Chapter 3b - The Toymaker’s Favors

Is anyone controlling Theodoric? I haven't specified actions for him because he's an independent character, and in the absence of another player, I was assuming you would. (Actually, Constantine is supposed to be independent, too, but it's usually pretty obvious that Constantine will start out with Courtship Dance.)

Yes, I was prepared for the possibility that they'd want to fight it out, and it's entirely in-character for Viola not to take that possibility as seriously as she should. It might have been a little too conservative to try a low-level spell first--but I didn't realize the spear was in reach of her, and I was planning to launch a much more potent spont with her next action, probably with some vis added in. I can still do that, but with the poor roll, I don't think she can fast-cast quickly enough. Could Theodoric have struck her before she went after Viola?

Scott

He would strike before Lady Ghouri - roll / act away.

[OOC: The other option is that Theodoric should really be Defending Viola - which means she can't be attacked until he's out of the way.

If you really need the cavalry coming in, Gregorius does have Premonitions, so there's a reason he might turn up in a hurry, probably bringing Alcimus with him.]

He could certainly be shielding the maga, good call.

I was thinking that Viola had kept the grogs behind her, but I was apparently confusing her actions in this story with those in the Demeter story, and that's where my confusion about who was where came from. She was actually more cautious than usual:

In any case, even if she'd kept the grogs behind her, Theodoric, an experienced shield grog, might have resisted. We really need people to play the grogs (and, ideally, Constantine). Salutor, could you play Theodoric at least? Would any of our new players like to join in?

Scott

I'll give first call to the new players (there are two grogs - Theodoric, a middle-aged combat grog statted here: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/covenfolk-character-sheets/5242/1)

If no-one wants to play them, then yes I'll take Theodoric.

Theodoric wasn't a man of big words, but the silent type. He had been waiting to defend Viola as needed. He didn't scream Noooooo! or anything foolish like that but simply stepped forward to interpose himself between the petite maga and the fairie's cruel spear. Of course, he was afraid, for being afraid is what keeps you alive in battle.

His shield, deftly raised, took the blow.

"Orders?", he asked.

Defense 10 + (confidence point spent: he is cautions+2) 3 + roll 4 (you don't seem to be using an online dice roller, if you do I'll use it) = Def +17 -->nothing happens?

The shield block is successful to the frustration of the lithe fae who sings a short sharp sound.
OOC: next actions, next round. Lady Ghouri is last initiative, the other smaller fae around 5s at this stage. Safe to say that all the humans are in close range to Lady Ghouri with the maga protected. The rabbit and fox are many paces away atop a stone boulder, and the songbird closer to them between the two groups. The snow continues to fall.
..So your actions.

Viola is annoyed. However, she's not ready to kill Ghori yet, and so she's not going to whack her with Life-linked Spontaneous Magic and a pile of vis (that trick probably only works once, so it had better be the final word).

Instead, she'll CrHe a log under Ghori's feet, figuring that's easier to aim than Eye, and let her trip as she lunges toward Theodoric. That's a base 1, with a +2 for Voice range, so a 3.
The casting total: (Cr 8 + He 6 +2 Sta) / 5 = 3--no roll or Fatigue required for the spell itself.

However, we shall roll Finesse for targeting...probably a Qui roll:
Finesse 3 + 1? for precision specialty +1 Qui + stress die...and a botch. Ugh.

Scott

[ OOC: Did you actually botch or just zero the Finesse roll? ]
If an actual botch the log is created at your own feet (resolve Pen/movement impacts), otherwise the log lands nowhere particularly dangerous aside the path.
[hr][/hr] Init order: Constantine 14, Viola 5, Smaller fae 4, Theodoric 3, Lady Ghouri 2,

I botched the Finesse roll. It's obviously not going to pen her Parma (it's not range Pers, so it would have to), but it's still in the way (that was the point, to create an object that would interfere with Ghori without having to penetrate), so I suppose she trips over it, or makes some kind of Athletics roll?

An Athletics roll would probably be:
Athletics 0 + 0 Dex + stress die 0 (and she manages not to botch despite not having Athletics, unless you want me to roll 6 or more botch dice--I got another 0 on #6).

Scott

(I think it’s enough say that the low athletics check result means that Viola can’t easily move till the start of her next action. Call it a movement penalty)

Was her familiar repeating the use of the distract power?

Sure, Constantine can attempt to dazzle again--it may not do much, but he's not really a cut out for combat. [Maybe Viola could enchant a laser turret into his bond....]

Ideally, we could get someone else to play Constantine--he's supposed to be Independent.

Scott

Constantine's Courtship Dance first activates, affecting the fae and two non-magi humans, with both Simon and Theodoric dazed, and also the three smaller fae Meadow (fox), Ghardouri (rabbit), Beshmu (songbird) all dazed too. Lady Ghouri is not affected by the dance.

There is movement in the quicksand near where the small bear sank.

It is now Viola's action.

[hr][/hr]
OCC. Courtship Dance - roll Athletics 5 +1 for flying specialty +3 Dex + stress die 3 = 12. Uses one more Might, two spent in total. Rolls to resist for the characters Simon, Theodoric, Meadow (fox), Ghardouri (rabbit), Beshmu (songbird); all fail.

A small line of drool starts running down Theodoric's chin, as he stares, transfixed, at Constantine.

Let's try the log again.

As before, the he casting total: (Cr 8 + He 6 +2 Sta + Aura 5?) / 5 = 4--no roll or Fatigue required for the spell itself.

Now, God help us, for the Finesse roll to put in front of Ghori's feet as she charges toward Theodoric and/or Viola:
Finesse 3 + 1? for precision specialty +1 Qui + stress die 1 = 5 or 6 (at least it's not a botch this time)

Scott

MTK if you rolled a 1 for Finesse that’s a roll again and double result.

Yeah, I realized that this morning. The next roll is a 6, making the stress die 12, for a total of 16 or 17--presumably that's enough to put the log in the right place. :stuck_out_tongue:

Scott

Yes, the sizable log appears accurately plonked in front of her feet, edging as close as could be to her feet. Lady Ghouri can't easily move forward. It's a hindrance rather than a barrier though, as her long spear is useful at range and she was already close enough to Theodoric for him to shield-block her last attack against Viola. As the rest of the grogs and fae are dazzled by the butterflies dancing spell Lady Ghouri strikes out at Theodoric.
Having stepped up to block the spear Theodoric stands a little forward from the rest of the group, and is unfortunately "distracted" so he can't really actively defend against Lady Ghouri's strike. With the disadvantage of poor-ish footing she is able to strike him and his passive defense scores are no match for her due to being distracted; her strike should have caused a savage wound - instead she strikes him with the side of the spear drawing a gash but causing only a small wound.
The other fae seem to briefly notice the blood despite the butterflies distraction, especially the fox who licks its lips with dazzled eyes and Lady Ghouri smiles wickedly.
[hr][/hr]
That's a light wound for Theodoric, -1 on actions.

The idea was to trip her--having a log appear in front of while you're moving should at least force an Athletics roll to avoid tripping. It's not like a big tree trunk that simple stops movement; rather, it's a log a few inches thick that's less noticeable but more meddlesome.

OK, what next? Does Viola have any take on why the spear didn't do more damage?

Scott