were most often playful. I do not remember any of them controlling the weather. There were also Merrow, who are like Mermen but had legs and could go on land. They were more dangerous but only locally, not with the weather. The only thing other than Ree Mannannan that I heard summoning storms was the ghost of a witch."

"My first thought would be to find out what someone did to anger the faeries. If they did not summon the storm they certainly strengthened it. My first thought is something connected to this dead Pirate named Ugly Pete. Otherwise I would get their permission to build that dock and sea wall.

[color=red]Roberto, Aelianus look at the magus,[color=red] I was informed that there where some trouble brewing here. Tell me what is going on here? Aelianus holds his wand at ease, though not lowered.

[color=red]"As I said the storm was sent by the sea witch according to the winds so it amy not have been the mermen. Your idea's seem sound and are not that different from mine, although I would not wish to ask permission before we do what we need to do. Have you any talant at necromancy if we can find this Pete? I am afraid it is not one of my strong points

Dragor is walking along when he overhears the following...

Walks backwards the way he came, hoping no one spots him.

(I presume Wirth and Kilica are here with me, as is Reginald)
[color=red]
Walter, our main mercentile contact an purchasing agent, came to us for help. He said that "Patch" over there is a ruthless desperado. On the other hand, he claims that Walter owes him money. Fred claims that it was a legitimate business deal, whereas Reggie here claims that they are both victems of misunderstanding. We are trying to get to the bottom of it now.

[color=red]David is the one that talks of necromancy a lot. Ask him. You could just ask the sea witch.

Thanks, I like it, too. Simple, and efficient :wink: 8)
[color=green]Wirth

[color=red]Interesting. Thanks

Once Ulrich is awake

[color=red]Ok. It seems you have some legitimate griefs. Nonetheless, I won't let you threaten my men, or insult me. Do this again, and you'll suffer.
I like your style, though. You have guts.

Watching Ulric in the Eye, I make a few gestures, casting [color=blue]Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie

[color=red]Now, tell me. How much does he owes you?

[color=red]
That's one of the problems , I am not quite sure who the Sea Witch is and definetly don't know where to find her.
Iolar Pouts slightly , (Very odd looking when an Eagle pouts) :slight_smile:
[color=red]Oh well I suppose I better go and find the necromancer, unless you want to do it
then

[color=red]
Ah, Ha. You there Dragor . Where's your master I need to talk to him, and have you seen a dead pirate around here I need to find his body,
[color=blue]OOC No one avoid my Eagel sight

:laughing: Dragor's got the stats and stones to deal with this

[color=red]Mawster has informed me he is not to be disturbed, and I am not sure where he is at the moment. As for a dead pirate, I would be happy to assist you in the matter. (pulls out his dagger) [color=red]Merely point out which one you prefer and I shall make it so.

[color=green]Iolar
[color=red]"Don't be silly we have two perfectly good flabeau down there if there is a need to kill someone. I am asking about already dead pirates. Apparently there was one called Pete who was probably killed in the storm and I think it would be a good idea to talk to him so you know where he is or am I going to have to get someone to dredge the harbor

Dragor shakes his head inside his mind, because he would never outwardly show even a hint of disrespect.

[color=green]Dragor: [color=red]Mistress Iolar, perhaps you should ask his fellow pirates where they disposed of his remains, whether they buried him or sent him out to sea. But May I suggesst, mistress, that whatever you need to ask of a dead pirate, the answer can be much more easilly obtained from a live one.

Would you like for me to fetch one of them for you or for me to draw master David's attention for you. Either way, I am humbly at your service. (takes a deep bow)

Ulrich

Okay, concerning the matter of Ulrich versus Walter Eyke; we have gathered together the aforementioned as well as Wirth, Roberto, Kilica, and Aelianus. Plus whomever else I am forgetting. Fred catches up with them after dropping Ulrich’s men off at the VanHalen House (where Betty and Johan watch them).

Ulrich and Walter each have their own versions of the story that favors themselves, but the neutral eyewitnesses (Fred and Reginald) will confirm the following.

Ulrich has always picked on Walter, but never targeted any of his goods shipped over land (there is an important river crossing near by). However, when Walter wanted to expand into sea shipping, merchant vessels he invited to visit and trade with the town (and covenant) kept getting attack by pirates. Ulrich promised to stop the raids for a fee.

Pete was responsible for the attacks. His method of operation was to take a band of men and get hired as crew on a ship, and then hijack it, often taking off with the loot in a rendezvous ship. But Pete had barely escaped a botched hijacking with his life and was holed up with Ulrich (old friend/enemies) when he made his offer to Walter. Then Ulrich fled town for mysterious reasons (side note: he had nightmares and thought everyone was trying to kill him, and then thought the law was on his tail and he had to flee; or maybe he was just really drunk and dreamed that he had nightmares like that; and in fact Ulrich has no idea why he fled, but remembers the ugly old crone laughing at him).

And, on top of that, Fred and Reginald offer to pay each of the parties what they feel the other owes them. The two of them seem really eager to tidy this whole affair up and be done with it. Walter agrees, heaving a heavy sigh. Back to a life of Ulrich picking on him every day, and he just knows one of the two pirates here is having an affair with his wife, but who?)

Okeanos
Ah yes! You can indeed use magic to suddenly outperform Lawrence in swimming ability. I presume you do so sometime later in the journey, just to teach the whelp a lesson. One needs to relax, pace themselves, take in the scenery.

I presume you are also memorizing the route of course :wink:

If ever I shoot past a spot where you wanted to react to something, just shout out and I will rewind or fit it in logically somehow.

Anyway, Lawrence is suitably impressed, and gives you a smug smirk of minor appreciation. He wasn’t too happy about her sister courting someone with mortal blood, but he now sees that there is only a small drop of it in you.

He doesn’t take you that far, just a few miles North and West. There is a large sunken ship, klinker built, perhaps just a merchantman, but maybe a Viking snekar. It sunk a few hundred years ago, and is overturned. It has also been remodeled as it is now someone’s home. There is a grand entrance, a yard, sea plants, fish about, etceteras. And there is of course a nautical theme to all decorations.

Write your own entry interspersing your own activities, and correct what I write here to accommodate your own actions.

Anyway, he leads you inside where waits Lucy, little sister Linda, and their mother Dorala the Mere-Matron. Oh, there is also a dozen or so mere-babies swimming about. The sofa is a giant clam, the family dog is a small shark, and a bunch of other stuff like that. Think Flinstones underwater.

Dorala is as lovely as her daughters and even more entrancing. She has Presence +3 and Venus’ Blessing. She is also kinda witchy in a way. And you know what they say, you know, girls grow up to look just like their mother, so, you know; good DNA man, that’s all I’m saying.

All introductions are made and Lucy gives you a big hug and stuff and is all blabbering on about you to her mother.

[color=green]Lucy: [color=red]This is him! Isn’t he everything I told you about? (she is all fluttery-moon-eyed) [color=red]I saw him jump right into that sinking pirate ship, and he swam right past nasty ol’ Pete and rescued Bob and George! Oh, and there is something wrong with that Bob let me tell you, OMG!

And it goes on like this.

Lawrence is playing with Andy the faerie shark (their pet), telling mom she got a good deal on the new place. He asks how many clams it cost her (bah-dum-cha!). He then asks when Dad is going to arrive.

[color=green]Dorala: [color=red]Hrumph I bet you he is still waiting for that Vodalian hussy to come and watch those eggs for him. I told him that he will regret that no good useless tramp. Do you think she is going to stick around to raise those tadpoles? I certainly am not. That’s what he gets for slipping her eggs into my nest!

Dorala chats it up with you, and is obviously quite charmed as she is charming. As chit chat continues, you will learn the following information (presuming you inquire of course).
• Dorala is from Lyonesse, and claims noble lineage. Her great great great grandfather was one of the knights of the round table; back when Lyonesse was a surface kingdom (when asked how it sank, she will shrug her shoulders and say she guesses it is better that way)
• Lucy’s Father Octchal (who is late) is a Havamand originally from up North (he has legs, and tusks). He met Dorala when he attended the magic college of the Order of Triton in Lyonesse. Dorala does not think much of the Triton wizards, but she admits she was attracted to Octchal’s exotic ways. Dorala also mentions that she herself is a seer and a healer.
• If asked about the Sea Hag, she will mention Nhwella, who dwells deep in the underwater caves of Scarred Rock Point. She advises you stay away from the sea hag. She is out of your league, She is way-way out of your league. Dorala is not kidding. And that is just the youngest of the three! Still, Nhwella is up in Zeeland, and her sisters are further North still in the North Sea. There is a sea hag named Agratta round towards Brittany hundreds of miles from here, and other than that the Channel is clear of sea hags.
• More importantly, if there is any talk about the storm, the sea-mother, or of Pete and the sea hag, then Dorala connects all the dots for you.

You see, Pete was ugly, severely ugly. And foul smelling. People thought he had leprosy, but he just refused to bathe ever. And he had many rashes. No woman would touch Pete for love nor money. He forced himself on whores in England, and they wrote the song Barnacle Bill about him (they didn’t know his name, so they called him Bill because it went with Barnacle, which alluded to his rash and flakey skin; and that is all a total lie because the song really comes from much much later).

But the Sea Hag is uglier. Much uglier. Pete was the only one who willingly warmed her bed, and she was the only one to willingly let Pete [i]in[/] her bed. Then, Nhwella said she would make Pete a wealthy outlaw leader if he would promise to marry her. Pete vowed on a Votive Stone of Nehalennia and the contract was made. Just like your stone Okeanos, except you kept your promise (the stone is yours, you should examine it).

Pete broke his promise. He was made rich and powerful all right. He drove Ulrich out of town and recruited his key officers (now all dead and replaced by guys like Reginald and Johan; and since Ulrich failed to protect Walter from Pete, he feels that Ulrich owes him a refund on his deposit, but that is another story). Pete and his band hijacked a ship and made a fortune over the spring and summer (where did the money go?). But come autumn, the hag got to wondering when he was going to make good on his promise. He vowed “On Christmas”. Well Pete, that ugly old evil heathen son of a bastard, he never keeps mind of when Christmas is. He was out drunk raping whores and killing pigs that night (or was it the other way around?).

Dorala figures that, since he had broken his vow, the wrath of the goddess was invoked, Pete was killed and the ship she helped him obtain was sunk. Linda saw the other pirates throw Pete’s body over the breakwater into the sea, which is a good idea because the Sea Hag will probably want to come collect her groom sometime. She’ll probably let him rot a while first, teach him a lesson.

Then the door opens, and he has arrived. Standing there on his webbed feet, with his scaly skin, seaweed hair, and long tusks; Octchal the Havamand has arrived!

David is deep in the maze of his lab, trying to figure out what the hell that old Criamon was thinking when he hung empty wooden tubs from the ceilings of every left dead end between the sixth and eleventh along the main path from the door to the lab. He has, however, found a use for one - Ugly Pete is sitting in the tub above dead end #10, looking like a macabre rower, and perfectly preserved by Charm against Putrefaction.

[color=green]Wirth

[color=red]Fine. I see no problem with this as long as you all agree.
One thing, though. I don't care what you do of your free time, but don't let this ever affect your efficiency in your line of work, or we'll talk again.
Turning to Ulrich[color=red]
This goes for you too. Give walter a break from time to time :imp:

Afterward Fred talks to Ulrich and Reginald talks to Walter. They sort it all out, and Reginald keeps Ulrich from bothering Walter from now on. Walter likes Reginald. Probably the only man in town that isn't sleeping with his wife.

Which Reginald totally is, and everyone but Walter seems to know it.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[color=green]Wirth
Ok, so now I can come back to more important things.
Like, Perdoing rubble for our pier, and spending time with my wife :smiley:

I'll try to come up with some circle/ring enchantments to make her life better, btw :smiley:

I will come up with a sketch of our labor efforts tonight.

Aelianus leaves the area, seemingly annoyed by the waste of his time. Witnessing the aftermath of a brawl between drunks. A waste of his precious time, that Bob if I find him guilty of wasting my time again… Aelianus stops to meet with Diodorus and then tries to find Iolar.