Chapter 3c (Autumn 1228): The Tribunal of Thebes

Whilst Nereides were classically sea nymphs, these days it's a term that gets used for all types of nymphs and female courtly faeries. In Chryse's case, the fact that her blood is manifesting in flowers growing in her hair suggests a Herbam connection is mostly likely.

Symeon smiles. "I'm not going to choose a Tytalus! Is it true that they shave half your hair off if you don't walk up stairs backwards on Tuesdays?"

"Most magi don't bring servants to the interviews, though."

I'm going to take a leaf from things like the way Petition totals are calculated in the Church, and say that a sufficiently well constructed argument gives you a small bonus to your original roll rather than a different roll. EF 9 for a +1 bonus, so you can retain the confidence point. Fundementally, this is interacting with children, not winning a logical argument. In theory you could use Leadership (via intimidation) or Guile (via trying to trick them) rather than Charm, but I was assuming neither was going to be Viola's preferred approach (especially as they both have the chance to backfire spectacularly).

Noted. Is there anything else she wants to do here?

"Not right...Actually, yes, I'll take a look at the register, thank-you." Catella glances at the rest of the party with her. "Leontius, Guilleme. Rosanna. I'll see you later, if that's okay?"

The two men and Rosanna leave, the small girl following behind her new parens.

Catella starts to read through the register, although she seems to Timaios be going through the motions to an extent, up until she gets to the entry for the Cretan girl, at which point she begins to look a lot more interested - and also a bit worried.

"I'm sure that some Tytalus, some time, has done that, or something very close to it, but each Tytalus has his or her own approach to competition...At least a Tytalus does it to make you tougher. I would worry more about the magi who hurt you to no purpose."

"Hmm....I suppose that's true. You might have to be more clever at figuring that out."

Sounds fair. I don't think Viola would see intimidation or guile as a good way to start a relationship with an apprentice.

Oh, no, she's made enough of a mess of her life for one day as it is. I think she'd rather have Symeon as an apprentice, but she can't help but take pity on Chryse (quite aside from her obvious affinity for a fellow half-faerie with an association with Herbam).

Scott

Okay - on to the tribunal meeting, then (once Timaios is done)? Or was there anything else you wanted me to SG before then (I know you mentioned talking to other Merinita, but can that just be handled in summary or do you need to go into more detail)?

A summary is fine.

Scott

Timaios waits patiently for the Bonisagus, then finally prompts her, “... did you have a question?”

"This girl," Catella asks Timaois. "Creating puzzles, rather than trying to solve them? Literally creating physical objects, or are they more mental exercises? Given the Cretan link - labyrinths? Just labyrinths, or other types of puzzle as well?"

"I haven't been told, though I would be happy to ask. I would presume physical contrivances, otherwise it would be difficult for anyone to know of her, ah, hobby if there was no way to see it. Give me a moment and I'll find out for you," Timaios says, then inclines his head and returns to the herd of would-be apprentices to find out if the Cretan girl has been making actual puzzles, or just drawing labyrinths or inventing mathematical riddles with which to interrogate passers-by.

The two main concentrations of Merinita in the tribunal are at Aegea and at the Theban covenant of Calliope and her mater. Viola is therefore already at least already passingly familiar with most of them, but she uses the opportunity to catch up with news. Lucien the Scholar asks after the progress of her efforts with Halia, and attempts to get her interested in the Children of Olympos, a League dedicated to tying the Tribunal more closely to the faerie gods.

One bit of gossip Viola does pick up is that both Lucien and Krum of Bjornaer (the stallion Heart-beasted magus Viola met at Aegea) are considering taking apprentices this tribunal.

Her most recent interest appears to be a type of puzzle called an Archimedes' box - a set of shapes which she is working out how to combine to create specific silouhettes, then challenging other apprentices (and the occasional adult) to replicate.

Viola will display enough interest to keep him talking....If nothing else, the Children's knowledge might be useful in feature in dealing with Halia and others among the local fae.

Is she able to feel out either (particularly Lucien) to find their thoughts on the apprentice candidates?

Scott

Timaios returns with the requested information for the Bonisagus.

"She has been recently working with an Archimedes' Box. She apparently creates intricate contrivances and you might find it intriguing to see one. To me it sounds like something that a Criamon might experiment with, but it may simply be the sign of an agile mind," he says.

Lucien is quite willing to be evangelistic in general terms, although Viola notes he doesn't go into details on the hows and wheres. The Divine and magi have never had a comfortable relationship, and the fall of Constantinople clearly shows it is now in decline, and the infernal is worse. The Magic Realm doesn't fundementally care about magi; its creatures are too wrapped up in their own affairs. Instead, we should turn to the Realm that truly cares about - needs - mankind. The greek gods have existed since before Christ, and will continue to do so after Christendom finally collapses. The tribunal should put aside the motley collection of patrons it currently has, and instead each should forge an alliance with an apprpropriate god - Poseidon for Aegea, Hephaistos for Ingasia, Athena for Polyaigos...

Lucien hasn't actually been to see the apprentices at the time Viola talks to him, but from what he's heard, there's a boy there that shares his own love for the ancient stories. Also, another boy with a very strong connection to the sea who may be worth looking into further - if not for him, maybe for Amphitrite.

Krum (who appears to be Lucien's main source of information) thinks one of the boys may have a goat heartbeast, which from his point of view is apparently a good thing.

"My own work involves studying a couple of non-Hermetic mechanisms owned by Alexander. If she does have a talent for that sort of thing, rather than just liking riddles, she could be a good fit for me." Catella ponders a moment longer. "I might bring a couple of devices with me to an interview, see what she makes of them."

She turns to Timaios. "The other question is...if I do take her as an apprentice, is that going to be a problem, Quaesitor? After Rosanna?"

Viola will continue acting sincerely interested, and ask intelligent questions, and bite her tongue on the subject of what she thinks of faeries.

"The boy whose mother drowned in shipwreck, but returned long enough to hand the newborn over to his father? I spent a long time talking with him. He's a hard worker, very charismatic, and loves telling stories about sea monsters, and I can only wonder about his true nature....I just didn't feel that I know enough about Aquam to serve his talents well."

Seems like a good time for an Intrigue roll:

Intrigue 1 +3 (Pre) or -2 (Com) + stress die 5 = 9 or 4

Scott

Timaios pauses momentarily, then says, "The short answer is, it's certainly legal. The long answer is, Tribunal rulings have consistently upheld that the Bonisagus right to claim apprentices, as part of the Code, will not be infringed; but, if someone feels very strongly about a specific apprentice, and believe that they were denied an opportunity to foster someone who fits their specialties, they may take personal umbrage up to and including a declaration of Wizard War, which is also valid. So... just make sure that when you claim an apprentice, you aren't going to make a powerful enemy of someone else." He nods in the direction of the departed Redcaps and adds, "You already have powerful allies, so, that may not be an issue. Also this isn't a case of claiming an apprentice whom someone else already started training. My opinion is that the chances of any significant objections are low." He gives an easygoing smile to the maga. "if you like I can always consult with the other Quaesitores just to make sure I'm not missing anything."

After Viola has been appearing interested for long enough, Lucian asks if she'd be interested in helping the League with its goals.

[OOC: Oh, and depending on exactly what you're trying to do with this, you may want to make a Guile roll.]

"Yes, that sounds like the second one," Lucian agrees. "The birth doesn't immediately fit any of the fae I can think of, though - the nereides sometimes seduce and drown stupid young men, but I've never heard of them doing it to a woman. I'll take a look at him, though - there may still be a few fae in the tribunal I don't know about!" From his laugh, he doesn't seem to think that a particularly likely prospect.

Catella smiles back. "No, that should be fine, thank-you, Timaios. I think the Criamon are unlikely to take things to that extreme. I will take my leave of you, then, and return at a later time with some samples to test the girl on."

Viola sighs, and gives a knowing look. "I'm having enough trouble with the prickly Tremere at my covenant, trying to convince him that Halia will be a good patron....He's on a crusade against paganism. I think that actively assisting the League would make him see red, and my first duty is to maintain Nova Casta--and I need him for that."

Viola gives up on this tact, and nods. "No, I'm not at all sure he's touched by the fae, but there's something odd about his nature--perhaps the influence comes from the Magic realm.

Scott

"Incidentally, Catella," says Timaios as she is about to go, "Do you know anyone here from that eastern covenant - Nova Castra, I think? I was hoping to make an acquaintance."